Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Trump's approval rating among Republican voters is always extremely high, in fact historical.
What do Democrat voters think of Pelosi?
Failure.
Democrat have already lost 2020, thanks to Pelosi.
Rank and file Democrats don't have much of a problem with Pelosi. Trumpers have never liked Pelosi - big surprise.

But if you think the rest of the Country shares your animosity, you'll be in for a rude awakening in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 06:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Why would the GOP put country over party now when they've been doing the exact opposite for the past two years and more?

One of the many ironies of this shutdown is that immigration judges (who apparently are considered to be non-essential workers) will not be hearing any immigration cases until this shutdown is finally ended. I just heard on the PBS Newshour that something like 800,000 immigration cases are now pending and should the shutdown continue, many of these cases will be strung out for years. So, Trumpers, does that make you feel safer? I mean, really?
Safer? Yes it does. Means those people stay locked up.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Safer? Yes it does. Means those people stay locked up.
Uhmmm... No. Remember "catch and release"? Plus, it is unconstitutional to keep anyone locked up indefinitely without ever going before a judge to have a trial/hearing. No immigration judges, no rulings on the validity of an asylum seeker's claims. The ongoing shutdown will just make the migrant problem worse.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I guess I don't understand why the shutdown is even happening. Trump should simply take the 12 Billion required to build his wall out of the 25 Billion that Mexico gave him during his campaign and build it with that.
Problem solved.

Not funny. Trump never said that Mexico would write a check for the wall. What is this $12 billion you are referring to? Trump is asking for $5 billion to start the wall and the completed wall will be $25 billion.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:59 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see Trump signing this at all. I want the government funded but I don't see it working...
Does congress need him to sign it? With a Veto, 2/3 majority vote from house and senate can override a presidential veto. I can see this as the more likely solution the longer the shutdown drags on.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
is today the day Pelosi bows to Trump demands?

she may hold off until next week if she's strong, eventually Trump gets wall money.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If it is so important to the Dems, which it isn't, to open the government back up then the Dems should put wall funding in the bill, but they won't because they don't care one bit about you, me or this country. They ONLY care about retaining power and control.
Why would they put funding in for a wall, the senate passed a bill on December 19 with no funding for a wall. Tell me what changed in the last 2 weeks. I'm at a point where they should just give Trump his money just to shut him up and he can build a few miles then declare the border secure.

Republicans did not support this symbolic gesture in December but Trump changed his mind.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Some snips from the story in Bloomberg:
[i]
This is all just a show. They don't call DC ugly Hollywood for nothing.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Default What are the chances congress will reopen the government without Trump?

While Trump says he will Veto any budget without his border wall funding, Congress can override a Presidential veto with a 2/3 majority. The longer the government shut down lasts, the more likely I see as an outcome. Trump doesn't seem to care about the plight of Federal workers. While I don't believe Federal workers are living paycheck to paycheck, most can't continue to go without pay for months, especially if they are working and not getting paid. Your going to start to run into situations were they call out sick or don't show up to work at all. With no TSA workers, no one get though airport security, with no air traffic controllers, planes can't fly, etc. While they claim Social Security checks will still be send out as normal, if your not going to get paid, are you really going to show up to work to get the checks out on time? Also no new claims can be processed, so no one else can retire, the list goes on and on.

Once this happens, I see this as the death blow to the Trump presidency, once congress realizes they can get stuff down without the president, they will simply bypass him to get legislation done.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
zero, people don't work for nothing. Trump's in charge, accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies