Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I just want to comment that they don't know how to cook and yet they know how to breed children they cannot care for adequately. Says a lot about how broken our culture is.

A shocking number don't have access to kitchens.

In college, I volunteered with local social service organizations that paired with farmer's markets to get low-income families access to fresh fruits and vegetables, and an education about how to use them. One of the jobs my college team was responsible for was creating menus and cooking lessons for families who only had a microwave and maybe a hot plate at home. Lots of battered women and formerly homeless women in transitional housing lived with their children in a "studio apartment" that consisted of a converted hotel room. They may have had one pot and one pan.

I remember being so shocked that these women - who often worked multiple fast food jobs while still qualifying for food stamps - had so little access to basic cooking supplies. It was hard to convince them to make multiple stops for groceries (grocery store and farmer's market that both required a bus when they could stop at the convenience store at the end of their street) and then quadruple their cooking and prep time with limited space to cook healthy, cost effective meals.

It's easy to take for granted having time to chop vegetables, go to the grocery store with the best deal, and go home to cook on a working stove with a range of pots, pans, knives, spatulas, and spices. That was rare in the homes I worked with (which, I know, are not the majority of food stamp recipients but were hidden in plain sight in my town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
Do food banks not hand out food anymore?? I donate food to the local food bank all the time, if they aren't handing it out to people in need, I wonder what in the heck they're doing with it??

From my experience going to a food bank while going through chemotherapy, they hand out food and then have people who are still in need after everything is gone.

Not to mention, many food banks are open during hours where people are at work. That was a big challenge for me as I was working in a professional, college-degree-required full time job but not able to afford medication, rent, AND food.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
When I vote a straight Republican ticket I think of all the people on food stamps...how they get to eat for free while I pay cash money. I have such deep animosity. Yet Republicans do nothing to cut food stamps. Instead they do things I have no passion for like cutting taxes. I don't want taxes cut, I want social services for the poor to be cut...that's why I vote Republican dammit. Yet it never happens. So if it happens as a byproduct of a long government shutdown I would be overjoyed. But I know this life all too well....it's not going to happen. No way, no how. The food stamp people always get what they want..this is their country...they are the (welfare) queens and nothing will stop their gravy train.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A shocking number don't have access to kitchens.

You just reminded me of something. I'm in CA now, and of all of the places I've lived in my life, which has been more than a few, not once have I ever had this happen when renting a place:

No fridge.

I can't even tell you how many places I looked at that didn't have a fridge in the kitchen, and they acted like that was normal.

If you wanted a fridge, you would have to buy one.

Thankfully it wasn't everywhere, (my place has a fridge like a normal fricken place) but it was often enough that it really stood out.

Had I never experienced that, I probably would never have believed it.

Imagine how much it costs in food expenses each month not to have a fridge. I dare some of the people on here to go one entire month not using a fridge.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
When I vote a straight Republican ticket I think of all the people on food stamps...how they get to eat for free while I pay cash money. I have such deep animosity. Yet Republicans do nothing to cut food stamps. Instead they do things I have no passion for like cutting taxes. I don't want taxes cut, I want social services for the poor to be cut...that's why I vote Republican dammit. Yet it never happens. So if it happens as a byproduct of a long government shutdown I would be overjoyed. But I know this life all too well....it's not going to happen. No way, no how. The food stamp people always get what they want..this is their country...they are the (welfare) queens and nothing will stop their gravy train.
It doesn't bother me. If some of my money (and let's be honest here, do you even know how much of your taxes goes where? No, you don't) helps others out, so be it. I know that most likely, I grew up in a stable family environment, a safer area, I was able to get a degree in higher education, I have a job that although doesn't pay me a huge amount of money, it pays enough that I'm able to not be totally destitute. I have a support system of friends & family should anything befall me. I live in a relatively good area that is not crime ridden. My car is finally paid off, a car that is essential for my job considering my job involves driving around the city. My life is much more fortunate than those that my money is helping so I am grateful that I can help others. I am grateful, not angry, for my advantages.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You just reminded me of something. I'm in CA now, and of all of the places I've lived in my life, which has been more than a few, not once have I ever had this happen when renting a place:

No fridge.

I can't even tell you how many places I looked at that didn't have a fridge in the kitchen, and they acted like that was normal.

Thankfully it wasn't everywhere, (my place has a fridge like a normal fricken place) but it was often enough that it really stood out.

Imagine how much it costs in food expenses each month not to have a fridge. I dare some of the people on here to go one entire month not using a fridge.
I once rented a place that didn't have a stove. For real. I moved in this place with a friend who was already living there. He only had a 2-burner counter top thing. So, no pizza for us. Ever. It was very weird. But also very cheap, but that was like 20 years ago, lol.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
If you pay taxes you contribute to the social contract.

"Social Contract" liberal buzzword. Doesn't exist. In order to have a contract both parties have to agree to it. Stop wth this feelie good stuff. It's meaningless.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

The reason Rs don't cut SNAP benefits is because many of their constituents use them. They don't want to lose those votes.

You can view state by state fact sheets here:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...sheets#Alabama

Showing the percentage of each state's residents that are on assistance. Millions of people are on it, and no party is going to risk losing those votes.

You've shown they won't lose yours, regardless of what they do.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

No fridge.

It's been a long time since I was a renter, but yes, that has happened to me as well in several states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
The reason Rs don't cut SNAP benefits is because many of their constituents use them. They don't want to lose those votes.

You can view state by state fact sheets here:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...sheets#Alabama

Showing the percentage of each state's residents that are on assistance. Millions of people are on it, and no party is going to risk losing those votes.

You've shown they won't lose yours, regardless of what they do.
And the other reason is - it's good for the farmers, who do vote Republican. Bob Dole was a big supporter of food stamps because they benefit Kansas farmers.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:

No fridge.

I've seen that in a few places I've looked at when traveling for out of state job interviews. The idea is that if something goes with the fridge or stove, it's not the landlord's responsibility to fix it. It's astounding.

In the low-income/transitional housing I referenced, there were refrigerators but they were the small kind that can fit under a table with one shelf tall enough for an ice cube tray passing as a freezer. Not much room to store perishable food for more than one person. That's another reason why so many people were stuck in a rut of eating boxed mac & cheese or ready-made foods. Forget about buying meat in bulk when it's on sale and freezing, or meal prepping once a week when you have time to reheat later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies