Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should POTUS declare a state of emergency for the border wall?
Yes 96 34.78%
No 180 65.22%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:50 AM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
He needs them to work at his properties, hidden and un-named.

Get back with us when Trump is convicted of "knowingly" having illegals working for him. Until then......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 09:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Get back with us when Trump is convicted of "knowingly" having illegals working for him. Until then......
Same thing Al Capone said. I'm sure you know he was never convicted for murdering dozens.

See if you can understand the basics of human activities, morality and ethics. Whether or not you are caught, prosecuted or convicted doesn't align with "right" or "wrong".

Of course Trump knows who works for him.

All the GOP operatives that hire tens of thousands of illegals will never be caught or convicted either. That doesn't mean they don't do it.

You lose all cred when you say you don't care about the actual perps in this issue. All. Of. It.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What if a guy living the the U.S. is unable to feed his family and doesn't feel safe having his family living on the streets. He goes and robs a bank so that he can feed his family and to afford a house to raise his family so that they are now safe.

This guy robs a bank, which is illegal. Democrcats don't want to throw him in prison because we need to keep him with his family. Lord knows we can't separate him from his children....the democrats would have a fit if this guy goes to prison and can't be with his family. Guy and family are allowed to find the safety they need and family stays together and dad doesn't go to prison. The U.S. gives them free food and insurance and family is now safe.

To me that situation above sounds about as crazy as allowing illegals to come into this country illegally and we feed them and provide insurance. How is that right. They should be prevented from coming here. They are breaking the law and we allow it and reward it.
Quite a rant. This Liberal will agree that Texas and Florida need e-verify and that employers should be held to task for breaking the law. But I don't blame the victims...I blame the perps. Business. Mostly GOP businesses.

Just because you wink and nod and act like you don't know that the 2,000 non-english speakers working for you are not legal...does not make it right.

Right and wrong exist independently of law or whether you get caught.

Do I blame your or my ancestors for working under the table (if they did)? Nope.
Would I blame a refugee who pulled strings or even lied or misled to get out of their dangerous situation...? Nope.

Would I blame a starving family for stealing apples from the side of an orchard? Nope.

I would feed and help all of them, if possible.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 AM

33,862 posts, read 16,906,563 times
I prefer simply not passing any CR w/o billions for enhanced border security concurrently.

Happy 22nd Shutdown Day to all.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:38 AM

305 posts, read 195,113 times
BobNJ, We are all in favor of enhanced border security.

Cheeto wants a wall that has NO chance of working, has no chance of being completed.

Cheeto's administration has not spent what he received in last budget for a Wall. Not buying his explanation that Government doesn't pay until job complete. You'd be a foolish contractor if you expended hundreds of millions up-front with payment at end. They're called either progress payments, not unlike how you pay a home improvement contractor you pay for materials and based upon certain percentage of completion.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,067,752 times
Trump's White House attorneys notified him that he would most likely lose in court if he went the emergency declaration route.

Probably why he's backed off lately

Old 01-12-2019, 12:01 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,064,641 times
^And I would bet that every government worker that just got a paycheck for $0.00 agrees with this.

Last edited by r small; 01-12-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,399,570 times
Not sure if someone posted this fact already:

What is a national emergency?

In 1976, Congress passed the National Emergencies Act, which permits the president to pronounce a national emergency when he considers it appropriate. The act offers no specific definition of “emergency” and allows a president to declare one entirely at their discretion.

It has historically been invoked during unusual or extraordinary threats to the United States, according to Dickinson, like in response to the threat of North Korean nuclear warfare or amid the 1979 Iran hostage crisis.

By declaring a national emergency, the president avails himself of dozens of specialized laws. Some of these powers have funds he otherwise could not access.

Under current law, emergency powers lapse within a year unless the president renews them. A national emergency can be re-declared indefinitely and, in practice, is done frequently. There have been 58 pronounced under the National Emergencies Act, of which 31 are still in effect.

When have they been declared in the past?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.da8d155926a8

Old 01-12-2019, 12:14 PM

8,490 posts, read 3,310,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Not sure if someone posted this fact already:

What is a national emergency?

In 1976, Congress passed the National Emergencies Act, which permits the president to pronounce a national emergency when he considers it appropriate. The act offers no specific definition of “emergency” and allows a president to declare one entirely at their discretion.

It has historically been invoked during unusual or extraordinary threats to the United States, according to Dickinson, like in response to the threat of North Korean nuclear warfare or amid the 1979 Iran hostage crisis.

By declaring a national emergency, the president avails himself of dozens of specialized laws. Some of these powers have funds he otherwise could not access.

Under current law, emergency powers lapse within a year unless the president renews them. A national emergency can be re-declared indefinitely and, in practice, is done frequently. There have been 58 pronounced under the National Emergencies Act, of which 31 are still in effect.

When have they been declared in the past?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.da8d155926a8

Do these funds provided the amounts needed? The granddaddy of all money pots - general purpose Pentagon funds cannot by law be used for military construction. All military construction projects first must be approved by Congress. There are a couple of exceptions, one of which provides about $50 million dollars. A drop in the bucket. The other stipulates the emergency must be in support of the military forces.

How that needle gets threaded is anybody's guess. But if Trump puts the US military on the border - to defend not the border but the legality of his wall construction - he still needs to come up with a basis for the "emergency." Sure there are border enforcement issues but an emergency is hard to defend using publicly available data. Terrorism? Public health?

Trump has been referring this week to the "humanitarian" crisis at the border. But that appears to be more a result of his own policies and would not be addressed by a wall.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 PM

10,149 posts, read 15,844,193 times
So we had further clarification from my Congressman Garrett Graves and looks like Louisiana's flood control funds including the Comite Diversion Canal and the Lake Pontchartrain levees are NOT on the chopping block and won't be affected, and that they WILL be targeting funds from California and Puerto Rico like I thought would be the smart thing to do. Someone like Trump understands how important his base is and we here in Louisiana are a strong part of his base. (except for the black people here but numerically they have no power).

Taking funds from California and Puerto Rico will put pressure on Pelosi and on Ocasia Cortez as their people will be directly impacted. Yes I know Cortez represents New York City but she is a Puerto Rican and cares much about her people. (the fact that she can't just have one first name and one last name the American way vs the Latin American convention of two last names shows something about her and her connection to Puerto Rico)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies