Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US House vote to ban the AR-15?
yes. 26 19.40%
no, perhaps wait until 2021, and then vote. 5 3.73%
no, don't vote to ban it, period. 94 70.15%
other (please explain below). 9 6.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:10 PM

2,984 posts, read 1,748,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It is just a fact that General Curtis LeMay introduced the AR-15 to the military, and later ran as the running mate of fervent racist/segregationist George Wallace (D, AL). It's not tough to connect those two dots.

I was not familiar with the M-14, but I see that it was similar to the M1 Grande. Both were larger, bulkier rifles designed for use by, and against larger, bulkier humans--i.e. white males. It is no accident that the AR-15 was introduced by an avowed racist.
Ladies and gentlemen...here you have it. The single most uninformed poster with regard to firearms that P & OC, and possibly everyone who reads this drivel...has ever seen! Take a bow OP, you are the greatest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
The vote would be strictly symbolic, with the Senate, White House, and SCOTUS all being still R-controlled. But it would send a powerful message to women, minorities, and millennials for 2020. Vote D, and this could be your reward.

The AR-15 was the weapon used in Sandy Hook, Parkland, Aurora, San Bernardino, and so many others.

It was first brought into the military around 1963 by Air Force General Curtis ("Bombs Away") Lemay. The prior weapon was the larger, heavier M1 Grande, which had been intended for use by and against large, bulky white males fighting in European land wars.

LeMay envisioned future fights in places like Vietnam, Central America, and the Middle East, where the enemy would not be white males, but instead brown people, and often women and children. LeMay considered the AR-15 was made-to-order for fighting such hordes. After retiring from the Air Force, LeMay ran as VP running mate with Southern segregationist George Wallace, who ran for President as an independent in 1968.

LeMay ordered several thousand of the weapons from Colt, and sold JFK on the idea of switching to the AR-15. JFK, when in the Senate, had been allies with many of the southern segregationist Democrats senators such as J. William Fulbright, Sam Ervin, etc. He went along with LeMay's idea and eventually acquired a personal AR-15 that he would take out on his boat. He used it to plink at floating debris.

The AR-15 was banned in 1994 by President Clinton, but the law had a 10 year sunset clause. It regained legal status in 2004 under George W. Bush. Bush officially opposed rescinding the ban, but he did nothing to stop it.

With divided government, it's going to be tough to get anything done anyway. Why not go for a symbolic vote, to prepare the way for 2021? It would be a chance to sharpen the debate, and raise awareness.

The AR-15 was never sold to the military. The AR-15 was marketed as sporting rifle to the general public, it preceded the M-16 which is the version sold to the military.

The reason it was chosen is because it's light and the ammunition is light thus allowing a soldier to carry much more ammunition which is important if that soldier needs to be on foot for a long time. It's also an easy gun to handle and operate, if you were going to learn to shoot this is an excellent gun to learn with. Last but not least it's cheap and easy to make, if the need came about to arm 20 million men this would be critically imporatant. These are all important characteristics for general issue weapon.

It was not chosen because it's particularly deadly, it replaced the M-14 which is a particularly deadly weapon. The M-14 however is a heavy weapon with heavy ammunition, it shoots a .308 also common in many large game rifles. It's also expensive relative to the M-16 and much more difficult weapon to handle. Bit of trivia but they were reissuing the M-14 to some troops in Iraq and Afghanistan because the characteristics that made the M-16 a suitable general purpose weapon were not quite suitable for some of the operations they were doing in that environment.

The primary difference between these weapons and their civilian counterparts are selective fire which allows a soldier to have burst mode and/or full auto.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Ladies and gentlemen...here you have it. The single most uninformed poster with regard to firearms that P & OC, and possibly everyone who reads this drivel...has ever seen! Take a bow OP, you are the greatest!

Yeah. What the heck is the M1 Grande? The weapon I fired in Marine Corps boot camp and infantry training in the early days of Vietnam was the Garand. Later we fired the M14 rifle. It had a 20 round magazine capacity and a hard hitting 7.62 round.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:37 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
If the AR-15 gets banned, would Democrats support "Gun Sanctuary States" where states instruct all of their law enforcement officers to (1) not enforce national gun laws and (2) not cooperate with national enforcement officers trying to enforce gun laws?

My guess is Democrats being very consistent would support "gun sanctuary states."

Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
it is just a fact that general curtis lemay introduced the ar-15 to the military, and later ran as the running mate of fervent racist/segregationist george wallace (d, al). It's not tough to connect those two dots.

I was not familiar with the m-14, but i see that it was similar to the m1 grande. Both were larger, bulkier rifles designed for use by, and against larger, bulkier humans--i.e. White males. It is no accident that the ar-15 was introduced by an avowed racist.
The AR !5 was never used by the military.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
What they should ban are handguns and concealed carry. But it is imperative that the public have access to military weapons for when civil war comes to America again, and mark my word, it will one day. Whichever side has the most firepower is gonna win. Handguns are useless in war.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:55 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
What they should ban are handguns and concealed carry. But it is imperative that the public have access to military weapons for when civil war comes to America again, and mark my word, it will one day. Whichever side has the most firepower is gonna win. Handguns are useless in war.
I dont know about civil war, but you are advocating people be stripped of the right of self defense. Sorta crazy

Old 01-05-2019, 05:56 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
No they should not vote to ban the AR-15. We have far more deaths due to other individual causes than we do from being shot by an AR-15.
What they should vote to ban is passing budgets that aren't balanced and can't be paid for.
They should vote to ban the government from paying for luxury car leases for our elected reps.
They should vote to ban sending our soldiers into harms way to fight wars that have nothing to do with our own country. Syria and Libya for example.
I can go on and on.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:57 PM

2,984 posts, read 1,748,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I dont know about civil war, but you are advocating people be stripped of the right of self defense. Sorta crazy
Sorta??? It’s bonafide bat-**** crazy!

Old 01-05-2019, 06:09 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,024 times
This thread is absolute gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies