Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:44 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Some of us remember the REAL Captain Mar-vell, and it might have been nice for him to make an appearance. He was a very special character who died a dignified death. Would have been nice for him to have been remembered in this new medium.
Watch the trailer again. Jude Law is Mar-vell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As someone who trained to fight for over half my life, I can tell you most of the male-male fight scenes are RIDICULOUSLY unrealistic, so I have to wonder why you're picking on the chicks only here.

It's entertainment, people. No matter who is fighting, you have to suspend disbelief.
That's why the fights in Hard Times (starring Charles Bronson and James Coburn) look real. Nothing flashy. Bronson looks like he could kick anyone's arse in Hollywood in that movie — AND he was in his 50's!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Didn't that one mma chick beat the living crap outta the guy who was trying to rob her? Like he is effed up.

Btw, I have noticed that some men get cheesed if there's a scene where a woman fights a guy and wins, but men don't seem to get as angry when a little tiny dude beats up a huge beefcake dude.

There can be the exact same strength differential (like there are in tons of movies), but for some reason the David vs Goliath trope is only "ridiculous" if one combatant is female.
Haha! True. And if I were Average Joe Winkelstein, I wouldn't try to fight Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), either. She served in the IDF.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why is Hollywood obsessed with portraying women as being able to easily kick the arse of every guy they meet. It is ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. It was interesting the first time or two that I seen it. Now it is the rule.

I was a second tier athlete in high school. Yet when I played basketball or tennis against our best female athletes, the domination was absolute.

This is usually closer to what to expect if a guy fights back: https://i.imgur.com/KiqVxkz.gifv
It teaches girls and young women that they can and should fight back.

Women used to be portrayed as helpless, now they are not. If you have a problem with that, here's a little pat on your head to make you feel better.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:52 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I just laugh when I see movies, or telly shows showing women getting the better of men in a physical fight. I do wonder, if in real life, women think this to be true.
Women aren't as dumb as you think we are. We know when we're watching a fictional movie that not everything is real.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Sorry folks. Hollywood's depictions of Amazonian women does not make it so. Maybe 10% of women can whip 10% of men. Something like that.

Movies are a lot better when we can buy into the story instead of marveling at the level of fakeness. Attention to detail - much of what sets Cameron and Spielberg classics apart from the wanna be's. Almost all of the top grossing movies had attention to detail even if the story line was preposterous.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:41 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Women aren't as dumb as you think we are. We know when we're watching a fictional movie that not everything is real.
I see a lot of women getting the better of men in physical fights in movies and telly soaps. It makes me smile that's all I'm saying.......

Now, you keep showing stuff like this, you're bound to get a percentage of especially young girls to think it's true.

Now in my day, we were taught never to lay a hand on a woman, because they're the weaker sex. That's what we were told.

I know one thing. There is a woman's shelter full of frightened women, and their children, not too far from where I live. I have never heard of one for men.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:45 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I just laugh when I see movies, or telly shows showing women getting the better of men in a physical fight. I do wonder, if in real life, women think this to be true.

When I was young, women only fought with each other. I have no idea if young women today, influenced by movies, try their luck in a fight with a man. I would hope not.......
I've seen men fight badly. You have to be trained to fight, both men and women.

Portraying fighting women in movies is good because it tells women that they too can train to fight and defend themselves. Bringing it to their attention is always a good thing. https://www.livestrong.com/article/8...-self-defense/

From reading this thread, I guess a lot of men would prefer that women sit in the corner and whimper so they can saved by the big strong men.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
The issue isn't that women are BETTER than men. The key is that women are capable and able to defend themselves if needed.

No, every woman cannot beat up every man. However, every man can't beat up every man either.

The current portrayal in movies is much better than having every female character cowering in a corner. Real life women know their personal prowess when it comes to fighting and defending themselves. We recently had two great examples via viral video.

As a woman, I will choose to at least try to defend myself before I choose to cower.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why is Hollywood obsessed with portraying women as being able to easily kick the arse of every guy they meet. It is ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. It was interesting the first time or two that I seen it. Now it is the rule.

I was a second tier athlete in high school. Yet when I played basketball or tennis against our best female athletes, the domination was absolute.

This is usually closer to what to expect if a guy fights back: https://i.imgur.com/KiqVxkz.gifv
Lol, come on, the star of every movie is some how a magical arse kicker. But that is what the movie is about, they are just acting. There is hardly a movie out there that portrays what a real fight is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies