Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should we transition away from the concept of the privately-owned vehicle?
Yes, sooner rather than later! 23 5.26%
No allow privately-owned vehicles, but only if the owner can show need. 9 2.06%
no. 387 88.56%
other (please explain below). 18 4.12%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:31 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times

Advertisements

When I was in the Navy in San Diego I would take the train from San Diego down to Chula Vista to visit my buddy and his wife. I had some exciting times doing this. One of my most vivid memories is sitting across from a very fidgety guy who kept spitting 8-balls out into his hand and counting them. He did this about 13 times... I think he accidently swallowed one. Another time one of the members of a Hispanic gang stabbed this other guy while waiting for the train.

Good luck, Rg

Last edited by raggedjim; 01-18-2019 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 01:12 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nothing. And if the bus schedule was inconvenient Mom could drive you.

'you must spread the reputation around before you give it to North Beach Person again.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:46 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
There is no way that an AV could back a boat down a boat ramp, or a camper into a campsite without wholesale mayhem.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
We covered this earlier. The 5th Amendment restricts the ability of government to take property; it does not confer a right to own it in the first place.
That's because the right to own anything is a matter of Common Law.

Common Law is law that is so ingrained in Society, and steeped in history, that it's a matter of common knowledge.

If you noticed, the Constitution does not enumerate Common Law.

That's because even then, you would have had a document of 50,000+ pages.

The purpose of the Constitution was not to enumerate all Common Law, rather it was designed for two purposes, one to establish a governmental organization for a federal republic, and two, to enumerate either those actions that are prohibited by the federal government or to restrict the federal government from taking certain actions, unless specific conditions were met first.

The States were not subject to the US Constitution, only the federal government was, until the 14th Amendment bound all the States to the US Constitution.

Quote:
Do I have a right under the 5th to keep an elephant, lion, and tiger in my back yard as long as I have duly purchased them? No.
Yes, you do. It depends on where you live and how much education, training, experience and knowledge you have related to those animals.

You're also comparing animate objects with inanimate objects.

They are not the same thing.

Quote:
Neither is their a right to own a motor vehicle if is determined to be a threat to the environment, public safety, and the well-being of women, children, and the disadvantaged.
Motor vehicles are not a threat to the environment.

Motor vehicles are not a threat to public safety. Motor vehicles are inanimate objects and incapable of causing harm in and of themselves. Motor vehicles are no more dangerous than your shower or bathtub, the stairs in your home, the knives in your kitchen and the electricity that operates your TV and computer.

Motor vehicles provide for the well-being of women and children. Motor vehicles transport pregnant women to the doctor for pre-natal care, often to the hospital for child-birth, transport sick children to the doctor or hospital, and improve the quality of life for both women and children, by providing independence for women, so that they may transport their children to tutoring classes, musical instrument lessons, lessons in ballet, tap dance, judo, karate and other disciplines, and transport them to and from athletic training and sporting events, which is all to the child's benefit since it expands their minds, allows them to interact socially and maintains their physical fitness.

The disadvantaged are irrelevant, but I'm guessing you threw that in there in typical Liberal fashion to elicit a knee-jerk reaction.

Quote:
Under the constitution, gov't can instead direct me to a public conveyance if deemed necessary.
It would take government 30-50 years to develop a system at great cost and expense that would still leave Millions out of the loop.

Quote:
Again, these are extremely disappointing poll results--130-9. I can see that we have a lot of educational work to do.
We? You meant you. You can start by educating yourself on Supply & Demand, because the Supply of Lyft and Uber drivers will never meet the Demand, and neither will mass public transit.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
When the government transportation policy has been based on everybody driving everywhere, it would be difficult. True, some cities have public transportation, but it is very limited.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
In a world of finite resources and ever growing population, common sense suggests using the MOST EFFICIENT form of land transportation.
Barring an engineering breakthrough, steel wheel on steel rail is the champion. (20:1 advantage in rolling resistance)
Whether or not the rolling stock is privately owned won't hurt performance.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:28 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
The poll results pretty much shut this thread down as a legitimate conversation.

The OP must live in a higher density metro area and not travel much. Most of this nation is impossible to travel in without a car, and there does not exist a technology to change that fact. As far as autonomous cars go, they are realistically a long way off and will be unrealistically expensive for the vast majority of Americans. Besides that, you would see a popular vote due to the maintenance bills alone should it become law that everyone has to buy one if they want a car. Last, I like driving and so do millions of others. This would never gain enough popular support to become a reality.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
OP are you serious or are you lurking under some bridge waiting for unsuspecting passers-by?
He does come up with some world class troll material. I have to hand it to him for that at least.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
When I was in the Navy in San Diego I would take the train from San Diego down to Chula Vista to visit my buddy and his wife. I had some exciting times doing this. One of my most vivid memories is sitting across from a very fidgety guy who kept spitting 8-balls out into his hand and counting them. He did this about 13 times... I think he accidently swallowed one. Another time one of the members of a Hispanic gang stabbed this other guy while waiting for the train.

Good luck, Rg
Ride the subway or (God forbid), the bus in New York City for awhile and you'll quickly appreciate why cars aren't going anywhere. Sounded great to me too once upon a time until I tried it for a couple years. I got so sick of it I started commuting by bike in the middle of winter. Let the rabble rely on public transportation.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:02 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Let me say again, that I'm not in favor of forcing people out of their cars. It'll happen on its own, if we let it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The poll results pretty much shut this thread down as a legitimate conversation.

The OP must live in a higher density metro area and not travel much. Most of this nation is impossible to travel in without a car, and there does not exist a technology to change that fact. As far as autonomous cars go, they are realistically a long way off and will be unrealistically expensive for the vast majority of Americans. Besides that, you would see a popular vote due to the maintenance bills alone should it become law that everyone has to buy one if they want a car. Last, I like driving and so do millions of others. This would never gain enough popular support to become a reality.

You can't use mass transit's inadequacy as an excuse not to improve it. It's like saying that you should stop trying to teach kids, when they get bad grades.

You and millions of others may like driving. But there are millions of others who hate driving, and have little choice but to own a car, because that's the form of transportation our government has chosen for most of the US.

And then, there are millions of others who can't drive, even if they wanted to. These people have the choice of moving to one of the really expensive cities where public transit is good, or living on the fringes of society, getting around on the limited public transportation available to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies