Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we transition away from the concept of the privately-owned vehicle?
Yes, sooner rather than later! 23 5.26%
No allow privately-owned vehicles, but only if the owner can show need. 9 2.06%
no. 387 88.56%
other (please explain below). 18 4.12%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

i'm not opposed to spending or investing billions into mass transit such as high speed rail that connects all major cities. And subways to further reduce congestion in the cities.

But private cars, autonomous or not, will always be here.

I have a corvette, others have Porsche or trucks. We are not going to give up our POVs for some ugly ass autonomous vehicle, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 04:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
There is nothing sacred about being able to own a car. It's not in the US Constitution.

In this era of mass transit, Uber, Lyft, etc. the private car is on its way to being obsolete. All that is needed is a good legislative kick in the pants to send the privately-owned vehicle on its way.

The benefits would be multifarious. We would not need to have scores of different models and makes. Young males would no longer feel a need to have a model that can do 200 MPH to impress the ladies. It would generally eliminate the 'keeping up with the Joneses' problem when it comes to vehicles. Instead, automobiles could be engineered for maximum environmental friendliness.

We have already as a country seen fit to highly regulate cars. Airbags, seatbelts, etc. are now mandatory. Police spend much of their time issuing tickets for driving violations. This would just be taking the next step.

I am not an engineer, but it seems obvious that when autonomous vehicles come along, it will be much better if today's non-autonomous vehicles can be eliminated. The AVs will be able to readily able to communicate with each other, as machines, but the non-AVs will present a problem. They will be like beetles in an ant colony, causing nothing but problems. What do you think?
Young males “ feel a need to have a model than can do 200mPH to impress the ladies” ?

Who knew?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Rural areas are served by publicly-owned roads. Why not also publicly-owned vehicles? Does the fact that the roads are publicly-owned inhibit your travel? If not then why would publicly owned vehicles too?

But this is why I included option 2 of the poll. If you can show a need, you could still get a permit to own a private vehicle. I am not averse to reasonable compromise on these things.
Part of me is curious what you think about privately owned and operated aircraft. Another part of me doesn’t care.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:38 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
They will be like beetles in an ant colony, causing nothing but problems. What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I don’t wish to live in an ant colony, even a well functioning one.

Is that what you aspire to?
No, that is just an analogy. Analogies are not meant to be taken literally.

Once autonomous vehicles come along (and they are already in service for industrial use), manually operated vehicles will be a problem. The AVs, as computerized machines, will be readily able to communicate with each other and cooperate. Human-driven vehicles, not so much. What are we going to do, surgically implant a USB connector into our heads?

When AV's come along, your vehicle will just be another cog in the grid, and there will be no more need for a privately-owned vehicle, any more than there is now a need for privately-owned roads. I for one find the prospect incredibly liberating.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:41 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Part of me is curious what you think about privately owned and operated aircraft. Another part of me doesn’t care.
Obviously the same principle applies. Privately-owned aircraft will go away as tech advances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyvZ-ag9GzU

Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
They just shouldn't be given so much preference in infrastructure spending.

To drive my car on the road I pay:

• Fuel taxes, part of which goes to mass transit at both the federal and state level. In my state it's also used for substantial portion of the State Police budget.
  • Registration fees.
  • License fees
  • Title transfer fees
  • Sales tax on the vehicle which could rival the fuel tax if it's bought and sold three times.
  • If I park my car in Philly at public parking half the money is equally split between the city and school district.
  • Then there is $25 speeding ticket that morphs into $150 after all the fees are added on.
Those are some of the things I directly contribute. Indirectly there is the tax revenue from the parts store, garage, dealerships, car manufactures, oil companies and all of their employees.

In total this is an enormous revenue stream and the infrastructure required to drive my car should get preference.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Obviously the same principle applies. Privately-owned aircraft will go away as tech advances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyvZ-ag9GzU
I won’t be alive to see that. I would never give up my aircraft.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:27 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
Quote:
There is nothing sacred about being able to own a car. It's not in the US Constitution.

In this era of mass transit, Uber, Lyft, etc. the private car is on its way to being obsolete. All that is needed is a good legislative kick in the pants to send the privately-owned vehicle on its way.

The benefits would be multifarious. We would not need to have scores of different models and makes. Young males would no longer feel a need to have a model that can do 200 MPH to impress the ladies. It would generally eliminate the 'keeping up with the Joneses' problem when it comes to vehicles. Instead, automobiles could be engineered for maximum environmental friendliness.

We have already as a country seen fit to highly regulate cars. Airbags, seatbelts, etc. are now mandatory. Police spend much of their time issuing tickets for driving violations. This would just be taking the next step.

I am not an engineer, but it seems obvious that when autonomous vehicles come along, it will be much better if today's non-autonomous vehicles can be eliminated. The AVs will be able to readily able to communicate with each other, as machines, but the non-AVs will present a problem. They will be like beetles in an ant colony, causing nothing but problems. What do you think?
Says the person not from this country, let alone continent...

Old 01-15-2019, 05:35 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:

You want the government - the same government that is incapable of balancing a budget, the same government that is filled with extraneous and useless personnel - to be in charge of transportation for the entire country?

Put down the crack pipe. It's bad for you.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
Quote:
No, that is just an analogy. Analogies are not meant to be taken literally.

Once autonomous vehicles come along (and they are already in service for industrial use), manually operated vehicles will be a problem. The AVs, as computerized machines, will be readily able to communicate with each other and cooperate. Human-driven vehicles, not so much. What are we going to do, surgically implant a USB connector into our heads?

When AV's come along, your vehicle will just be another cog in the grid, and there will be no more need for a privately-owned vehicle, any more than there is now a need for privately-owned roads. I for one find the prospect incredibly liberating.
So you're telling me that some little glorified prius is going to come over pick up me and my saw, take me up in the woods and come back with a cord of firewood?

Or when I want to load up my M1 carbine and my M1 "Grande" and go shooting, I have to take my truck or the Jeep, the prius wouldn't make it 25 feet. Besides it would get lost on those dirt trails and end up driving off a cliff, and I'll have to walk home. I don't think I will be buying a ticket for that crazy train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies