U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the carbine be banned?
yes. 1 8.33%
yes, but only if it meets assault-weapon specifications. 0 0%
no, don't ban it at all. 11 91.67%
other (please explain below). 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:14 PM

1,424 posts, read 221,041 times

Advertisements

In a recent thread a poster who's an expert on guns pointed out that the AR-15 actually replaced a weapon called the 'M1 Carbine.'
http://www.city-data.com/forum/54067203-post16.html
Although I have heard the term 'carbine' before, I was not fully familiar with it, so I looked it up. It turns out that it is defined as a "light automatic rifle,' in other words, an assault style weapon. Yet as far as I can find out, it has never been banned, anywhere. It was not banned by the 1994 assault weapon ban signed by President Clinton.

I do know that the 'carbine' was mentioned in the theme song of the classic movie Bonnie and Clyde starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Bonnie and Clyde were depression era gangsters who loved guns. A line of the song says "a half a dozen carbines opened up on them," (when they were apprehended and killed by police). Obviously the carbine is an incredibly powerful weapon that belongs in police hands only. Why is it still legal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaVOeKLLm_c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:19 PM

11,156 posts, read 18,283,378 times
Travis when you are truly open to learning about guns and realizing how ridiculous gun control advocates are get back to me and we can have a true discussion

Old Today, 02:25 PM

9,515 posts, read 5,882,959 times
Travis....wow...you just don't get it do you. You have absolutely zero knowledge of firearms and really should not be debating them.

Carbine refers to the length of the barrel, generally less than 20"

The M1 carbine you are referring to, is the M1 Garand, a magazine fed semi auto rifle , just like all the others that are available to the average citizen that can legally purchase them. If you feel that they are assault rifles because these were actually used by the military, unlike all the others you've talked about...that is on you, your wrong but it is your choice to be.

There were several different versions, one of them being a carbine , all semi auto by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand#Design_details

The M1 Garand[SIZE=2][nb 1][/SIZE] is a .30 caliber semi-automatic rifle that was the standard U.S. service rifle during World War II and the Korean War and also saw limited service during the Vietnam War. Most M1 rifles were issued to U.S. forces, though many hundreds of thousands were also provided as foreign aid to American allies. The Garand is still used by drill teams and military honor guards. It is also widely used by civilians for hunting, target shooting, and as a military collectible.

Old Today, 02:27 PM

245 posts, read 273,897 times
Travis - are you advocating for a ban of all semi automatic rifles?

Old Today, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Travis - are you advocating for a ban of all semi automatic rifles?
I would be in favor of it, but I don't think it's politically possible at this point. We did just pass a law in Washington State declaring all semi-automatic style rifles as assault weapons, with certain restrictions put on their sale. Using this definition of 'assault weapon' really simplifies things, and makes enforcement easier for police.

Old Today, 02:37 PM

9,515 posts, read 5,882,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I would be in favor of it, but I don't think it's politically possible at this point. We did just pass a law in Washington State declaring all semi-automatic style rifles as assault weapons, with certain restrictions put on their sale. Using this definition of 'assault weapon' really simplifies things, and makes enforcement easier for police.
Oh, the one that your states own law enforcement said it won't enforce due to it being unconstitutional ?

A true patriot, and hopefully more will follow him.
https://www.officer.com/command-hq/n...ce-new-gun-law

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-restrictions/

Old Today, 02:37 PM

4,762 posts, read 3,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Travis....wow...you just don't get it do you. You have absolutely zero knowledge of firearms and really should not be debating them.

Carbine refers to the length of the barrel, generally less than 20"

The M1 carbine you are referring to, is the M1 Garand, a magazine fed semi auto rifle , just like all the others that are available to the average citizen that can legally purchase them. If you feel that they are assault rifles because these were actually used by the military, unlike all the others you've talked about...that is on you, your wrong but it is your choice to be.

There were several different versions, one of them being a carbine , all semi auto by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand#Design_details

The M1 Garand[SIZE=2][nb 1][/SIZE] is a .30 caliber semi-automatic rifle that was the standard U.S. service rifle during World War II and the Korean War and also saw limited service during the Vietnam War. Most M1 rifles were issued to U.S. forces, though many hundreds of thousands were also provided as foreign aid to American allies. The Garand is still used by drill teams and military honor guards. It is also widely used by civilians for hunting, target shooting, and as a military collectible.
The M1/M2 carbines do not even resemble the M1 Garand. I have used the carbine and the Garand and if you had you would know the difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_c..._Cal_.30.2C_M2

Old Today, 02:38 PM

11,156 posts, read 18,283,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Using this definition of 'assault weapon' really simplifies things, and makes enforcement easier for police.
Is every person who wears a hoodie and a cap sideways with pants so low that half their azz shows a true gangsta?

Old Today, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The M1/M2 carbines do not even resemble the M1 Garand. I have used the carbine and the Garand and if you had you would know the difference.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_c..._Cal_.30.2C_M2
I am very familiar with the M1 Grande. I would ban that one too. It's a military weapon.

Old Today, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Is every person who wears a hoodie and a cap sideways with pants so low that half their azz shows a true gangsta?
huh? what does that have to do with anything? What kind of question is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies