Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times

Advertisements

As someone who trained to fight for over half my life, I can tell you most of the male-male fight scenes are RIDICULOUSLY unrealistic, so I have to wonder why you're picking on the chicks only here.

It's entertainment, people. No matter who is fighting, you have to suspend disbelief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 AM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
What would one expect? It is Hollywood after all. There are a few of them I've tolerated and even enjoyed but yeah.. they've made it ridiculous. But, it's not just with women. It's with every group that Hollywood feels has been oppressed or whatever. Most of the time I don't even watch those types of movies. I did see one recently with Jennifer Garner and I did enjoy it and for a while it was even believable but then it got absurd.
^^^^^This. Hollywood, and the entertainment industry is all about pushing an agenda now. It takes away for the entertainment value, so many people don't watch it anymore.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,928,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why is Hollywood obsessed with portraying women as being able to easily kick the arse of every guy they meet. It is ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. It was interesting the first time or two that I seen it. Now it is the rule.

I was a second tier athlete in high school. Yet when I played basketball or tennis against our best female athletes, the domination was absolute.

This is usually closer to what to expect if a guy fights back: https://i.imgur.com/KiqVxkz.gifv
Don't like it don't watch it. Hollywood exists to make money not placate a diminishing number of angry white guys.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,928,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

It's entertainment, people. No matter who is fighting, you have to suspend disbelief.
Yep I have no idea why people would even want total accuracy in a MOVIE anyways its supposed to be fun.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:37 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times
I just laugh when I see movies, or telly shows showing women getting the better of men in a physical fight. I do wonder, if in real life, women think this to be true.

When I was young, women only fought with each other. I have no idea if young women today, influenced by movies, try their luck in a fight with a man. I would hope not.......

Old 01-14-2019, 08:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I just laugh when I see movies, or telly shows showing women getting the better of men in a physical fight. I do wonder, if in real life, women think this to be true.

When I was young, women only fought with each other. I have no idea if young women today, influenced by movies, try their luck in a fight with a man. I would hope not.......
It depends on their skill.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 819,091 times
Quote:
As someone who trained to fight for over half my life, I can tell you most of the male-male fight scenes are RIDICULOUSLY unrealistic, so I have to wonder why you're picking on the chicks only here.

Exactly. All fight scenes are silly. 5 bad guys on 1 good guy? The 5 take turns ineffectually running in and getting tuned up by the good guy. Always been hilarious.

So now the flavour of the week is tough women. Okey dokey. The Carol thing on The Walking Dead has made me roll my eyes for years now. I have played enough co-ed recreational adult sports to know that most men are just plain stronger and faster than most women. For anyone who watches Outlander - I liked the scene from last week where Brianne is feeling guilty for not having fought off her rapist. Jamie grabs her in a bear hug from behind and as she struggles says "What could you have done?". It was a bit rough to watch, but made the point very well!

Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,949,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^This. Hollywood, and the entertainment industry is all about pushing an agenda now. It takes away for the entertainment value, so many people don't watch it anymore.
Pushing their SJW/Marxist agenda is almost always a box office flop. They did it with Star Wars The Last Jedi and paid the price. They did it with the latest Star Trek franchise which is floundering like a beached whale. They did it the last all female Ghost Busters - a flop. The list goes on. They surround themselves with like minded people and think that is what people really want to see. Many have the arrogance to believe they can "fix" wrong minded" people with their propaganda pieces. The backlash is significant.

Superman was clearly stronger than Wonder Woman in Justice League. Is that part of the reason the predominantly SJW critics ripped it to shreds? Just another thought there.

Hollywood is floundering and looks around for scapegoats. They ought to look at themselves.

Someone farts and burps a few times. Ok - happens. Someone farts and burps every 30 seconds? I don't want to be around.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Didn't that one mma chick beat the living crap outta the guy who was trying to rob her? Like he is effed up.

Btw, I have noticed that some men get cheesed if there's a scene where a woman fights a guy and wins, but men don't seem to get as angry when a little tiny dude beats up a huge beefcake dude.

There can be the exact same strength differential (like there are in tons of movies), but for some reason the David vs Goliath trope is only "ridiculous" if one combatant is female.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,949,534 times
Quote:

True. I thought some of the fighting in Cape Fear looked real. That was Nick Nolte and Robert DeNiro - great movie. Apparently Stallone suffered bruised organs and a cracked rib while fighting in Rocky II. That is the story and Lungren backs it up. Stallone did spend time in the hospital. Stallone did get his neck broke in a fight scene in a recent movie (latest Expendables?) when he got thrown into a wall.

But yes - you can almost always see that no contact was made. I like to think that sometimes they hire a fall guy to take a real punch.

Trouble with expertise is that Hollywood's portrayal is almost always maddening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies