Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:20 AM

18,149 posts, read 15,566,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
"Slap a Glock behind that hefty desk" is just the sort of ignorant bravado that GETS people killed. If you are SO concerned with schools being attacked, then pay the taxes necessary to have an on-site certified police force. Teachers are not trained for active shooter situations and should not be expected to handle one. I had extensive discussions with one of the certified police officers on our school security force and he agreed that being familiar with guns for hunting or target practice is in no way preparation for confronting an active shooter, possibly one of the schools own students, in the middle of panicking children. The teacher is trained to secure the room, lock and barricade the door, shut off the lights, get the kids to hide as much as possible and not open the door again. That is their role.

Well, in all fairness, the title of "certified police officer" does not impress me as to skill, knowledge and experience with the use of firearms. Most police are actually woefully inept. In some cases SWAT may be an exception but I've seen interdepartmental SWAT competitions that had me raising my eyebrows.

I do agree that hunting and informal target shooting does not prepare anyone for an active shooter situation. Thing is police firearms qualification does not either nor does LE academy training. In truth there is no training that "prepare" any one for a real life and death situation. Having skill with a firearm engaging targets with picture of bad guys on them and even the hi tech VR simulations does not mean that any individual has the mental ability to be ready for combat.

Cop ,citizen or soldier. The SpecOp guys I worked with when I worked for the Army had a saying. "Everybody has a plan till the s^^^ hits the fan." You can't imagine it or simulate it. And LE training is no exception. In terms of actual firearms skill and at least having an understanding of how to control adrenaline under pressure civilian action discipline shooters both out number vastly and are far better than most cops.

Now, this doesn't mean I'm for arming all teachers but I caution people also that dependence on police is probably going to end badly. An on site school police force? LOL, OK who are these people going to be made up of? Highly trained and experienced personnel? Ummm probably not. More likely retired LE (maybe) and people maybe qualified to be mall cops. IF certain teachers can show proper training a, skill and preferably experience in the use of firearms then I'm OK with them carrying a gun. Ex forward deployed types, seasoned competition in suitable disciplines etc. It's not for everyone. But that also includeds uniformed "certified" police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:19 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,557,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you vote Democrat, you are supporting the infringement of the 2nd Amendment. This makes you anti-gun.
No, it means there are other issues that also matter to me, and that I believe the Republicans are on the wrong side of those issues.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,477,443 times
Quote:
"Slap a Glock behind that hefty desk" is just the sort of ignorant bravado that GETS people killed.
Yeah. The aholes looking to barge into a room and kill indiscriminately.

How many fighting rifle and pistol courses have you taken?

Quote:
If you are SO concerned with schools being attacked, then pay the taxes necessary to have an on-site certified police force.
Like Broward county sheriff's office?
Nah.

Quote:
Teachers are not trained for active shooter situations and should not be expected to handle one.
Training and instinct combine when someone barges in looking to kill...
I'd be willing to bet a teacher, a janitor, any member of school staff would be more invested in their pupils and willing to defend them and themselves from anyone looking to cause chaos and harm indiscriminately.

Quote:
I had extensive discussions with one of the certified police officers on our school security force and he agreed that being familiar with guns for hunting or target practice is in no way preparation for confronting an active shooter, possibly one of the schools own students, in the middle of panicking children.
Ask him if he trains using siminution rounds in force on force scenarios.
I do.

Quote:
The teacher is trained to secure the room, lock and barricade the door, shut off the lights, get the kids to hide as much as possible and not open the door again. That is their role.
And we've seen just how inneffective that is how many times?

I'll bet my checks against yours one armed school faculty member would significantly make a difference.
Particularly one that is willing and able to defend to the death if necessary.

Or...

Myself and a few hundred others that participate in 2 and 3 gun and IDPA matches would gladly gather everyone else we know and stand guard. Free of charge to the tax payer. How bout it?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 AM

11,103 posts, read 10,659,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I have a cousin who is an educated guy and has never voted for a Republican in his life. If you own less than 30 guns, he has more than you do. He`s a hunter and a collector of historic guns but he has no assault style weapons or paranoia about gun confiscation. He`s neither a liar or ignorant, he`s a history teacher.
If he votes Democrat, he is anti-gun by definition, no matter how many he owns. He is voting against his own best interests.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No, it means there are other issues that also matter to me, and that I believe the Republicans are on the wrong side of those issues.
So stop supporting either major party and vote for candidates that aren't statists. There are more candidates than the ones with D or R next to their name.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:44 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,747,676 times
I'm an independent and I'm pro gun. I have two and I love to shoot. However, I also believe that guns and ammunition should be better regulated. I do not want another innocent child or person to die because I'm too selfish to see that there needs to be a change. I would rather be part of the solution vs being part of the problem.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm an independent and I'm pro gun. I have two and I love to shoot. However, I also believe that guns and ammunition should be better regulated. I do not want another innocent child or person to die because I'm too selfish to see that there needs to be a change. I would rather be part of the solution vs being part of the problem.
Take a look at the average annual number of school shootings prior to the passage of Gun Free Zones vs. the average number since. Then tell us all how effective "common sense" regulations are. If you think supporting more regulations is the answer, you are deluding yourself.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 AM

19,701 posts, read 10,038,494 times
There are several school districts in this country that have had armed teachers for several years. None of them have had a gun accident. No teacher has had a gun taken by a student. ....................................And none have had a school shooting. Can we prove it is because of armed teachers? No. But you can't prove that is not the reason either.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:37 PM

23,810 posts, read 14,944,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think it depends on how you define "pro-gun," or at least it does for me.

Do you really think that every single person who identifies with a political party agrees with every last plank in that party's platform?
My former governor Rick Perry told us nobody takes party platforms seriously. We should pay no mind to them.

I have recently been voting Democratic. I own 4 long guns and DH is fixing to buy a pistol.

My grown kids are more liberal than their dad. They own guns. They just think background checks should be the order of the day.

I have no problem with that. Just think it is way too late to stop gun sales on the private market.

As far as they are coming for your guns, that's just noise to raise money and fear for the NRA. How can anybody get my gun if they don't know I have it? There are too many unregistered guns for anybody to git em.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 PM

19,701 posts, read 10,038,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My former governor Rick Perry told us nobody takes party platforms seriously. We should pay no mind to them.

I have recently been voting Democratic. I own 4 long guns and DH is fixing to buy a pistol.

My grown kids are more liberal than their dad. They own guns. They just think background checks should be the order of the day.

I have no problem with that. Just think it is way too late to stop gun sales on the private market.

As far as they are coming for your guns, that's just noise to raise money and fear for the NRA. How can anybody get my gun if they don't know I have it? There are too many unregistered guns for anybody to git em.
It isn't actually confiscating guns. They just hope to make them illegal to own. So if you get caught with one, you go to jail. Many people would just turn them in rather than take a chance.
And the more difficult it is to buy one, then fewer people will buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies