Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 03:54 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No, the mix of story telling/technology/acting/setting peaked in that time frame. There's no doubt about that IMO.

You had better stories in the classics/westerns but your acting and pace left a lot to be desired.

Now we've reached CGI/SJW-fied flicks or bust. They are vomit-inducing.
Really? Clint Eastwood movies and such? The acting was horrible in that genre in the 70s, not to mention historically inaccurate, etc.

Listen, I can find movies in any genre and time frame to enjoy, it can be B&W or CGI, some I enjoy for the story, some for the excitement, some for the special effects..... any number of reasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 03:57 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I was only talking about the original Rambo. Never saw the others because I heard they were too unrealistic and sure enough...you pointed that out.

Again, they have to flirt with/be in the ballpark for me to be ok.

The westerns are character/location-based in strength though. You can forgive a little more embellishment there. Sure, part of that is the handicap of not having the technology available today. I visited Monument Valley in Utah this past summer while driving from Vegas to Denver. Specifically went out of my way to see the beautiful location entrenched in my mind from the plethora of John Wayne movies shot there.

And I already pointed out, as did other posters, that in older movies women derived their strengths and weaknesses from their characters...not their gender. Princess Leia physically killed Jabba the Hut by using intelligence and opportunity. You got to that point because of her character having been developed prior to the scene. The audience knew by that point she was capable and not to underestimate her by her deeds not gender. She didn't just walk into Jabba's palace and started kicking ass. Hell, Luke didn't even do that and was a borderline Jedi at that point.

Not today though. I am woman therefore I am badass. We start there and you accept it or else. I don't want to see that with men but a movie can have a wee bit more of a leash if it starts to go there than with a woman. I do agree, keep it in the ballpark though because I need to see character development.
I disagree with the bolded. A strong female character in a crappy movie, sure, maybe it fits that stereotype. In that case though, the movie isn't good, and wouldn't be good with a male or female. Not all female characters are portrayed as being these super strong and awesome people either, as you and some other act like.

You talk about it needing to be in the ballpark, which I get. There are plenty of strong female characters with great backstories well within the ballpark though. I am not just talking older movies either. As is the case most of the time, these aren't women off the street just taking on groups of dudes with nothing but a working knowledge of how to throw a punch. They are trained and capable. I just don't see why so many of you seem to have a problem with that.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Really? Clint Eastwood movies and such? The acting was horrible in that genre in the 70s, not to mention historically inaccurate, etc.

Listen, I can find movies in any genre and time frame to enjoy, it can be B&W or CGI, some I enjoy for the story, some for the excitement, some for the special effects..... any number of reasons.
As it should be. So many people need to learn to watch movies for what they are, and not what they want them to be.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:00 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:

They were historically inaccurate but consistently framed through the same plot with little variation. It worked there because you were prepped for that kind of format. But when Spielberg made Schindler's List it was paramount that he show how people really fall down after being shot.

Context matters.

To each his/her/or the other 895869 genders their own when it comes to taste.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:07 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I disagree with the bolded. A strong female character in a crappy movie, sure, maybe it fits that stereotype. In that case though, the movie isn't good, and wouldn't be good with a male or female. Not all female characters are portrayed as being these super strong and awesome people either, as you and some other act like.

You talk about it needing to be in the ballpark, which I get. There are plenty of strong female characters with great backstories well within the ballpark though. I am not just talking older movies either. As is the case most of the time, these aren't women off the street just taking on groups of dudes with nothing but a working knowledge of how to throw a punch. They are trained and capable. I just don't see why so many of you seem to have a problem with that.
I don't have a problem with it if you can balance things out for me. The balance is lacking and that's when I can't forgive the movie.

When you start out with "I am woman therefore I am badass" you have little margin for error in the other stuff (character development, setting, plot development, taking it easy on CGI especially when it's not necessary). Some of these movies are primarily billed as "I am woman therefore I am badass". I wouldn't go see that if it was billed as a man doing it. Sure as hell ain't going if a chick is expected to be the badass.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:08 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Was I being hateful and accusatory? Wasn't meaning to be. I get the Hollywood portrayal point.
No, you and a few others, especially Pilot1, have been quite co-operative.

I do believe "hateful and accusatory" is a pretty accurate description of most of the retorts to my observation that Hollywood is simply deluging us with movie after movie that depicts women as being stronger, faster, and better fighters.

I could see a point if it made money. Perhaps it did when it provided a good twist to a solid movie. The Aliens series was brilliant for awhile. Sarah Connor was fantastic. Wonder Woman is a godsend. I feel they have gone to that well too many times.

Glad I made the thread. Confirmed growing suspicions - a few hundred times.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 01-18-2019 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 PM

482 posts, read 242,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why is Hollywood obsessed with portraying women as being able to easily kick the arse of every guy they meet. It is ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. It was interesting the first time or two that I seen it. Now it is the rule.

I was a second tier athlete in high school. Yet when I played basketball or tennis against our best female athletes, the domination was absolute.

This is usually closer to what to expect if a guy fights back: https://i.imgur.com/KiqVxkz.gifv
If a woman beats up a guy in a movie it's just very unrealistic. If a guy beats up a woman in a movie, it's in poor taste.

They disproportionately show women as being tough in movies for the same reason they
disproportionately show black people as being clever and witty. It's just marketing to a broad audience while offending the least amount of people. While a lot of guys just roll their eyes when they see these movies with women kicking butt, they're not going to stand in front of a theater with picket signs over it the way women would
If you had a male character in a major movie beating the **** out of women right and left.

It is what it is

Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
No, you and a few others, especially Pilot1, have been quite co-operative.

I do believe "hateful and accusatory" is a pretty accurate description of most of the retorts to my observation that Hollywood is simply deluging us with movie after movie that depicts women as being stronger, faster, and better fighters.

I could see their point if it made money. Perhaps it did when it provided a good twist to a solid movie. The Aliens series was brilliant for awhile. Sarah Connor was fantastic. Wonder Woman is a godsend. I feel they have gone to that well too many times.

Glad I made the thread. Confirmed growing suspicions - a few hundred times.

I just looked at the current top movies, and I'm not seeing what you are selling.

Wait.... are you counting Mary Poppins?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-18-2019, 04:16 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I don't watch TV, and rarely bother with a movie. But I hear ridiculous "water cooler" talk at work by women gushing about actresses who play these kinds of parts.

I've asked if they realize it's fiction and get responses like 'but it could happen.' Absurd. And I do non-traditional work, as do two of my three daughters. The third is an MMA fighter as a hobby. We all find this trend nauseating.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:19 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
I just looked at the current top movies, and I'm not seeing what you are selling.

Wait.... are you counting Mary Poppins?
It is not just movies. It is drama/action type series on television as well. If you can find something like that without 1) a woman in charge of the strike team and most other positions of authority upstream of that, 2) a regular routine of homosexual sex scenes, which are as graphic as they can get by with, and 3) close ups on characters vomiting - I mean WTF - then I would like to hear about those shows. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies