Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:41 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I do all the time and I'll tell you why. I get sick of people who repeat themselves over and over even though you have addressed their comments over and over.

Kind of like what you do. Many posters on here have proven you wrong but yet you still post the same thing over and over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 03:41 PM

8,501 posts, read 3,339,003 times
Some details on requests Homeland Security made to Congress for Trump in advance of last year's wall-for-DACA negotiations that fell apart.

$18 billion for construction of 316 miles of new fencing and 407 miles of replacement fencing. This must be where the 1,000 miles of proposed wall comes from (316 + 407 + (original 700 - 407) = 1,016.

Then there was an additional $33 billion for new technology, improved access roads, and thousands of additional Border Patrol agents.

The offer from the bipartisan Senate group that the WH ultimately rejected was $25 billion in exchange for DACA.

One of the Republican talking points was the offer was unacceptable since it was spread over 10 years. The original WH request was for "over the next decade."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...all-1515148381
https://www.architectmagazine.com/pr...negotiations_o

Not clear how the footage is calculated. The entire border is 2,000 miles resulting in statements that Trump's wall would cover one-half the footage. That works if there's a straight line. But the Rio Grande winds so much it alone is 2,000 miles. To cover mile for mile you'd have to pull back some distance from the border. Or build contiguous with the River but cover less.

Last edited by EveryLady; 01-29-2019 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 04:28 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I do all the time and I'll tell you why. I get sick of people who repeat themselves over and over even though you have addressed their comments over and over.

Kind of like what you do. Many posters on here have proven you wrong but yet you still post the same thing over and over and over again.
Yet, you all haven't proven anyone wrong when it comes to the wall/barrier. Are you saying are you sick of hearing from your ilk when it comes to falsehoods about the border? If so, you are making progress.

The BP wants good barriers along parts of the border. They see the problems up close and personal on a daily basis.

Are you saying that you and your ilk know better than the BP?

Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yet, you all haven't proven anyone wrong when it comes to the wall/barrier. Are you saying are you sick of hearing from your ilk when it comes to falsehoods about the border? If so, you are making progress.

The BP wants good barriers along parts of the border. They see the problems up close and personal on a daily basis.

This is a good article about the border patrol wants:
https://qz.com/1525881/customs-and-b...-boring-truth/

Old 01-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This is a good article about the border patrol wants:
https://qz.com/1525881/customs-and-b...-boring-truth/
There is nothing new in that article. In fact, I've seen it before. The BP wants barriers as well as technology. They also understand that some areas on the border no fence/wall is needed because those areas are impassable.

No one in this thread has ever said we need a continuous wall from San Diego to Tijuana

From your link:

CBP officials want a “border wall system” that includes more technology, more manpower, and new infrastructure, but they never mentioned a coast-to-coast wall, which Trump once proposed. A barrier is not effective without technology or access roads, they said, and technology is less effective without barriers.

--------------------------------

Despite you and your ilk constantly saying "walls are stupid", they, indeed, are effective. One only has to look at the wall Bill Clinton had built on the San Diego/Tijuana border. That wall has drastically cut down on illegal crossings and crime.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:

Lets have the wall/fence/barrier design, proposed length and areas, cost analysis for building and maintaining, and schedule. I haven't seen any proposal that includes the above, have you? Do you think it is good judgement to shell out billions without a plan?

Old 01-29-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Lets have the wall/fence/barrier design, proposed length and areas, cost analysis for building and maintaining, and schedule. I haven't seen any proposal that includes the above, have you? Do you think it is good judgement to shell out billions without a plan?
What do you think will happen if there is a plan on the table and the democrats don't like it? They won't give a cent for it. You know, plan or no plan, the democrats won't cooperate.

Sad to say, the money has to come first, then comes the plan.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:48 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
What do you think will happen if there is a plan on the table and the democrats don't like it? They won't give a cent for it. You know, plan or no plan, the democrats won't cooperate.

Sad to say, the money has to come first, then comes the plan.
No business runs that way. No bank will loan money for a half-baked idea.

Sorry, trump's plan of "give me the money first and I will build the whatever wherever after you shell out billions," just isn't responsible.

No wonder all of trump's businesses went bankrupt.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:57 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:

Sorry, trump's plan of "give me the money first and I will build the whatever wherever after you shell out billions," just isn't responsible.

No wonder at all.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:

All of his businesses?

Exaggerate much, do you? Not all of them went out of business. Some went into Chapter 11. Besides, when it comes to Atlantic City, other hotels there ended up filing for bankruptcy.

We're not talking about getting the money for the border from a "bank". Plus you realize that the US is deep in debt.

We give billions in foreign aid without having any idea as to what those countries are going to do with that money. And all of that is okay with you. It seems you hold double standards.

Just admit it --- you want open borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies