Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I always felt she cheated, and shouldn't be the nominee (not that I wanted Bernie to get the nomination, but my feelings don't matter in this). We are waiting for the report from Mueller to see what happened.
There is no "feeling" about it. It was proven they cheated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Democrat mindset... The only legitimate election is when Democrats win.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I can not address this issue. First I have heard of it.
It would be the same whether or not they knew it was a crime. If the intent is to cooperate with a foreign power for some gain, it doesn't matter if the persons involved realized it was a criminal act. Howerver, if the persons involved were covering their tracks, they probably realized it was not on the up and up ...
He was also receiving funding for his properties around the world from Russian sources. The sanctions made it hard to move the money in, or pay it back on time.
Trump employs a lot of lawyers, personally and through his company, political campaigns are full of lawyers. Plus, as we are all aware, ignorance of the law is no excuse: if I make a right turn on red in a state which does not allow it, I will get a ticket. Too bad, so sad ... it's my fault alone for not knowing the law.

One needs to be aware of the dangers to a republic from history. There have been republics in the past: Rome famously, and Athens before it. Florence was notable, it was a republic for many decades before the Medici family became hereditary rulers. Each of these fell to greedy, power hungry and selfish people.

Most instructive (to me) was Poland. After the Jagiellonowie dynasty came to an end the monarchy became elective. It was essentially electing a president for life (whom they called a king), the throne could not be passed to an heir. The nation was called a commonwealth, as opposed to a kingdom, a term we use in this country.

Because the Polish monarchy was elected, all manner of foreign powers were pumping money into the country trying to influence the choice of the next 'king'. Bribing of public officials and power brokers with foreign cash became commonplace. That nation fell through a series of partitions no one could stop, it was all perfectly legal because the politicians agreed to it. The first partition of the Commonwealth of Poland happened just before the American revolution in 1772. The founding fathers watched it all happen, this sad affair was contemporaneous with the founding of our own republic. The final partition, and the end of Poland as a free nation, happened in 1795.

Our founding fathers, children of the Enlightenment, were well aware of both the dangers of emoluments, and the dangers of foreign influence in our domestic affairs. We today are seeing a breakdown in the mechanisms that were intended to keep our republic safe.
Excellent informative post, thank you!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrat mindset... The only legitimate election is when Democrats win.
well, I'm sorry you feel that way and wish you didn't feel that way b/c all dems are not alike...neither are repubs....but oh well....

Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I would like for everyone, to put their loathing aside for each party and president, and focus on being detached so we can look at this in a non biased clarity.

Lets for a moment, place parties aside...and focus on what is really going on here in our government, now for years....

Why is it you believe the Presidency had been stolen from Hillary by Trump and the Russians and how could it have been done? What makes you believe this is true?

The republicans were convinced the same thing happened with Obama's 2nd term? At that time, for 8 years, I had believed it was true...but now that the same claims are being made about Russia and Trump, for me, I gotta wonder what in the world is going on here?

Think about all the time and money that is being wasted.

This accusation has been made by the dems now for over two years and still no evidence...? Same as what happened with Bush and Obama....

If you don't believe this, then why, what do you know about the situation, that is convincing?

Why would they invent such ridiculous smoke screens?

To keep from addressing our Nations problems...its like a stale mate in hopes that when they gain the majority power again, they will turn it all around...again....and again, and it's been going on for years?

We don't seem to be making any progress...do we?

Here's an example....

Lets review the promises Trump made...what promises has he not accomplished....? I'll list a few, but I'm wondering if this all ties in together? If they are stalling to deliberately ignore our 1. economy, and getting us out of debt? 2. Fixing Health Care 3. Trump promised to fix immigration...well, lets review...the focus in now on the wall, which of course wouldn't be 100% full proof, but effective in reducing the amount of illegals coming into this country. But enforcing and controlling illegal immigration would require a whole lot more...so it all comes together and is 75% to 90% full proof.

1. You'd have to hire a lot of border police
2. You'd have to review all our laws already on the books about illegal immigration and revise as needed.
3. You would have to impose fines to everyone in the U.S. who would hire these illegals.
4. I believe they know where the illegals are working but allow it to continue? Why? Are there way too many illegals in this country in political positions?
5. you'd have to deport them, wouldn't you, but instead, they are holding them in our prisons.

and there is so much more that would have to be done...which they are not doing?

Now I just covered one issue, that both the dems and repubs, have both promised would be fixed at one time or another, I've seen Obama make statements on videos of the speeches he delivered...but they continue to invent these Election problems, and literally divide this country, by proposing that now, the Russians have had a hand in this election? Why? If that were true, Trump would by now be on trial, and the same went for Obama, and Bush? They wanted Obama impeached and kept screaming the same things they are now screaming about Trump, and did the same with Bush...??????? What the heck is going on here?

Then there is our Economy and getting us out of debt which they have all promised but so far it's not been accomplished?

There are the problems with healthcare for our ex-military men and women, who were wounded and need dire help? And yet, the President wanted to have a parade for them instead of giving them better health care and benefits. And these are just a few of the promises that were made, but haven't been addressed yet?

And lastly, how bout Term Limits?

Does anyone else wonder about these issues, and why this is constantly being done? All the candidates for President make these promises...and when they are elected into office, they throw us bones, by signing a lot of rules and undoing what the past President has done...but then it ends there? Doesn't it?

It seems to me, that they purposely continue to divide the country, to avoid addressing these problems we have...and act worse than 3rd graders...calling each other names....etc.

This all just doesn't make sense? If your leading the country you want to improve it...common sense would dictate that we as Americans should be much further along intellectually, much more advanced, and yes, we've made some sensational progress, but very very slowly and it seems to me, grown adults would realize, the significance, in just going forward and working together, understanding that you can't always win?

I believe this is all being done on purpose. You've got American's trying to raise money on a Go Fund Me Page but the Government says, we can't do that?

What in the world is going on here?

Can anyone explain this to me....it's just not common sense politics?

Do you understand where I'm going with this, and why I've pointed out these examples?

I seriously don't understand, what has been going on here for all these years?

Obama promised we'd be debt free, he had a plan, but he tripled our Debt?

Bush did the same and so did Trump? Do you see where I'm going with this?

Why aren't we all asking these questions?
We keep falling for campaign promises made by presidential candidates that are beyond the scope of the executive office. Take a refresher course in civics, with a major in separation of powers.

The simple answer to an election being "stolen" is to eliminate the electoral college. That way, at least in the case of the presidential elections, gerrymandering will be ineffective.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I would like for everyone, to put their loathing aside for each party and president, and focus on being detached so we can look at this in a non biased clarity.

Lets for a moment, place parties aside...and focus on what is really going on here in our government, now for years....

Why is it you believe the Presidency had been stolen from Hillary by Trump and the Russians and how could it have been done? What makes you believe this is true?...
Stolen? I've always thought that Clinton lost the election for these reasons:

Comey - 35%

She was a bad candidate - 30%

Sanders' supporters stayed home - 20%

Russians trolling social media - 15%

Bernie's heart was in the right place, but I doubt that many - if any - of his programs would have gotten through Congress. I voted for him anyway in the primary, and voted for Hillary in the end. Both Republicans and Democrats believed that anything would be better than (enter name of candidate here).

Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Stolen? I've always thought that Clinton lost the election for these reasons:

Comey - 35%

She was a bad candidate - 30%

Sanders' supporters stayed home - 20%

Russians trolling social media - 15%

Bernie's heart was in the right place, but I doubt that many - if any - of his programs would have gotten through Congress. I voted for him anyway in the primary, and voted for Hillary in the end. Both Republicans and Democrats believed that anything would be better than (enter name of candidate here).
I pretty much agree with this post.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Most do not believe the election was stolen from Hillary. And someone should tell that meathead Rush that this is not about trying to overturn the results, it was never about that.

We just believe the attempts of a hostile foreign government to influence the results of our election, with the possible knowledge of this by one of the campaigns, is pretty freaking serious and should be investigated completely. For as long as it takes. And it's kind of disgusting that every American does not feel this way.
Did you feel this way when the Russians and others tried to (in more obvious ways) influence previous elections?
For example, many people believed China poured tons on money into helping Bill Clinton get elected/re-elected.
Yet I never heard the liberal press or leftists complaining or demanding a special prosecutor.

I and other American patriots would love for outside influences to stop trying to meddle in our elections (this despite how we meddle in other countries elections).
However, rest assured their efforts to meddle are not even close to successful, as evidenced by the feeble attempts at influencing people via social media and whatever else they do. The whole "hacking" nonsense has been debunked, thus not a single vote was changed.

This entire thing is a farce started by Hillary & Co, in an original effort not to take down Trump, but to have a cover story (i.e. distraction) to deflect some of the very embarrassing and politically damaging things that the hacked DNC emails were going to show.

`

Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I think there are a lot of factors that take elections away from we the people. The electoral college needs to be looked at. When 3 million popular votes mean nothing, then we have a problem.

I think one of the biggest mistakes the supreme court made was citizens united. Did it pave the way for a Putocracy?

Gerrymandering and the way it's used to win state legislative seats to change laws to suppress votes is another issue.

Each side has used dirty tricks and stolen elections.

Now we have the new revelation that Manafort gave internal polling results from the Trump campaign in 2016 to a Ukrainian associate with ties to Russian intelligence. If it's true and this was indeed a conspiracy to defraud the American people out of an election using foreign influence by an American? Then I think we've reached a new low.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I think there are a lot of factors that take elections away from we the people. The electoral college needs to be looked at. When 3 million popular votes mean nothing, then we have a problem.
When one state had a 4 million vote advantage, that shows the problem the founders were trying to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies