Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
How is it people don't have savings to live off of? I'm pretty far left and even I don't feel for anyone who lives above their means, period.

Dems aren't interested in negotiations how is this a Trump shutdown still? They promised last time they would discuss it this time around and now they aren't even doing that. They haven't even gone after DACA citizenship which is just stupid; give us DACA and the idiot in the White House can have his fence IMO.
Various sectors of the economy routinely experience slow downs and layoffs and those involved survive. We are expected to believe fedguv employment is immune from such forces and those in its employ are somehow incapable preparing for such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are kinda essential, the TSA is not. Essential employees are being paid........which is another discussion.
No, they are not being paid. https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019...nment-shutdown

Old 01-09-2019, 06:34 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I have no idea the specifics. We have a large government employer in town and some are paid as essential and some are not.

Kinda sad that an air traffic controller doesn't have enough money to make a car payment set aside. They make pretty good money.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 AM

Of course all the brainwashing has created a blind spot to the real problem, whichin this case is govt ownership and meddling in various sectors of air travel.
Here we have air travel being held up for a fence on an imaginary line in the sand.Why do people want the state so involved in such critical matters is beyond rational thought. Wait until it fully takes over health care then it will be: "no cancer treatment for you until the shut down is over!"

Old 01-09-2019, 06:37 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
I thought people hated the TSA.

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
I have no idea the specifics. We have a large government employer in town and some are paid as essential and some are not.

Kinda sad that an air traffic controller doesn't have enough money to make a car payment set aside. They make pretty good money.
It's awfully presumptuous to assume you know everyone's situation. Thanks to our crappy healthcare system many of them could be struggling under medical bills (yes, even federal employees. I know first hand). They could be caring for aging parents. They could be going through a divorce. One mentioned a newborn. I know several dual federal employee households. It's not that all these employees are irresponsible with their money. It's that our government is simply incompetent.

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
How is it people don't have savings to live off of? I'm pretty far left and even I don't feel for anyone who lives above their means, period.

Dems aren't interested in negotiations how is this a Trump shutdown still? They promised last time they would discuss it this time around and now they aren't even doing that. They haven't even gone after DACA citizenship which is just stupid; give us DACA and the idiot in the White House can have his fence IMO.
Trump hasn't even said he would be willing to barter DACA for the wall. The Democrats DO want border security, just not a wall because they realize a wall is just a symbol and don't do much. Drugs will still come out through the ports of entry, by air and by sea despite the wall. People will still overstay their visa (more common than border immigration) despite the wall. We will still see the caravans despite the wall.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:38 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
It’s a stupid service. They should all quit and let the airports handle the security again.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's awfully presumptuous to assume you know everyone's situation. Thanks to our crappy healthcare system many of them could be struggling under medical bills (yes, even federal employees. I know first hand). They could be caring for aging parents. They could be going through a divorce. One mentioned a newborn. I know several dual federal employee households. It's not that all these employees are irresponsible with their money. It's that our government is simply incompetent.
To the bold: agree and its why the govt shouldn't be running security and traffic control. I hear both D's and R's gripe loudly about gov incompetency yet they continually support its involvement into almost every facet of our lives. When will we learn?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:

Essential employees are forced to work without pay UNTIL the shutdown ends. When the President tells the Senate Minority Leader that he would keep the government shutdown for months if not years just to confirm it and not say it is partisan scare tactics, it gives you reason to call in as a TSA agents or quit your job to put food on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies