Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you are watching movies that obviously portray women beating the daylights out of men those is what spurs the continuation of the movie making . you pay for it you ask for it. they give it to you.
Personally I had 2 cousins (ladies) that took Karate and I had no doubt that they could kick my butt even though I was a champion wrestler in my high school league. 194 lb class .
Guys are reserved in their attack compared to women . If you tell a woman to give it all you got that's what they do , men are different and only get to that point of giving it all they got IF their emotion is bent that way.
With wrestling there are a bunch of rules so your not going in with the idea of hurting your opponent, but bringing him under control .
Street fighting there are no rules , so a woman that is trained will show less/no restraint even reckless abandon due to anger/fear/hate .
Had my share of fights through the years with men , I would not touch a woman .
Wrestled with both and that mostly for play not serious.
In my Army AIT the (USD) instructors thought it would be hilarious to pair me (5'6, 103 lbs) with one of the biggest (6'2, around 190 lbs) guys.

Ha ha, very funny, right? Yup! I used to be a gymnast, was into ballet, cheerleading and a swimmer; up to that point none of those strengths had been highlighted and no one knew of them (they had just discovered that I was double jointed because the same instructor tried to use me to demonstrate how the gooseneck come along could quickly bring someone to heel).

Dude went down hard. There are times that being smaller and quicker are more beneficial and the class got an unexpected lesson in not underestimating an opponent and dude ended up with the nickname "Mouse", as in the elephant who was afraid of a mouse. He wasn't pleased when a good 80% of the class went to Germany and he had to explain "Mouse" to his new Unit.

I have paid a price for all of those activities, but my DH (we went through training together) still laughs about that class and the looks on everyone's faces.

Movies are meant to entertain, not reflect the everyday. When people go to movie musicals they know that in real life people were not going to burst out in song every 10 minutes and that after watching a superhero movie one would not be faced with a supervillain, only to be saved by a superhero.

It is easy enough to avoid movies that are not to your taste. Since I am now blind I don't go to movies that trailers show to be overly visual. In fact, the last movie I went to was in 2012; I now just 'watch' at home where I can have my DH explain something that happened on screen and where I can pause the show and come back to it later.

Do what works for you. Easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You do realize you are being used to feed your own insecurities, right?
Which insecurities would those be? I'm pretty secure in myself, and know what I am or am not capable of physically... so they can feed and use us all they want, but it really doesn't affect or bother me. Plus, it seems only the MEN here are feeling "insecure" about this topic.

Quote:
I have no problem with entertainment doing anything they want to sell stuff, and be popular, but this is an over reaction, and becomes difficult to watch for many. Just my observation.

The nice thing is we can CHOOSE not to watch it, and many are doing that. I cut the cable a long time ago, and do not attend newer movies, so it is hurting them as many people are doing that. It is less a social statement, and more that I just don't find it entertaining, nor relaxing.
The entertainment industry is doing just fine. I "cut the cable" too, but still pay for streaming services (Netflix/Hulu), as is the case for many people these days. They're simply making money in other ways now, and I doubt Hollywood is going to crash and burn anytime soon.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I think it is a societal trend to virtue signal to women over men. I don't see a trend in Media to virtue signal to small, weak men. Again, I have a choice to not watch, and I don't, but it is pervasive today, but I don't want to get political in the movie forum so I appreciate your perspective, but just disagree.
Next person who uses the term "virtue signal" is going on my ignore list, lol. And if you don't think they pander to small/weak (or otherwise "less desirable") men in movies/TV, you have very selective vision. They've been doing that since the beginning of movie-making, and still do it waaay more than they portray strong women.

SWM really don't like sharing the spotlight, do they? Everything always has to be about THEM, and what THEY like. Well, no more. It's our turn now!

Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I encourage you to view this thread. This is but ONE example of what is happening today in Media, Hollywood, Entertainment, and Corporate Advertising.

Proctor and Gamble Challenges Men to Shave Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Ad
Welcome to our world! Women have been told what to do, how to look, how to act, how to dress, etc, etc, since the beginning of time... and now that the door is swinging both ways, you delicate men can't handle it? Boo hoo.

I've been told (by men and the media) that I'm not feminine enough because I don't wear makeup or high heels, and chose to be child-free; also because I curse freely, smoke, and have tattoos. Someone on this very forum recently said I should try acting like a "damsel in distress" to attract men, even though I never said I even wanted to attract a man. You know what I say in response? I am who I am, and never asked for anyone's approval. Try that approach the next time you feel like your masculinity is under attack.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Next person who uses the term "virtue signal" is going on my ignore list, lol. And if you don't think they pander to small/weak (or otherwise "less desirable") men in movies/TV, you have very selective vision. They've been doing that since the beginning of movie-making, and still do it waaay more than they portray strong women. It's our time now!

+5

I wonder what would happen to some posters if that phrase were disallowed? It seems to be a VERY SIGNIFICANT phrase in some people's lives.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
+5

I wonder what would happen to some posters if that phrase were disallowed? It seems to be a VERY SIGNIFICANT phrase in some people's lives.
It's about as overplayed and misused as the term "PC" these days. Both basically mean the same thing - "I'm mad that someone other than ME (and my kind) is getting attention now."

Old 01-15-2019, 03:14 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
Quote:
It's not just super hero movies, and has nothing to do with being secure in your masculinity. It the ridiculous VIRTUE SIGNALING the entertainment industry, media, and corporate advertisers do which unreasonably glorify women, and minorities purely for some type of sympathetic gain to make themselves look "evolved". It is the height of condescension, and stupidity.

The real message being, "Gee we don't think women and minorities are as good as everyone else so we have to employ make believe in order to make themselves feel better about themselves so we can SELL MORE STUFF."
What are some movie or TV examples of this "unreasonable" glorification of minorities? I'm not asking about just women, which you all have discussed ad nauseam in this thread.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:15 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Gal Gadot can womanhandle me any time she wants.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
"virtue signaling", "PC", "Snowflake". They're all over used.

Someone finds their voice and speaks up about mistreatment, and suddenly they're snow flakes. Hey guys...some of you are acting like snowflakes in this thread.

(Let the sputtering ensue.)

Old 01-15-2019, 03:27 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I'm over it too. Bad enough when they have a stick figure of a little girl knocking out a 250 lb dude, but ok she's got "special training."
Or when one guy fights 10 (heck, even 3) guys and wins. Superhero, vampire with super strength or not, that's just unbelievable.

Quote:
Now, it's regular ladies. It's just an over compensation, like everything else these days, for when they portrayed the girl standing around doing nothing watching the guys beat each other's brains out or when there was a lull, she'd pick up a flowerpot, hitting the bad guy over the head and he went down cold. Of course, he never died, just fell down unconscious, lol.
And then the woman shrieks and stumble backwards flabbergasted when the bad guy falls down unconscious. Really hate this, like the woman is so helpless and weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies