Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,056,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
"redlining" and "steering" are both now illegal practices, just to be clear. Also, subprime and variable rate mortgages were not just limited to minorities.
A lot of things are illegal, yet they still happen. Just because something is illegal, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, otherwise I wouldn't have had my car (RIP) broken into so many times now would I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM

50,125 posts, read 46,734,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Your'e sadly naive. If I want to target blacks or other minorities for sub prime or even conventional mortgages with higher fees I don't have to ask their race to know they are black. I can look at urban areas such as detroit mi or highland park mi and automatically know that 90% of those applicants will be minorities. Have I ever heard of the fair housing act,please. Why do you think that act was established in the first place, it was because qualifed minorities were being denied loans and mortgages simply due to their race and no other reason.
Have your "professional" relatives and friends ever heard of red lining, block busting, housing covenants or deed restrictions.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but you are attempting to tell me something about the history of my race and their experiences in this area from the perspective of one who will never experience it and therefore denies it exists.
It may no longer be as blatant but like most of these type of practices, it just finds a sneakier way to assert itself.

History of Fair Housing - HUD

Racial Restrictive Covenants

Minorities pay more for mortgages, studies find.

Minority Report - Loans, Mortgages And Banking, Lenders, Economic Conditions - Builder Magazine

You would trust data from a home made data source?
The Washington-based Mortgage Bankers Association questions the author's methodology. “We looked at [the report], and we don't have access to their data, so we haven't been able to replicate their methodology,” says Mike Fratantoni, a senior economist with the association.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,951,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You would trust data from a home made data source?
The Washington-based Mortgage Bankers Association questions the author's methodology. “We looked at [the report], and we don't have access to their data, so we haven't been able to replicate their methodology,” says Mike Fratantoni, a senior economist with the association.
You can mince and dice it up anyway you want that dosen't make it a lie.
One problem I see when discussing issues of race on this board is that many people will look at a source and say "look here,it dosen't EXACTLY say what you were saying so therefore it's all untrue".
Fine so be it, let's go with your line of reasoning.
There's no such thing as institutional racism, prejudice, jim crow, red lining, block busting, etc. It's just lies blacks make up in order to explain why home ownership, mortgages, and other financial matters show such disparity.
No you should feel better, I'm on your side. The whole issue is just a figment of black people's imaginations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies