Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is smoke shaming a good idea?
Yes, a very good idea! 49 33.79%
Only in extreme cases, like say smoking in front of a bunch of children. 31 21.38%
No, never. 59 40.69%
other (please explain below. 6 4.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Go look inside cancer centers and meet lung cancer, bladder cancer and other type of cancers patients that are related to smoking, then you will know why you should dislike or hate smoking.

Losing a loved one due to cancer related to smoking and the person mostly dealt with second hand smoke, is very difficult to deal with.

But smokers who haven't met anyone who went through cancer and the suffering that comes with that, will not understand or think one second about that.
I have been in hospital with flu and pneumonia at the same time. I got it in the senior's facility I live in.
Once the doctors and nurses found out I smoked they blamed the smoking for my illnesses. It just doesn't make sense to do that when the illness were not caused by smoking.

Where I live the government requires doctors to get smokers to sign a contract that in the next year we would quit. The doctor has to hand this information to the government. This is full blown discrimination. The government has no business in my health records. Those health records are accessible in a professional data base.

I am well aware that smoking is harmful to the smoker. I have been smoking for 50 years. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to quit. I hate it and it's a hopeless exercise for me to try quitting. All the methods like nicotine gum, spray, patches, hypnotherapy, acu-puncture..you'd think after 50 years I'd have been successful.

I am losing two family members to cancer. Neither of them smoked a day nor have they been subjected to a home of second hand smoke or in their workplaces. That's not to say that it won't happen to me I know that. But I also know that shaming smokers is detestable. We don't deserve it. Think twice before you do it. It doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Govt sure thinks prohibition style laws are effective.

I remember when over the counter diet/energy pills started becoming dangerous, the FIRST thing they did was to restrict access, make them tougher to obtain, pull them off the shelves.

Govt did the same thing with bath salts, pulled them off shelves, restricted access.

Again with opioids, same thing, make them tougher to obtain.
The energy pill and bath salts industry lobbies are not big players in the game of policy-making. And the customer base for such items is not that significant or well established. No comparison to the tobacco industry.

Incidentally, you can still purchase them at convenience stores and head shops. As well as so-called "synthetic marijuana."

Opiods are a different story because they are prescription drugs that have an immediate and direct link to death by overdose.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The energy pill and bath salts industry lobbies are not big players in the game of policy-making. And the customer base for such items is not that significant or well established. No comparison to the tobacco industry.

Incidentally, you can still purchase them at convenience stores and head shops. As well as so-called "synthetic marijuana."

Opiods are a different story because they are prescription drugs that have an immediate and direct link to death by overdose.
When someone comes in to our gas station to buy Ephedrine pills, we have to take down their Driver license info on a pad, we have to submit that to the DEA monthly. We are also responsible for ensuring no one buys more than 1 package per day.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When someone comes in to our gas station to buy Ephedrine pills, we have to take down their Driver license info on a pad, we have to submit that to the DEA monthly. We are also responsible for ensuring no one buys more than 1 package per day.
Interesting. How many people buy them, compared to cigarettes?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:52 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I have been in hospital with flu and pneumonia at the same time. I got it in the senior's facility I live in.
Once the doctors and nurses found out I smoked they blamed the smoking for my illnesses. It just doesn't make sense to do that when the illness were not caused by smoking.

Where I live the government requires doctors to get smokers to sign a contract that in the next year we would quit. The doctor has to hand this information to the government. This is full blown discrimination. The government has no business in my health records. Those health records are accessible in a professional data base.

I am well aware that smoking is harmful to the smoker. I have been smoking for 50 years. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to quit. I hate it and it's a hopeless exercise for me to try quitting. All the methods like nicotine gum, spray, patches, hypnotherapy, acu-puncture..you'd think after 50 years I'd have been successful.

I am losing two family members to cancer. Neither of them smoked a day nor have they been subjected to a home of second hand smoke or in their workplaces. That's not to say that it won't happen to me I know that. But I also know that shaming smokers is detestable. We don't deserve it. Think twice before you do it. It doesn't work.
As my dad said doctors “practice “ medicine. smoking is something doctors can pin point out as harmful. As a smokers we hear blame, especially when there’s a chance the cause lays elsewhere. They don’t truly know the cause, but we shouldn’t totally dismiss smoking as part of, or is the core problem. We all know smoking can prolong healing with any lung troubles. It matters not, really only that you get better.

The randomness of disease makes no sense at all. I agree, your doctor should not have to participate in sharing your information

I know exactly how hard it is to quit smoking after decades of heavy smoking it took me years to put all the pieces together to be able to get free of them. It really is possible to get free of it, even for you. There are a few mental strategies in addition to the things you list that can really help you understand the workings of the addiction itself. How to combat the addicted mind set If you wanna talk about or want more info pm me it’s is possible

Old 01-14-2019, 02:02 PM

[quote=rstevens62;54146454]When someone comes in to our gas station to buy Ephedrine pills, we have to take down their Driver license info on a pad, we have to submit that to the DEA monthly. We are also responsible for ensuring no one buys more than 1 package per day.[/QUOTE

Interesting Wonder why if it’s controlled Like that it isn’t sold in the pharmacy and not over the counter

Old 01-14-2019, 02:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Interesting Wonder why if it’s controlled Like that it isn’t sold in the pharmacy and not over the counter
It used to be used by druggies to cook meth. They passed a law here (WA) that requires pharmacies to keep a log of who buys Sudafed and the like, and it is always kept behind the counter.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It used to be used by druggies to cook meth. They passed a law here (WA) that requires pharmacies to keep a log of who buys Sudafed and the like, and it is always kept behind the counter.
Ahh thank you.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Yet the meth epidemic continues to get worse.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I understand that you don't see why private smoking clubs are needed, but you never answered my question--

Do you think they should be prohibited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies