Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
IDK, how many?
What does ones surname have to do with inequities their ancestors faced.

The vast majority of African American surnames comes from those who owned their ancestors. It's the name of their plantation owner (their owners) at the time of emancipation proclamation. Hence, an African American with an Irish Surname, like Shaq O'neal, likely point to his ancestors being owned by an Irish. Ergo, not many Irish enslaved by Africans....which is why you don't find Irish running around America with Nigerian surnames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 AM

34,227 posts, read 18,558,636 times
I agree there needs to be Reparations from former slave owners to slaves. If Sheila Jackson Lee can find any still alive, I will gladly support her.

Also, I think Indian Tribes need to pay reparations to other Indian tribes they murdered and enslaved for thousands of years until Europeans came along, and put a stop to their savage, and barbaric lifestyle.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:09 PM

36,482 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The vast majority of African American surnames comes from those who owned their ancestors. It's the name of their plantation owner (their owners) at the time of emancipation proclamation. Hence, an African American with an Irish Surname, like Shaq O'neal, likely point to his ancestors being owned by an Irish. Ergo, not many Irish enslaved by Africans....which is why you don't find Irish running around America with Nigerian surnames.
So is it your surname that causes you great suffering, lack of opportunities, poverty?

Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So is it your surname that causes you great suffering, lack of opportunities, poverty?

Why don't you try following the thread chain to see what triggered my bringing up surnames. It seems like you are guilty of intellectual welfare....wanting me to provide you answers when you can figure it our yourself....if you wanted to work. Obviously you are not looking for work.....you just want to sit around and make thoughts out of wedlock and have the thoughts of overs given to you.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-04-2019 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 12:18 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Slavery was established in North America by the British Empire. The British Crown profited greatly due to the slave trade and product produced by slave labor.

I say they should be hitting up Queen Elizabeth, Prince Harry and the rest of that lot for Reparations instead of fawning over them like celebrities.

Also have a look at the histories of all the TBTF banks.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Americans didn't do this. Democrats did.
The party of slavery
The party of the KKK
The party of Jim Crow
The party that fought against MLK
The party that refused the civil rights act
The party that told all black Americans they could not make it in life without government privilege.
The party of the sexual revolution
The party that has sexualized the children
The party that promotes and rewards single motherhood.

The party that has always used race as a weapon.

Ya, that party

Old 01-04-2019, 12:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Slavery was established in North America by the British Empire. The British Crown profited greatly due to the slave trade and product produced by slave labor.

I say they should be hitting up Queen Elizabeth, Prince Harry and the rest of that lot for Reparations instead of fawning over them like celebrities.

Also have a look at the histories of all the TBTF banks.
Slavery is a product of Islam. The Moors.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:26 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
My family immigrated to US in the 40s and we never had black slaves. Should we punished for something that we took no part of?

Also, can we start deporting all the DACAs because "sin of the father" and all?

Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
They were the same race....so how could it be called race "hustling"? Was it race hustling when the LAWS of this land allowed for black oppression? Still no answer.
Reparations is another form of gimme money.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM

39,182 posts, read 27,570,476 times
The United States did not pay reparations to Japanese Americans as an ethnic group. The United States government paid $$$ (don't remember exactly how much) per person to those Japanese Americans who were interned during World War II. Japanese Americans who were not interned (about 15,000 people) received nothing. The compensation was individual, not collective. I had two relatives living in Hawaii during ww2, and they did not receive anything. (There were harassment, but they were never interned, so they don't deserve any monetary restitution.)

So if one can find one living person who used to be a slave, I'd say, Go for it. But I don't think you can find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies