Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

Headline story today.

Right off the boat, it starts off with two interesting points - first that, as I've said, there was a deliberate ploy to whip up public frenzy over the minor issue of immigration, and, second, the implication is that Trump may be so fixated on the idea of a wall because he thinks of himself as a builder. That latter point makes particular sense, because Trump's thinking it so limited, so narrow, that it stands to reason he can only think about something tangible, not about concepts, like poverty or civil rights.

How the Border Wall Is Boxing Trump In
By Julie Hirschfeld Davis and Peter Baker

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/u...ype=collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 06:37 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Seventeen years of war, just sayin

Old 01-06-2019, 06:41 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Check the cost to the US for illegal immigration. There is nothing minor about this issue.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:47 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Check the cost to the US for illegal immigration. There is nothing minor about this issue.
They don’t come here wanting a free ride. They work and pay taxes. And there are many industries that can’t afford to lose them such as farming. They play a vital role in our economy

Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Cant help it. But all I can think of based on the title of the thread is that Trump is a refugee from the island of misfit toys.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
I fully agree about the issue's seriousness. It has been serious for decades, and the last major immigration law revisions happened so long ago a lot of them no longer apply.

For at least 30 years, one administration and its congress has kicked it down the road for the next president and his congress to tackle the job.

I agree with Trump's stance that it's now past time to deal with immigration reform now, and not later.

But building a wall on our border is not a solution that will work. It's such an expensive idea and one that would take such a long time that it won't only never work, it will burn up all the funds and mentality that's needed to fund and conceive workable solutions. That's the worst of it to me.

We need reform, not a wall. Reform won't be cheap, and it won't be easy to achieve, but if our President really wants a huge monument to his term in office, his name on a major overhaul of our immigration policies would be it. It would make him one of the greatest Presidents of the 21st century.

A wall will only be a permanent testimony to his failure as a President.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:59 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They don’t come here wanting a free ride. They work and pay taxes. And there are many industries that can’t afford to lose them such as farming. They play a vital role in our economy
It is unreal how you and others have been brainwashed into thinking most if not all come here to work. The criminals and gang members are not coming here to work, and rest assured many are on government welfare programs and taking up tons of resources.

Sure not all or even 51% are as I pointed out, but rest assured the huge cost illegal aliens pose is far greater than you are either aware of, or care to admit.

`

Old 01-06-2019, 10:00 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
And the employers who hire illegal immigrants to work at low wages, with no benefits and who don't often ever collect Social Security benefits, to which they have made contributions, make billions of extra money on them. Our economy, especially in agriculture, would be severely reduced without those workers.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is unreal how you and others have been brainwashed into thinking most if not all come here to work. The criminals and gang members are not coming here to work, and rest assured many are on government welfare programs and taking up tons of resources.

Sure not all or even 51% are as I pointed out, but rest assured the huge cost illegal aliens pose is far greater than you are either aware of, or care to admit.

`
How are the facts brainwashing. Besides we have more US citizens that are criminals.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
If cost were the only metric of worthiness to remain in the US we would boot out all our senior citizens (including me) since they cost the country a bundle with Social Security and Medicare. What you really need to look at is cost-benefit .. does the cost out-weigh the benefit? Many illegals, if not most, are paying taxes and contributing to the economy which is better than the scads of citizens in Kentucky and Tennessee (big Trump states, I might add) who are on the dole.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who is a net positive to the US (has a job, pays taxes, obeys the laws) is welcome here regardless of whether he/she is legal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies