Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Stop chuckling and realize that your own view may be the result of all the anti-'50s propaganda you've read. Beaver's American dream in the suburbs with a stay-at-home mom was indeed the kind of life many had then, and many others aspired to.
I don't think anyone is debating the reality of the stay-at-home mom, but that whole program was based on a very rose-tinted view of life. No one ever seemed to have any really serious problems, and that simply wasn't true, not of the 50s, or of any other era.

As for "Seinfeld," well, I found it funny, but not because any of the characters were particularly likable - they weren't. For the most part, they were too cynical and self-absorbed to be the sort I would seek out as a friend. The show was funny because of the things they talked about - stuff everyone thinks of, but not many people had dared to talk about on TV. Think "Master of my domain" as a prime example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't think anyone is debating the reality of the stay-at-home mom, but that whole program was based on a very rose-tinted view of life. No one ever seemed to have any really serious problems, and that simply wasn't true, not of the 50s, or of any other era.
It was a sitcom though. People tuned in to laugh and feel good, not to deal with really serious problems. Did anyone ever really believe that there were no serious problems in the '50s because they had none on Beaver?

Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
If they're offended by the show, they're completely missing the entire point of the show: Seinfeld and his friends were sociopathic a-holes. The show's finale wrapped that one up with a big red bow.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
It was a sitcom though. People tuned in to laugh and feel good, not to deal with really serious problems. Did anyone ever really believe that there were no serious problems in the '50s because they had none on Beaver?
It's hard to say. When I hear people wax all nostalgic about those days, I have to wonder. That's kind of the whole point: lots of folks seem to believe that the show was accurate.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Seinfeld and Friends were a blot on the 90s. Neither had any racial diversity to speak of even though they were both supposed to occur in diverse NYC.
oh dear god...

Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
One of the best comedy shows of all time and not even safe from millennials.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Seinfeld” might offend young people, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Millennial-focused website Bustle is taking heat for publishing a listicle that examines all the reasons why “Seinfeld” would be a little too edgy in the modern climate of policing everything that isn’t deemed politically correct.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...nd-millennials
Some of the best comedy I have ever seen is SJW's getting triggered.

I really don't know how this generation is going to cope when they realise they aren't all that special after all. Can you imagine this generation having to cope with ageing, ill health and their own ultimate mortality. I think they may be horrified to learm that they are not entitled to love forever.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It's hard to say. When I hear people wax all nostalgic about those days, I have to wonder. That's kind of the whole point: lots of folks seem to believe that the show was accurate.
Well it was post WWII. The US benefitted from that and many people were able to flourish, buy homes and start families because of it, hence the baby boom.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
BTW, does anyone else wonder HOW on earth a show called 'Fresh Off the Boat' can be allowed?
How about "Black-Ish"? Most racist, anti White show on TV. It constantly talks about what Whites have done or are doing to Blacks, and is very negative about Whites solely around RACE, and SKIN COLOR. Yet nobody dares complain, because that's OK to our Media, Dems, Progressives, and other whom are OK with Pay back, retribution, and punishment of Whites.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:47 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
The "Indian giver" stuff is funny... odd that it never even occurred to me to think of "ticket scalping" in connection with Native Americans. The "soup Nazi"... it has nothing to do with neo-nazis or anything related to actual Nazis. How that made the top of Bustle's list is beyond me.
I've started using the term "native American giver".

Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
One of the best comedy shows of all time and not even safe from millennials.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Seinfeld” might offend young people, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Millennial-focused website Bustle is taking heat for publishing a listicle that examines all the reasons why “Seinfeld” would be a little too edgy in the modern climate of policing everything that isn’t deemed politically correct.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...nd-millennials
Please tell the PC POLICE to leave Seinfeld alone. It's only the greatest comedy ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies