Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times

Advertisements

These would probably be considered "unpopular" within the context of me being registered as a Republican

- Abortion is good for society
- The death penalty, in practice, is bad
- There should be no law carve outs for off-duty or retired police officers
- If you want the 10 commandments taught in school, you also have to be OK with your kids being taught the tenants of Islam
- Drugs should be legalized

Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What drugs do you want them tested for? When? How often? At who's expense? How do you handle the consequences of jailing people who have kids and family to take care of?

You need a ton of solutions to the problems you have caused since they effect the whole of society and seem worse than someone using drugs and getting food stamps. You can see why your unpopular opinion is so unpopular.
-Tested for ANY illegal drugs in their system
-Tested annually while receiving welfare
-The Govt's expense
-Kids and family were not a priority to the individual found with drugs in their system, so the kids should be in a foster home until the guilty has been deemed fit to be a parent again.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:02 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
All religions are nonsense. At best, they are fairy tales that offer comfort in the face of mortality, but more often they are institutions used by the powerful to oppress the weak.

Last edited by bmccormick71; 01-16-2019 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
(Most controversial that people will probably flip about - but I'll note I don't believe it will ever occur, so there lol) I believe that reparations for black Americans should be reviewed/studied for the time period of 1870 through 1980 and that black Americans should be exempt from paying income and property taxes and be able to have free healthcare as a demographic (including mental healthcare fully covered), along with free tuition to public institutions (or a scholarship of equal value to a private institution of which they are accepted) if they can prove either maternal or paternal descent from self proclaimed black/negro/African American ancestors from the 1870 census (or church/state records) or prior.

I believe that the EITC encourages single parented families in America and that removing it will cause more people to get and stay married.

I believe that racism is prevalent in our society both inter-racial and intra-racial

I believe that healthcare in the USA should be universally available to all American citizens

I believe that we should rescind birthright citizenship and that only people born to at least one parent who is an America should be able to be an American citizen

I believe that all teachers should have to have a psychological review every 5 years in order to have a history regarding their attitudes toward children and that teachers salary and their promotion should not be primarily based upon them teaching children at "grade level" but about the trajectory of the students in their charge and their personal relationships with those students/their families

I believe that there should be a national database that covers police officers so that if/when an officer commits a crime or has some sort of dangerous behavior/characteristics reported upon with the public, that they cannot become an officer in any other PD or law enforcement agency nationwide.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

My unpopular

1) Related to the monogamy one. I believe you should be allowed to go as 007 as you feel necessary, should you suspect your LEGALLY MARRIED SPOUSE is cheating. Note this does not include making said findings public beyond something like a simple Facebook statement of "I have undeniable proof that my wife Minnie Maus is cheating with Chad Dooshbag and were at the Hilton on Jan 1 2015 in room 222. We will be divorcing" IE no posting the pics. I have several friends whose wives had affairs. By the time they went 007, the affairs were long standing. Some states have prosecuted snooping spouses of cheaters. Note if you both accept an open relationship the above does not apply.
Thats all fine and dandy but over the course of a lifetime people change and grow. What if your spouse would not consider it hut you are bored to tears with an unloving, sterile marriage? You can either suffer, divorce or sneak around. Just because a marriage is not ideal, it does not mean that you want a divorce. You might love someone VERY MUCH, even though you are not particularly happy with the circumstances of your marriage and not WANT a divorce.

I promise you that more than 50% of men who have been married more than 10 years are horribly dissatisfied with their romantic life and would LOVE to find a different partner but fear if being found out and reprisals prevent tgem from acting on their desire. When you talk to men who have been married 20 years, I would say that figure would be closer to 75%.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
All religions are nonsense. At best, they are fairy tales that offer comfort in the face of morality, but more often they are institutions used by the powerful to oppress the weak.

Posted and saw this - I agree with the statement above as well.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:40 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Thats all fine and dandy but over the course of a lifetime people change and grow. What if your spouse would not consider it hut you are bored to tears with an unloving, sterile marriage? You can either suffer, divorce or sneak around. Just because a marriage is not ideal, it does not mean that you want a divorce. You might love someone VERY MUCH, even though you are not particularly happy with the circumstances of your marriage and not WANT a divorce.

I promise you that more than 50% of men who have been married more than 10 years are horribly dissatisfied with their romantic life and would LOVE to find a different partner but fear if being found out and reprisals prevent tgem from acting on their desire. When you talk to men who have been married 20 years, I would say that figure would be closer to 75%.
This really isn't a politics topic, but have to agree with that. There are a couple of reasons for so many failing/unhappy marriages.

First the romantic fantasy that underlies many marriages is a very poor way to choose a partner. People get married that have zero compatibility in many ways.

Secondly, many people for various reasons don't date around enough to really understand what they want in a life partner, and make a hasty commitment.

Thirdly, the fiction that desire for monogamy is natural - it might be preferable from the point of view of child rearing but you can't fool Mother Nature.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Its best to have international trade agreements where America is actually the dominant partner, this is preferrable to "fair" trade, it shows we are in a position of strength and better dealmakers if we are the dominant party in the deal.

Currently all our trade agreements actually put America at a disadvantage over other countries but I actually want "unfair trade" tilted in favor of the US.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Healthcare should be rationed. After age 75 or so, you are cut off except what you can pay for, cash only. Under 75, everyone has a lifetime cap on what can be spent. Use it wisely. I am pretty sure these two things will bring down the cost of medicine.

What about those who are injured through the fault of others? If you're a dreg of society do you get less spent on you? What if you're born with a disability but are much more useful than chad who sits in his moms basement all day playing video games.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
What about those who are injured through the fault of others? If you're a dreg of society do you get less spent on you? What if you're born with a disability but are much more useful than chad who sits in his moms basement all day playing video games.
I am for Medicare for all. I think everyone has a right to basic healthcare. I don't think everyone has a right to unlimited healthcare - it encourages people to pig-out at the healthcare trough. It is one of the reasons that healthcare costs are so out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies