Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 01:31 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Oh the irony is just too rich here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
GOP != RNC. They’re not direct equivalents.

LOL.

Yes, exactly. I use GOPers as shorthand because Republicans is a lot longer to type. I use Dems as short hand for Democrats or the Democratic Party all the time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Because they don't want to type out Democratic Party all the time. Provide a short acronym. How about DP?

People use DNC because it is short and easy to write and say. Maybe it avoids a quandary over whether to write Democrat Party or Democratic Party?

People associate DNC with the Democratic Party. That's probably because the DNC is associated with the Democratic Party.
Or, they could just say Dems. It's not very hard. And there is no quandary over whether to say the Democratic Party or the Democrat Party. The former is correct, the latter is incorrect.

But the DNC is not the Democratic Party, nor the elected representatives of the Democratic Party. Just like no one talks about "the RNC candidate" or "the RNC not agreeing to pass a certain bill" or similar usages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 01:38 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Why do GOPers use "DNC" when they mean the Democratic Party?

Probably because their conspiracy theorist bloggers and pundits use it all the time.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
When you search for the Democratic Party the first return is the DNC....
Maybe you should try a different search engine. On mine, the first two hits lead to the official D party site. The DNC shows up fourth. Also, I’d like to point out that the hits you get in any search engine are affected by your previous searches.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:52 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Maybe you should try a different search engine. On mine, the first two hits lead to the official D party site. The DNC shows up fourth. Also, I’d like to point out that the hits you get in any search engine are affected by your previous searches.
I use google. I searched "Democratic Party" and scrolled through the first 5 pages and still didn't have a link to the DNC

Old 01-07-2019, 01:55 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
hmm. Do you vote for a Democrat or a Democratic?

It's Democrat party. You vote for a Democrat.

Just like you vote for a Republican and Republican party. Libertarian and Libertarian party.
Give it up. When are wrong, you are wrong and arguing about it just not change it.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Whatever, its not a search I can ever remember doing. I'm not going to try several time till I get a response that matches what you experienced...

Old 01-07-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Whatever, its not a search I can ever remember doing. I'm not going to try several time till I get a response that matches what you experienced...
And neither am I.

In any case, the DNC is a different organization than the Democratic Party. Just as the RNC is a different organization than the Republican Party.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Yes, they are talking heads and fund raisers.

But if you examine the current active threads, you will see a title that clearly refers to the DNC as being responsible for Congressional (lack of) action. Might as well blame McConnell’s actions on the RNC. If you think that either the DNC or the RNC somehow control their respective parties or their members in Congress - well, you don’t know much about party politics.
If the DNC hadn't been so corrupt, it's likely that Trump does not win and perhaps there is no shut down.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:07 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
And neither am I.

In any case, the DNC is a different organization than the Democratic Party. Just as the RNC is a different organization than the Republican Party.
Not even close... the DNC (and RNC) are the formal governing bodies of their respective parties.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Not even close... the DNC (and RNC) are the formal governing bodies of their respective parties.
Yup, you’re right, I was mistaken. Nevertheless, the national committees don’t control Congress critters, nor do they control the state parties, nor do they control party platforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies