Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:19 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm all for Mueller finishing the investigation and doing a complete job, but I have a question that someone with more legal knowledge can hopefully explain. If Mueller is given all of the time and resources he needs, why are we going to have the House do their own investigation? Seems like a giant waste of resources and money unless there is something the House is doing that Mueller isn't? But if thats the case, why? And why not let Mueller do it all?

This isn't a political question to defend or attack Trump, its a simple question of wanting to understand a seeming lack of efficiency within our government.
I believe the House was investigating from the point of view as what happened and how can it be prevented from happening in the future. It was not conducted like that but I think that was the original intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What still sticks out is not only the fact that Russia didn't retaliate after we expelled their diplomats but also the private meeting between Trump and Putin at Helsinki right after the Russian indictments. There was also a private ruling by Justice Roberts on the Mueller investigation 2 weeks ago. This is so completely odd.
Don't make Roberts's decision to hear an appeal out to mean he is supporting Russia
There is only speculation about what country owns the company Mueller wants info from
Although I think it is Alpha Bank/owned by Russia, I admit
There is nothing documented as to what country or company is making the appeal...

An appeal of a court's decision to fine the company owned by foreign government for not turning over information to Mueller's investigation was made to the Supreme Court

Robert paused the punative fine to allow time for the Mueller investigation to respond to the appeal
That has been made
Now the Justices (back in session) will review the info from both sides--how much of Mueller's will be made available w/o redacting would be interesting to know
So apparently the Justices will vote on IF THEY SHOULD HEAR THE APPEAL--on the punative fine
Not make the decision either way that the lower court's decision was valid...that Mueller has right to have the info--
It is the punative fine that gives the decision its teeth--it much be pretty steep
So you could argue that means the entity is very powerful if it requires a steep fine per day to make it comply w/the court's decision...

Normally the SC does not hear cases that require information to be kept closed...
I don't know that Roberts had the right on his own to turn the appeal away w/o the other justices voting
I haven't read that info that I remember

Old 01-04-2019, 04:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Mueller is limited in scope in what he investigates. The House is not.
Makes sense, and now that you say it I remember "in scope" being part of the conversation on the news, so thanks for that reminder. I guess I'm still left wondering why anything would be out of scope within reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The senate investigation is still open but the house investigation closed months ago with many lose ends and a refusal to issue several subpoenas. I don't see much coming out of either at this point, I would just leave it up to Mueller.
Yeah, this is my perspective too on leaving it up to Mueller. Just doesn't make sense to have all of these investigations. I'd rather have the House and Senate working on actual legislation and being productive.

And thanks to each of you for the non-snarky reply, I was expecting to get attacked somewhere just for asking.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:28 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Actually the Starr investigation/whitewater resulted in 15 people being convicted of crimes. However none of it touched the Clintons. So Mueller needs a few more convictions.
My bad.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Don't make Roberts's decision to hear an appeal out to mean he is supporting Russia

An appeal of a court's decision to fine the company owned by foreign government for not turning over information to Mueller's investigation was made to the Supreme Court
Robert paused the punative fine to allow time for the Mueller investigation to respond to the appeal
That has been made
Now the Justices (back in session) will review the info from both sides--how much of Mueller's will be made available w/o redacting would be interesting to know
So apparently the Justices will vote on IF THEY SHOULD HEAR THE APPEAL--on the punative fine
Not make the decision either way that the lower court's decision was valid...

Normally the SC does not hear cases that require information to be kept closed...
I don't know that Roberts had the right on his own to turn the appeal away w/o the other justices voting
I haven't read that info that I remember

It appears this was regarding the subpoena that was issued to the one Russian firm that challenged Mueller, Roberts temporarily blocked the DC circuit court ruling.

Justices asked to intervene in grand jury dispute (UPDATED) - SCOTUSblog

Old 01-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Makes sense, and now that you say it I remember "in scope" being part of the conversation on the news, so thanks for that reminder. I guess I'm still left wondering why anything would be out of scope within reason.

Yeah, this is my perspective too on leaving it up to Mueller. Just doesn't make sense to have all of these investigations. I'd rather have the House and Senate working on actual legislation and being productive.

And thanks to each of you for the non-snarky reply, I was expecting to get attacked somewhere just for asking.
Partly it is timing
Flynn's sentencing has been delayed
So has Manafort's
Mueller's team needs to be in working order to deal with both of those
He can't close until those cases are settled from what I understand
And frankly any new indictments mean he won't close until they are settled...

So Roger Stone seems ripe for that to happen
Sam What's his name is appealing his
Just dealing with those two would mean he stays in business...

And we know the House is going to undo Nunes's coverup of all things Trump...
The House files bills of impeachment after all...
Why wouldn't they reopen the investigation and go after anyone who lied
Nunes kept lot of that under wraps...

Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:

Nah, I will save that for later It was a reasonable question.

I think the House investigations will be important for non-Trump things. Like investigating some of the corruption we have seen from folks he hired. And much more. But they will absolutely avoid stepping on Muellers toes if they can. I think a lot of folks view Mueller as the guy who will give honest non-political results. And I have no idea what will come out of that.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Partly it is timing
Flynn's sentencing has been delayed
So has Manafort's
Mueller's team needs to be in working order to deal with both of those
He can't close until those cases are settled from what I understand
And frankly any new indictments mean he won't close until they are settled...

So Roger Stone seems ripe for that to happen
Sam What's his name is appealing his
Just dealing with those two would mean he stays in business...

And we know the House is going to undo Nunes's coverup of all things Trump...
The House files bills of impeachment after all...
Why wouldn't they reopen the investigation and go after anyone who lied
Nunes kept lot of that under wraps.
Got it...that definitely seems to make sense. Guess I was just being idealistic and wishing we could just file the whole thing under Mueller for the sake of expediency.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Nah, I will save that for later It was a reasonable question.

I think the House investigations will be important for non-Trump things. Like investigating some of the corruption we have seen from folks he hired. And much more. But they will absolutely avoid stepping on Muellers toes if they can. I think a lot of folks view Mueller as the guy who will give honest non-political results. And I have no idea what will come out of that.
Thanks, I look forward to that later moment.

Agree, I just look at Muller as the more unbiased entity so was just wishing there was a way to get everything under his watch for this, but obviously I've forgotten and/or didn't even realize some of the complexities here. So many moving pieces.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Really? I'd say that maybe the recovery of proceeds from Manaforts crimes alone has paid for it. Along with whatever he gets from Cohen I suppose. Seriously the money argument doesnt work, and given just how many people have gone to jail neither does the nothing burger argument. This isnt "seeing it this way", this is reality and facts.

LOL. Cohen literally said he committed crimes on Trumps direction.

It would help if you used facts and reality. I mean, most of what you are saying is factually wrong.

Well given that its been noticed that Trump parrots Russian propaganda word for word, expect more of it.

And bashed for....just not being factual? Yeah. Expect that.
I don't think Cohen is the only one who said he committed crimes on Trump's orders...
We have long---time Trump cohort David Pecker making a plea deal with SDNY
Trump's CFO Allan. Weisselburg also agreed with Cohen's info re the two payoffs -election fraud--
Other charges re the Trump charity and other aspects of election fraud or money laundering during the campaign are likely forthcoming via the NY AG or SDNY
And Weisselburg is old--
He won't want to die in prison
And to my amazement he has not resigned from Trump Corp...
That is likely big mistake
Trump kept Cohen on as his "personal" attorney way too late
Now doing same thing w/the CPA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies