Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And that's what makes this case interesting. The post you responded to was explaining that there is no "feed your family" exemption that allows you to take game out of season.
And I was pointing out it's irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Hope he wins his case, an honest man feeding his family.

Why is Wyoming butting in on a federal case?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/native-ame...opstories.html
This is a really sore point in many western states.

Depending on the interpretation of the governing treaty, tribal members are not subject to state hunting, gathering, and fishing laws off of reservation lands, since the treaties pre-date statehood, which really angers many non-tribal people. The most spectacular example is the Boldt decision regarding salmon limits. https://www.culturalsurvival.org/pub...boldt-decision

Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do all National Parks have reservations that border them?
No. But depending on the treaty, tribal hunting, gathering, and fishing rights are often not limited to reservation land. In return for tribes ceding their rights to a lot of land, the treaties often specify that they may continue to hunt, gather and fish at their "usual and accustomed" sites off-reservation.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
By definition, poaching has nothing to do with whether or not you feed your family with it. Poaching is illegal hunting against government laws.

I was thinking the same thing. I am sure that guy is a good guy, but there is a can of worms to be opened here if the court sets a precedent of allowing 1800s treaties to supersede wildlife preservation laws, etc...
That ship sailed about 30 years ago. See my cite for the Boldt decision in post #23 above.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No. But depending on the treaty, tribal hunting, gathering, and fishing rights are often not limited to reservation land. In return for tribes ceding their rights to a lot of land, the treaties often specify that they may continue to hunt, gather and fish at their "usual and accustomed" sites off-reservation.
Which if that is the agreement, then that is the agreement.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That might be taking place where you live. However, Wyoming isn't Nevada. This story took place in Wyoming. And that man's case may not be the same as what you have seen.

Granted. The Crow aren't the Paiutes. Tribal values do vary widely and a single elk is not ten deer shot with only four dressed out and taken or a couple hundred trout and catfish left to rot in a stretch net. If I needed food to feed my family and could take an elk I would. With or without a tag. Of course NV law allows for subsistence hunting though you might have to actually show that your truly that bad off. In many claimed "subsistence" cases it is found to be odd that someone can afford the gas to get to a hunting spot but can't at least buy some Top Ramen for the kids.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 AM

2,448 posts, read 893,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There's a huge and remote rez here. My old digs before my divorce butt right up against it. The Indians there are pretty uncaring about how much and what they kill. I've seen five and six deer hanging in someone's shed. They tend to rape the river too using gigs and nets. Waste is widespread and critters gotten thin these days. This is hardly "heritage" as claimed and certainly shouldn't be a right especially off the rez.

If they want to decimate their own turf whatever. But everybody elses as well? Off the rez they should be just like everyone else.
I've spent my entire life in the rural Midwest and these sorts of stories have persisted my entire life. When our DNR checks on such things, it invariably turns out to be bunk. Fish population in spearfished and net fished lakes have never been depleted. The deer herd remains out of control with overpopulation and disease from this overpopulation. Color me highly skeptical that your state is any different.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do all National Parks have reservations that border them?
WHat difference does it make? Indians make the argument that they can hunt anywhere, on lands that are not part of, or adjacent to, reservations. I might be wrong about this but I think they get away with it in WA.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We don't know for sure. Just the same, killing an elk for the purpose of feeding your family does not count as poaching. That man shouldn't be charged with poaching.
Guess what? If any non-Indian shoots an elk to feed his family-he's charged with poaching. As he should be.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
Subsistence and cultural hunting practices are different from sport hunting.

Alaska has it figured out: https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...nce.definition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies