Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 1,405 times

Advertisements

I can't watch that because I know Chihuahua are great dogs. they are very protective, but if raised right they will not bite anyone, they are very smart and their bark is all they have. I wish the worst for this former cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,518,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Everyone here needs to understand that cops are being trained to shoot any dog that approaches them. Size and circumstances do not matter.

In fact, if a cop does not shoot an approaching dog, they are breaking their training and could be disciplined. If he does shoot it, any charges can't hold up in court because the officer was simply following their training.
Since when are cops disciplined?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,323,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Since when are cops disciplined?
That's a very good point, even if a little unfair. The vast majority are disciplined. It takes only a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.

But the point is that as long as it is officially in their training that they are to shoot all approaching animals regardless of threat level, it protects them should it get so far as a court of law.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,547,047 times
Quote:
That's a very good point, even if a little unfair. The vast majority are disciplined. It takes only a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.

But the point is that as long as it is officially in their training that they are to shoot all approaching animals regardless of threat level, it protects them should it get so far as a court of law.
That is not in the training. Not sure why people think shooting an approaching animal is what is being taught. If that was the case there would be literally 10's of thousands of these shootings every year. This police officer was in the wrong, but that does NOT mean all police officers are poorly trained or undisciplined .

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,323,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That is not in the training. Not sure why people think shooting an approaching animal is what is being taught. If that was the case there would be literally 10's of thousands of these shootings every year. This police officer was in the wrong, but that does NOT mean all police officers are poorly trained or undisciplined .
You must have missed my earlier post:

Quote:

Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,432,455 times
Default Cop shoots little chihuahua...

That's ridiculous

What is up with law enforcement hiring trigger happy wimps in recent years?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,100,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Something I came to make strict policy after a couple incidents. If you have a dog please either restrain or otherwise control it while I am here. Even a toy dog could have done significant damage to me because I had to kneel, lay down and otherwise expose say my face at a level even a rat dog could take a piece out of me at.
I grew up with a toy poodle, and she once ran up to a handyman that was lying down under the sink and licked him inside his ear. Poor guy got startled and bumped his head. Luckily he wasn't hurt, but my parents didn't control her very well, so it was a bit of a circus scolding her and chasing her around the kitchen (I was around 10 then).

If that was you, I am so sorry. lol

Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,223,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
People are funny.
Don't forget many people are ignorant as well.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:03 PM

18,754 posts, read 11,742,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A chihuahua bite can actually be quite bad, it's a long thin mouth with very sharp teeth. They can take a deep chunk out of you and that's no joke.
I know. My chihuahua Gomez sure drew blood on us a couple of times, but it's no reason to kill one. We have two vicious chihuahua's down the street that get out all the time. I just chase them home and close the gate. A little common sense goes a long way and sometimes cops just lack it.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:24 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,231,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think there has to be something going on with the owners of these dogs. I never wanted a Chi until one was given to me, and she is a total love sponge to everyone. Honest. Everyone.
Socializing a dog is always important. If not corrected, any dog's natural tendencies become protective, and when that happens, trouble follows.

Chihuahuas are well known to have a cranky disposition, but they're no different than any other dog. When corrected properly, they're just as sociable and friendly as any other dog is.

You must have done a good job with yours.

It often doesn't take very much to show a pup who's the boss, but since the Chihuahuas are so little and delicate looking, I think it's likely too many of their owners would rather cut them slack for bad behavior than hurting their delicate little feelings.

That probably comes from how much folks think of their dog as being their fur baby.

A grown Chi may be tiny, but it's still a full-grown dog, and dogs do not think of themselves as being babies when they're grown. In their minds, they are just as big and serious as any other dog.

The entire fur baby thing often puts a real conflict into the relationship between man and dog. Once any dog understands the human is the boss, he's a happier dog who knows his place in life.

A really happy dog is a dog who feels very secure and respected at his position on the bottom of the totem pole.
Work is nothing for a dog. They love a job. But being the family's decision maker is hell for a dog, and none of them want it.

The big thing for all dogs is the assurance that everything is cool. Dogs always want everyone to be contented and cool with what's going on. They are happiest when comfortable and secure in their life's role in their pack.

Dogs are quite happy being at the bottom of the family totem pole because it's secure. A dog who doesn't know just who the boss is will decide for itself who that person is. If there is no likely person who appears to be the boss, the dog will decide to take that job on itself.

And once the dog is the boss, no one in a family is happy. Dogs rule their packs quite a lot harsher than human families are ruled, and that's when the real bad behavior starts.

And then the dog goes to the pound. I wish folks would take the time to learn how to train a dog before they get one much more often than they do. It would really cut down on the misery that comes from ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies