Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

OP, why are you going on and on about this. Women live longer, get use to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 PM

16,543 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I know men are stronger than women but aren't women more flexible usually? I see more women acrobats than men it seems, unless it's just me. So I thought that even though men are stronger, a well trained combat women could still win a fight, cause of flexibility. There was a woman in a martial arts class I took, and she was more flexible than all the men, and she could totally win fights, because of it. So doesn't flexibility beat strength to a degree?
Wow

Do we need any other evidence that Hollywood brainwashing has done it's trick, making believers of the average Joe, who has no clue what real fighting and hand to hand combat is all about?

How could height, leverage, reach, weight, strength, bone density, muscularity and the like have any chance to overcome flexibility.
I imagine all sorts of soy boy yoga and palate instructors could wipe out navy seals due to their flexibility.
Oh wait, if women are more flexible (one of the few potentially accurate comments), then they could kick rear over the biggest, baddest MMA guys who while not flexible, are 6'8" 280 pounds of pure muscle. Those multiple little flexible punches/kicks from a 5'5" 115 lbs woman would have a devastating cumulative effect over one punch or kick knockout power from a less flexible man.

`

Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why is Hollywood obsessed with portraying women as being able to easily kick the arse of every guy they meet. It is ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. It was interesting the first time or two that I seen it. Now it is the rule.

I was a second tier athlete in high school. Yet when I played basketball or tennis against our best female athletes, the domination was absolute.

This is usually closer to what to expect if a guy fights back: https://i.imgur.com/KiqVxkz.gifv
If you are referring to the upcoming Captain Marvel movie, relax it's just a movie.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Another absurd comment.

For starters, never quote Wiki as a research tool if you want people to respect your point of view.

As to the notion that PT tests don't matter, it's also absurd. It cannot measure certain factors, but it is a good start to weed out the physically inferior and incapable.

As to your last comment (and I do not say this to sound arrogant), but I doubt there is a female combat soldier out there capable of dealing with a man my size, having nothing to do with my capabilities.
Granted I am much bigger than the average man, but even guys who are average height and weight (in decent physical condition) are going to win most hand to hand battles. Never forget in these discussions, raw physical strength, bone density, leverage, ability to adsorb blows and remain conscious, etc., etc., etc.

`
Quote:
As to the notion that PT tests don't matter, it's also absurd.
I will say once again, the PT test is not the real test, you know that right?

Over 9000 Combat Action Badges (not wiki) have been awarded to women in combat serving on the front line in Afghanistan.

"The CAB's creation was approved by Army chief of staff Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker on May 2, 2005, to provide special recognition to Soldiers who personally engage or are engaged by the enemy. “Warfare is still a human endeavor,” Schoomaker said. “Our intent is to recognize Soldiers who demonstrate and live the Warrior Ethos.”

The CAB, whose design features both a bayonet and grenade, may be awarded to any Soldier performing assigned duties in an area where hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay is authorized, who is personally present and actively engaging or being engaged by the enemy, and performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement, according to the specific eligibility requirements.
Combat Action Badge"
Quote:
As to your last comment (and I do not say this to sound arrogant), but I doubt there is a female combat soldier out there capable of dealing with a man my size, having nothing to do with my capabilities.
Could be the enemy they actively engaged with was ... smaller.
From the article linked to above:
Quote:
Despite all the praise surrounding the American military’s decision to lift the ban on women in combat roles, the United States is actually lagging behind much of the industrialized world: Nearly 20 other nations have previously integrated women into combat positions, among them Canada (in 1989), Sweden (also in 1989), and New Zealand (in 2001). Romania, which opened combat jobs to women in 2008, has sent roughly 100 women into close combat in Iraq. Danish women, who must meet the same physical standards as men, have served in combat roles—including in Afghanistan—since 1998. Israeli women, like men, are required to serve at least two years in the military and are allowed in most combat positions. And Norway, one of the first countries to open combat jobs to women, in 1985, made military service for men and women compulsory in 2015. In 2014, Norway’s Hunter Troop became the first all-female special forces unit in the world.
Guess what is getting implemented in 2020 for u.s. military ...

Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why don’t they portray them as good mothers and wives? That’s getting to be a fantasy as well.
Do we have a decent man in that fantasy, oh right ... yes we do.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:27 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Wow

Do we need any other evidence that Hollywood brainwashing has done it's trick, making believers of the average Joe, who has no clue what real fighting and hand to hand combat is all about?

How could height, leverage, reach, weight, strength, bone density, muscularity and the like have any chance to overcome flexibility.
I imagine all sorts of soy boy yoga and palate instructors could wipe out navy seals due to their flexibility.
Oh wait, if women are more flexible (one of the few potentially accurate comments), then they could kick rear over the biggest, baddest MMA guys who while not flexible, are 6'8" 280 pounds of pure muscle. Those multiple little flexible punches/kicks from a 5'5" 115 lbs woman would have a devastating cumulative effect over one punch or kick knockout power from a less flexible man.

`
Great post! You made me LOL at Hollywood.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Any complaints about this movie scene?

https://youtu.be/XRGnp6zzR4g

Since you all are all about complete realism in your entertainment and all.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
OP, why are you going on and on about this. Women live longer, get use to it.

"Women live longer,"

But, since they started entering in to the "regular"' work force they are catching up to men in life longevity.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...action-n976201

Quote:
The move comes after some users apparently tried to torpedo the moviegoer interest percentage score for the not-yet-released "Captain Marvel," Marvel Studio's first female-led superhero movie. Rotten Tomatoes' webpage for the film, starring Brie Larson in the title role, had been swamped with negative comments, some of them misogynistic.
You guys really do feel threatened...

It's just a movie.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:01 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Wow

`
Why arent you bent out of shape over the Kung Fu, ninja, martial arts movies where petite flexible Asian beat the tar out of big ol' navy seals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies