Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Naw, no thanks we will pass and enjoy the smaller government footprint for awhile.
When was the last time federal government workers voted Republican? Did they feel the pain of Obama, like the common people?
You have no idea how people vote so stop parroting Trump. And what difference should it make anyway. It’s almost like you’re saying Trump is punishing them because he believes none of them voted for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
The GOP needs to put country before party. This Individual 1 shutdown is baseless.

But two Senate Republicans who are up for reelection in 2020 broke with Trump and party leaders on their shutdown strategy, saying it was time to end the impasse even if Democrats won’t give Trump the more than $5 billion in border funding he is demanding.

The comments from Sens. Cory Gardner (Colo.) and Susan Collins (Maine) — the only Senate Republicans running for reelection in states Trump lost — pointed to cracks within the GOP that could grow as the shutdown nears the two-week mark. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) reiterated Thursday that the Senate will only take up government spending legislation that Trump supports.

McConnell’s stance prompted angry attacks Thursday from new House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other Democrats, who insisted they were trying to give Republicans a way out of the standoff by passing two pieces of legislation: one a package of six spending bills that were negotiated on a bipartisan basis in the Senate and would reopen nearly all the federal agencies that have been shuttered since Dec. 22, and the second a stopgap spending bill through Feb. 8 covering only the Department of Homeland Security.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.f9a47c74427c

Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Naw, no thanks we will pass and enjoy the smaller government footprint for awhile.
When was the last time federal government workers voted Republican? Did they feel the pain of Obama, like the common people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What pain? I thrived and built my career while Obama was president while I wasn't doing that hot at all when W was in the Oval Office
And I did poorly at the start of Obama's administration, well at the end, and even better under Trump but none of that matters at all. Debt/money supply, not the party of the sitting President, drives the economic cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHe0bXAIuk0

Old 01-03-2019, 09:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
I don't see Trump signing this at all. I want the government funded but I don't see it working...

Old 01-03-2019, 09:27 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
House Votes to End Shutdown Amid Trump Veto Threat Over Wall
They should get all these garbage votes out of the way now. Impeach, end shutdown, medicare for all, investigate, appoint special counsels, and all that other stuff that will go nowhere: just do it all now and get it over with.

Then maybe they can meet with The Senate and The President and talk about something that will be taken seriously.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:27 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Some snips from the story in Bloomberg:

The new House Democratic majority voted Thursday to end the partial government shutdown but brought Congress no closer to resolving the impasse over President Donald Trump’s demand to pay for a border wall.

The House voted 239-192 to pass the first government spending bill, H.J. Res. 1, which would reopen the Department of Homeland Security through Feb. 8 to allow time for continued talks on the border wall. The chamber then passed a second measure, H.R. 21, which would open the other eight shuttered cabinet departments through September, on a 241-190 vote.

Republican Representative Mark Meadows of North Carolina, a close confidant of Trump and chairman of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, predicted that the shutdown would last for months.

Representative Meadows is being awfully blase about forcing Federal workers to bear the brunt of the shutdown’s effects. More than 450,000 “essential” employees are working without pay, including law enforcement, border patrol agents and airport screeners. These workers received paychecks at the end of December but will miss their next checks on Jan. 11 unless the agencies reopen. Among the agencies affected is the US Coast Guard. Meadows expects law enforcement and the Coast Guard to work for free for months on end because Trump wants to engage in a temper tantrum over his damned wall? Maybe Mexico is going to cough up the money to pay the wages of all those government workers?

Everytime I think conservatives can't sink any lower, I get proven wrong yet again.
You mean this country isn't run by a dictator? Surly you jest. Give 'em a minute, they'll go back to normal.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
The GOP needs to put country before party. This Individual 1 shutdown is baseless.

But two Senate Republicans who are up for reelection in 2020 broke with Trump and party leaders on their shutdown strategy, saying it was time to end the impasse even if Democrats won’t give Trump the more than $5 billion in border funding he is demanding.

The comments from Sens. Cory Gardner (Colo.) and Susan Collins (Maine) — the only Senate Republicans running for reelection in states Trump lost — pointed to cracks within the GOP that could grow as the shutdown nears the two-week mark. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) reiterated Thursday that the Senate will only take up government spending legislation that Trump supports.

McConnell’s stance prompted angry attacks Thursday from new House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other Democrats, who insisted they were trying to give Republicans a way out of the standoff by passing two pieces of legislation: one a package of six spending bills that were negotiated on a bipartisan basis in the Senate and would reopen nearly all the federal agencies that have been shuttered since Dec. 22, and the second a stopgap spending bill through Feb. 8 covering only the Department of Homeland Security.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.f9a47c74427c
Why would the GOP put country over party now when they've been doing the exact opposite for the past two years and more?

One of the many ironies of this shutdown is that immigration judges (who apparently are considered to be non-essential workers) will not be hearing any immigration cases until this shutdown is finally ended. I just heard on the PBS Newshour that something like 800,000 immigration cases are now pending and should the shutdown continue, many of these cases will be strung out for years. So, Trumpers, does that make you feel safer? I mean, really?

Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see Trump signing this at all. I want the government funded but I don't see it working...
He doesn't have to sign it. The power of the veto ... it goes back, they vote then done deal. May be after this President the people in this country will see, just how congress was suppose to be running things all along, but didn't, cause having a president just sign whatever, was easier. Now they have to work. lol

Old 01-03-2019, 09:35 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
Here are a few other important points:

A Quinnipiac University poll last month found that a majority of Americans, 54%, oppose building a wall, while 43% support it. A CNN poll, also from December, found 57% against it and 38% for it. Mr. Trump didn’t take questions from reporters.

The House package includes six spending bills that have bipartisan support in the Senate. The bills would reopen the nine federal agencies affected by the shutdown: the Environmental Protection Agency and the Departments of Justice, State, Housing and Urban Development, Transportation, Treasury, Agriculture, Commerce and Interior.

The short-term homeland security bill would extend current funding for the department, including money for fencing, bollard barriers, levees and technology—but not a concrete wall. Republicans have said those funds constitute wall money, while the Democrats frame the package as funding border security and not a wall.

The package passed by the House Thursday night differs from a Senate bill passed in December that would have funded all of the currently closed agencies, including DHS, but only through Feb. 8.

Mr. Trump’s stance has shifted on what Congress must send him to reopen the government. He initially demanded $5 billion for the border wall, then signaled he would sign the short-term spending bill passed by the Senate, before reversing himself.

Recently, Vice President Mike Pence and acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney made an offer centered on $2.5 billion in border security to Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) that Democrats rejected. But on Wednesday, Mr. Trump said he wouldn’t accept a deal with $2.5 billion in border security.

Democrats said Mr. Trump’s changing positions has made it impossible for anyone else to negotiate on his behalf, including administration officials and GOP senators trying to reach a deal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/house-p...d=hp_lead_pos1

Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If the Senate passes this funding bill and Trump vetoes it, the shutdown will be entirely on him and not even his most dim-witted supporter will be thinking otherwise. His autocratic arrogance should no longer be tolerated by anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies