Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we transition away from the concept of the privately-owned vehicle?
Yes, sooner rather than later! 23 5.26%
No allow privately-owned vehicles, but only if the owner can show need. 9 2.06%
no. 387 88.56%
other (please explain below). 18 4.12%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 AM

45,311 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the fallacy in your argument is that since the fifth amendment prevents the government from just taking ones property without just compensation, it makes the case that such property has been established in the first place. sorry to say but you are wrong on this, an automobile is private property, and as long as you can afford to purchase one. as for your idiotic case that you can keep wild animals in your back yard, well yes you can provided you have the room, can properly care for them, and can make sure they are not a danger to your neighbors, IE they are properly caged and monitored in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

and once again you are ascribing something that is not possible, IE that being an automobile having a functioning brain with which to control its own actions. an automobile is an inanimate object, even with the autonomous systems available. in other words any automobile requires a human agency to operate it, whether that means pushing a button to wake it up and send it off to someone, or you physically get in the vehicle and turn a key to start it up. it has no conscious mind to operate independently of a human being.
You may not know that Travis has been insisting that firearms fire themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You may not know that Travis has been insisting that firearms fire themselves.

yes i know that, he hasnt a clue about how things really work, which is why he starts these types of threads with idiotic and flawed premises.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Again, these are extremely disappointing poll results--130-9. I can see that we have a lot of educational work to do.
You mean, 141 to 9.

Please tell me you don't try to "educate" the significant others in your life about the evils of chocolate, alcohol, and cars. Do you pick up your dates using public transit?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
You mean, 141 to 9.

Do you pick up your dates using public transit?
This thread is absurd, obviously, but what on earth would be wrong with that?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Long past the courtship phase (married to DH for 38 years), but had he insisted we take a bus to go out, there wouldn't have been a second date.

For me, a cool car was always the deal breaker!

Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 AM

45,311 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Nothing. And if the bus schedule was inconvenient Mom could drive you.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
Again, these are extremely disappointing poll results--130-9. I can see that we have a lot of educational work to do.
Why on earth would I want to trade a clean, personal travel space for one shared with all you disgusting animals?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,334 times
Quote:
There is nothing sacred about being able to own a car. It's not in the US Constitution.

In this era of mass transit, Uber, Lyft, etc. the private car is on its way to being obsolete. All that is needed is a good legislative kick in the pants to send the privately-owned vehicle on its way.

The benefits would be multifarious. We would not need to have scores of different models and makes. Young males would no longer feel a need to have a model that can do 200 MPH to impress the ladies. It would generally eliminate the 'keeping up with the Joneses' problem when it comes to vehicles. Instead, automobiles could be engineered for maximum environmental friendliness.

We have already as a country seen fit to highly regulate cars. Airbags, seatbelts, etc. are now mandatory. Police spend much of their time issuing tickets for driving violations. This would just be taking the next step.

I am not an engineer, but it seems obvious that when autonomous vehicles come along, it will be much better if today's non-autonomous vehicles can be eliminated. The AVs will be able to readily able to communicate with each other, as machines, but the non-AVs will present a problem. They will be like beetles in an ant colony, causing nothing but problems. What do you think?
I can't decide if this is a serious post or not.

Some cities don't have good mass transit. People have jobs to commute to. People like having the independence to come and go as they please. This idea would never work.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Long past the courtship phase (married to DH for 38 years), but had he insisted we take a bus to go out, there wouldn't have been a second date.

For me, a cool car was always the deal breaker!

Okay, but you would have been hard-pressed to have dated in Manhattan, in that case.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I can't decide if this is a serious post or not.

Some cities don't have good mass transit. People have jobs to commute to. People like having the independence to come and go as they please. This idea would never work.

I too cant figure out if this is serious or not, but the OP does seem to be a far leftie from his posts

and yes while some cities (like NYC) may have "good" mass transit, many times it is not economical or efficient, or convenient

the fact is even it doesn't work for many...

I live on Long Island

when I lived in belmore I was walking distance from the LIRR and I worked in the city (manhattan) I used the train most times because it was quicker, and with parking costs in Manhattan it was cheaper

but

I live(central Nassau) 12 miles from work(now in queens)...when there is no traffic (maybe 2am) it would take me 15 minutes.....but during rush hour it takes me almost 1 hr, I use a tank of gas (14 gallons) a week (at $3/gallon, that's $42 a week or 168 a month)....................to take mass transit I would have to DRIVE 3 miles to the train station, then wait for a train, to get to the terminal (Jamaica station) to pick up the subway (to flushing), then hop on a bus to get to work, and it would take me over 2.5 hours......and a monthly ticket for the long island railroad is over $375 a month...plus the subway and the bus
that's why many don't like mass transit....because the SYSTEM is just screwed up

the problem is efficiency...

which would you rather....... I live 12 miles from work...........
1) to drive when there is no traffic (maybe 2am) it would take me 15 minutes.....but during rush hour it takes me almost 1 hr, I use a tank of gas (14 gallons) a week (at $3/gallon, that's $42 a week or 168 a month)....................
or..........

2)...to take mass transit I would have to DRIVE 3 miles to the train-station(Bellmore), then wait for a train, to get to the terminal (Jamaica station) to wait to get picked up the subway (to flushing), then hop on a bus to get to work, and it would take me over 2 and a half hours......and a monthly ticket for the long island railroad is over $375 a month...plus the subway and the bus

that is the problem with mass transit ( its at least twice the time and 4 times the cost) unless you live and work only blocks away...its actually cheaper, easier, and less time consuming(and time is money) to drive, especially since you need a car( so you will already have the 'startup' cost of a car anyhow) for the other things in life (other than the work commute) life going to the beach or out to wine country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies