Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, it isn't. It's about a christian religious group that thinks that lynching LGBT people should not be a hate crime. I think that political position is a real problem. Do you?

I'm an atheist, BTW. I don't think that all christians are represented by the actions of the Liberty Counsel, any more than I think that all muslims are islamists. But I sure feel free to bash those christians and muslims who think that religion is a good reason to marginalize and even harm certain groups.
If evangelical Christianity wanted to improve its perception among the secular world (and the US is a secular country despite what people want to believe), it would disavow and denounce the hate groups that exist among their ranks. Typically what we see is mainstream evangelicals in passive agreement with the hate groups. We hear stuff like "I agree that the lifestyle is an abomination but I wouldn't take it that far or use those kind of tactics." Meanwhile, the trend is for all evangelicals to take it as an attack on their faith and on their God whenever anybody stands up to these extremist groups.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Bigotry and hatred in the name of God that is promoted by any religion members is reprehensible, be it Christian, Muslim, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.....

This...exactly.

Oh , and I voted for Trump...bawac34618

Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If evangelical Christianity wanted to improve its perception among the secular world (and the US is a secular country despite what people want to believe), it would disavow and denounce the hate groups that exist among their ranks. Typically what we see is mainstream evangelicals in passive agreement with the hate groups. We hear stuff like "I agree that the lifestyle is an abomination but I wouldn't take it that far or use those kind of tactics." Meanwhile, the trend is for all evangelicals to take it as an attack on their faith and on their God whenever anybody stands up to these extremist groups.
That's pretty much what I see too.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:59 AM

463 posts, read 189,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Great deflection!

How about you address the topic of the thread which is that a Christian organization has a issue with the LGBT community being included in an anti-lynching bill?

Doesn't it bother Christian you, that some Christians don't embrace Jesus' commandment to love our neighbors as ourselves?

Why attack the messenger so vehemently when the hatred clearly lies in the hearts of the Christians cited in the article?

If Christians such as yourself don't harbor the same feelings, maybe it's time you stepped up and called these hateful people out.
Or do you want Christianity in this country to be regarded as the religion of "hate?"
Christianity will always be viewed as the religion of hate by the outside world under the control of Satan, because God through the Scriptures tells me so

I attack the messenger so vehemently because he has a 7,500 post history on this site of refusing to engage in conversation or acknowledge there are differing viewpoints among followers of Christ that don't entail 'what can I do today to antagonize gays?' as our main modus operandi in day to day living

Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Quote:
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/01/0...-lgbt-exclude/

Remember this any time anybody tries to say Trump and his supporters don’t pose an existential threat to the LGBT community or that they are just misunderstood and stereotyped as homophobes. They are literally upset that a bill that makes lynching of minorities a hate crime includes sexual orientation and gender identity. Truly deplorable. What are your thoughts? Should LGBT protections be removed from this bill?
Fake news people. Nothing to see... Move a long!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ah for political gain then. A lynched person isn't any more of a victim if they're LGBT or black, white yellow, female, male etc.

Punishment provides NOTHING to victim, it never has.
Punishment is justice for those left alive/society, it is correction of bad bavoir , it is a deterrent.

Your attempt to dismiss this as a political stunt is simply weak sauce partisanship. It is a matter of Democratic policy to attempt to build a fair and just society. Policy is not a stunt.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Christianity will always be viewed as the religion of hate by the outside world under the control of Satan, because God through the Scriptures tells me so

I attack the messenger so vehemently because he has a 7,500 post history on this site of refusing to engage in conversation or acknowledge there are differing viewpoints among followers of Christ that don't entail 'what can I do today to antagonize gays?' as our main modus operandi in day to day living
And yet, this particular group of Christians has gone out of their way to do exactly that.
And you keep refusing to acknowledge it, instead choosing to blame the OP for bringing it to everyone's attention.

It's odd really, when it would have been so easy to simply say "yes, I agree with their position" or "no, I don't agree" and leave it at that.

Oh, well.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And yet, this particular group of Christians has gone out of their way to do exactly that.
And you keep refusing to acknowledge it, instead choosing to blame the OP for bringing it to everyone's attention.
I agree 100%. You would think hating gays is all people like Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker, Pat Robertson, etc, etc, etc think or care about because that's about all they talk about. And GOP politicians love pandering to religious anti-gay sentiment to energize their base.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:23 PM

463 posts, read 189,247 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. You would think hating gays is all people like Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jim Bakker, Pat Robertson, etc, etc, etc think or care about because that's about all they talk about. And GOP politicians love pandering to religious anti-gay sentiment to energize their base.
For sure man, I definitely don't go to bible study or attend sermons on the weekend or serve at the local homeless shelter or lead a group in recovery or message my girlfriend encouragement or read the word daily or pray to God ceaselessly because I love Christ and want to conform to his image, it's because I hate gay people

Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain1989 View Post
Of course they do. Evangelicals are some of the most evil people on the planet.
Yup - essentially Christian Taliban.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies