Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I wouldn't call it homophobic, but there are a few jokes that haven't aged super gracefully. Mostly related to Joey's character from what I remember (I just rewatched it on Netflix last year).
I’m not sure who Joey is unless you’re thinking of Friends? I could see it there more than in Seinfeld.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
LOL at Seinfeld being too racy. They might curl up in the fetal position if they watched Archie Bunker. And Carroll O'Connor was a huge lib.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I remember when we were young our parents were the ones worried about what is too edgy. This is crazy!
Isn't it though? What an odd role reversal.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Originally Posted by buddy5
I grew up in the fifties, that is the way it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
lol...no it wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, Buddy, it wasn't. No one mopped the floor in heels and pearls. No one.

Did your mother? Because ok, yes, we have a winner. A mom who mopped the floor wearing heels and pearls and perfect makeup.
How do Ya'll know how it was when/where I lived?????? I was born in 1951 in the deep South. Think Mayberry. I don't question others' veracity, please don't question mine.

Actually, my mom had no pearls, but she did mop the floor dressed up for work. Most families in my block had stay at home moms, as did my cousins who lived nearby, we never locked our doors. I walked to school, times were gentler, the pace was slower, in the 60s everything changed.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:19 AM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

How do Ya'll know how it was when/where I lived?????? I was born in 1951 in the deep South. Think Mayberry. I don't question others' veracity, please don't question mine.

Actually, my mom had no pearls, but she did mop the floor dressed up for work. Most families in my block had stay at home moms, as did my cousins who lived nearby, we never locked our doors. I walked to school, times were gentler, the pace was slower, in the 60s everything changed.
May I make a suggestion? Use this phrase to disarm them: "You're invalidating my lived experience."

Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m not sure who Joey is unless you’re thinking of Friends? I could see it there more than in Seinfeld.
Sorry, but I'm not sure if you noticed the post you replied to was talking about Friends.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:03 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

I don't question that your specific experience was that. I question that it was for the majority of people.

But you're right, I wasn't there, so I don't know. My parents (and aunts and uncles) were, and they definitely have told me it wasn't like that at all. Keep in mind, this is the Midwest, not the deep South.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 AM

10,757 posts, read 4,344,063 times
Seinfeld is a cupcake show compared to Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
One of the best comedy shows of all time and not even safe from millennials.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Seinfeld” might offend young people, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Millennial-focused website Bustle is taking heat for publishing a listicle that examines all the reasons why “Seinfeld” would be a little too edgy in the modern climate of policing everything that isn’t deemed politically correct.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...nd-millennials
Many millennials are almost 40 years old and grew up on Seinfeld as a mainstay. Literally 0 millennials I know are offended by Seinfeld.

I guess you can choose to find any old website on the internet that posts something controversial and get upset about it. But that doesn't mean it represents the vast majority of 80 million people.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:37 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"I'm sure if you ask enough people someone will even claim the weather forecasts on TV are offensive."
yeah, with all that Black ice on the roads with the Chinook winds, and the Mammatus clouds.
Not to mention people hoping for a White Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies