Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I highly doubt it.
But for all the muzzie lovers who think Muslims are perfect and think everyone needs to bend over backwards to appease them at all costs- do you think that if Muslims were the vast majority in America, that they would reciprocate?

642 CE battle nahavand

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Yea that’s nice.

My point remains.

Your point is horse poop.

Build the wall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
I am reading a book about Thomas Jefferson. In his day, in Virginia, citizens with full rights were required to be an Episcopalian. Baptism was out-lawed and Catholicism was viewed about the same way some people in America now view Islam. Times obviously have changed and Virginia has gotten over their previous views. So, I see no reason why such a change could not happen in the USA, with Islam being the big change.

If you think America will be the same in 100-200 years as it is now, you are delusional. Besides, why would you care? You will be long gone.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am reading a book about Thomas Jefferson. In his day, in Virginia, citizens with full rights were required to be an Episcopalian.
No they weren't.

Quote:
Baptism was out-lawed
No it wasn't. You need to get out of the fiction section.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
With people of Islamic faith running for and winning state and loca elections across the US, could we ever see anyone with a hidden agenda to try and introduce Sharia Law to the United States? I'm sure I could find this out through hours of researching, but I'm wondering if any more knowledgeable members of CD know for sure what the skinny is on this subject. It concerns me, especially with the case of those Michigan doctors practicing female mutilation for years, ten years wasn't it? Whatever happened to them anyway. That case was abhorrent.

No, but we are getting very close to Christian Sharia law.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am reading a book about Thomas Jefferson. In his day, in Virginia, citizens with full rights were required to be an Episcopalian. Baptism was out-lawed and Catholicism was viewed about the same way some people in America now view Islam. Times obviously have changed and Virginia has gotten over their previous views. So, I see no reason why such a change could not happen in the USA, with Islam being the big change.

If you think America will be the same in 100-200 years as it is now, you are delusional. Besides, why would you care? You will be long gone.
Book title, please? It sounds to me like you are talking about Virginia prior to the ratification of the Constitution. Also, baptism? The Episcopal Church recognizes it as a sacrament, so where on earth did you get that notion? Are you talking about the Baptist Church?

Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they weren't.

No it wasn't. You need to get out of the fiction section.
Please back up what you say. State your sources to the contrary if you would like to be seen as credible. At least the person you're negating has cited some form of reference. I would think that if prompted, a proper title could be disclosed. What are you putting on the table?

Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
I doubt it.

The majority of Muslims that I've met in North America (US and Canada) pretty much want to be left alone. Oh, they may observe Ramadan, and pray five times a day, and are planning a once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca, as required by the five pillars of Islam; but they are not planning to ban beverage alcohol or chop the hands off of thieves.

Admittedly, some Muslims in North America would like that. We've all heard about the Muslim cabdriver who refuses a fare at the airport, because the arriving traveller is carrying duty-free booze; and we've heard about honor killings and female circumcision. But the latter two are crimes under states' and Canadian federal criminal codes (and are accordingly prosecuted); and the former usually results in the cabbie being shamed in public media at best, and a loss of job at worst.

But the majority of Muslims I've met in the US and Canada came to North America precisely to get away from that stuff. Away from the overbearing religion, away from overbearing relatives who insist that they follow that religion, and away from governments that deny rights based on that religion. Like my Roman Catholic friends, who can practice their religion by attending Mass, confessing their sins, and observing Lent without telling me about it; most Muslims of my acquaintance just want to observe their religion privately. They happily laugh at jokes made in the break room, talk about last weekend's football game, discuss the weather, make plans for weekend golf, and share stories of their kids as they grow up. They have no ulterior motive to institute Sharia law--that's what they wanted to get away from.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:11 AM

483 posts, read 353,819 times
I'm not at all worried about Sharia law given the miniscule number of muslims in the US and the fact that many US muslims prize the US for its lack of Islamism.

I get the feeling a lot of evangelical Christians would like the US to become more like Iran with a priesthood (interpreting scripture how they see fit) running things. The way in which the Evangelical movement has completely taken over the Republican party the past 15 years, while ostracizing the rest of us who had a different idea of what the party should represent, has me very concerned. In the same way their constant disregard of mainstream protestants and catholics is concerning. They are completely unwilling to compromise with anybody on anything. It seems like the thinking is that the end justifies the means, even if that means supporting clearly immoral church or political leadership.

The clergy in Iran didn't have widespread support for their religious agenda. The people of Iran did want change but look what it got them? I fear US evangelicals have a similar game plan. History has shown over and over again that a focussed minority is capable of taking over political leadership in a country, ours included.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:16 AM

4,901 posts, read 2,055,276 times
I'm Center-Right and I don't believe Sharia Law will ever happen in the United States. If it should EVER be seriously concidered, it would lead to a Constitutional crisis.

Again,I do not believe that it will ever take root and if it did, I would have to fight, by all means neccessary, to defeat it since it goes against my Christian, Western beliefs of personal freedoms and choices.

I'm sure that many, not all, but many on the Left would support Sharia Law, being the Law of the Land... Until they realize that Western culture isn't oppressive and that the rights they once had, are gone.

Under Sharia Law, women rights would disappear.... Forget about about being Pro Choice, which I am, since that's goes against that form of law. Forget about Gay rights/marriage, which is a non issue to me, since homosexuality is punishable by death.

Anybody who would support Sharia Law is no different than a dumb@zz college student with zero life experience, wearing a red "Che Guevara" tee-shirt. Thinking he was some kind of counter-revolution hero, but in "real" life and in the "real" world was nothing more than an evil murdering sociopath that even Fidel Castro wanted him dead.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Please back up what you say. State your sources to the contrary if you would like to be seen as credible. At least the person you're negating has cited some form of reference. I would think that if prompted, a proper title could be disclosed. What are you putting on the table?
Saying "I am reading a book" is not citing a reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies