Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:34 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,147,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Guess what? If any non-Indian shoots an elk to feed his family-he's charged with poaching. As he should be.
They do not have an agreement with the government to do so. We could rescind that and give them their lands back if you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I've spent my entire life in the rural Midwest and these sorts of stories have persisted my entire life. When our DNR checks on such things, it invariably turns out to be bunk. Fish population in spearfished and net fished lakes have never been depleted. The deer herd remains out of control with overpopulation and disease from this overpopulation. Color me highly skeptical that your state is any different.
California doesn't have the numbers to allow wide spread poaching. There are only 3000 or so deer tags for all of San Diego County which is huge. We have something like 8 different tribes.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,842,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Hope he wins his case, an honest man feeding his family.

Why is Wyoming butting in on a federal case?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/native-ame...opstories.html
Strange, I thought our government killed them all? Maybe our government is just trying to starve this holdout. You know, like the good ole days.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:55 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,611,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I've spent my entire life in the rural Midwest and these sorts of stories have persisted my entire life. When our DNR checks on such things, it invariably turns out to be bunk. Fish population in spearfished and net fished lakes have never been depleted. The deer herd remains out of control with overpopulation and disease from this overpopulation. Color me highly skeptical that your state is any different.

Oh it's not bunk here and I've seen it firsthand. Off the rez it's not a problem because NDOW oversees such things. But on the rez the river has been raped and deer are fighting shy of the area. NV is a bit different than the Midwest in terms of deer population. We don't even have an overpopulation issue. Totally different deer totally different habitat. Lakes? Haha we don't have many of those. Two big ones that are actually natural with one being pretty much salt water. The latter is Pyramid Lake which is actually on a rez however that particular tribal government actually takes care of the lake and it's population of Lahonton Cuthroat trout.

Other reservations are not quite so responsible.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 AM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh it's not bunk here and I've seen it firsthand. Off the rez it's not a problem because NDOW oversees such things. But on the rez the river has been raped and deer are fighting shy of the area. NV is a bit different than the Midwest in terms of deer population. We don't even have an overpopulation issue. Totally different deer totally different habitat. Lakes? Haha we don't have many of those. Two big ones that are actually natural with one being pretty much salt water. The latter is Pyramid Lake which is actually on a rez however that particular tribal government actually takes care of the lake and it's population of Lahonton Cuthroat trout.

Other reservations are not quite so responsible.
The reservations were generally the worst and least productive lands around. I'd be more surprised if there were more game on the reservations.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The reservations were generally the worst and least productive lands around. I'd be more surprised if there were more game on the reservations.

The rez that I Mentioned where things are so bad is actually pretty prime digs. It's he and has the river and a lot of good mountain territory. The Wassuk range. No non tribal people are not allowed on the mountain land. Tribal members put a LOT of pressure on the animals in the river and mountain territory. This particular rez has a lot of non caring members who just like to kill. Drug and alcohol abuse is rampant and they get tuned up and decide to just go out and just kill. Because they can.

Once pristine and really nice turf is not so much any more. There is far more game off the rez and the animals have come to realize that territory is undesirable. Year round. It's dangerous for people too. It's not even a good idea to get off the highway and into the housing areas. Not if you're non Indian and even then sometimes. This particular rez makes gang areas in the inner city's look tame.

As it's been said this case in WY is not like the place I'm describing. But I don't think many people realize how bad life is on many reservations. They haven't been there and don't know any of the tribal members. I have friends who live on that crappy rez. They aren't all bad. But they are surrounded by dangerous and substance fueled disarray. And that's just the way it is. Pretty sad.

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-10-2019 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,804,392 times
Poaching is poaching no matter your race or ethnicity or what you do with the meat. No one is more equal than anyone else, at least that is how it is supposed to work. He should have stayed on legal hunting grounds.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,147,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Poaching is poaching no matter your race or ethnicity or what you do with the meat. No one is more equal than anyone else, at least that is how it is supposed to work. He should have stayed on legal hunting grounds.
He was. Odd that so many want to ignore that.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post

I went and read a couple write ups about this and it appears as if he has a case as to legality. It doesn't set a precedent nationwide however because treaties are specific to individual tribes. There were actually three elk killed and three people involved. I don't know about the Crow but if the tribe here were allowed to hunt and fish off the rez with impunity it would be disasterous.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:06 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,804,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I went and read a couple write ups about this and it appears as if he has a case as to legality. It doesn't set a precedent nationwide however because treaties are specific to individual tribes. There were actually three elk killed and three people involved. I don't know about the Crow but if the tribe here were allowed to hunt and fish off the rez with impunity it would be disasterous.
They shouldn't be allowed to do anything anyone else can't do outside the confines of their sovereign territory. I totally agree with you about the disastrous consequences of what some people of some nations do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies