Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Homosexuality is a choice:
Yes 50 22.94%
No 156 71.56%
Only here to see the poll results 12 5.50%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting for the genetic experts to come out and explain collectively why its genetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You know, it's quite funny that we still haven't had any of the people who think it is a choice answer the question of when they made the choice, and how they made it.... Very telling, isn't it?

Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I'm still waiting for the genetic experts to come out and explain collectively why its genetic.
So you can't answer it either then, huh?

Old 01-16-2019, 11:17 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I can not remember choosing to be heterosexual.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
That's hard to argue.... whether the homosexuality is caused by genetics or caused by upbringing and environment, the limbic system and subconscious mind are designed by nature to want to crave and repeat the same things, behaviors, thoughts, emotions, etc. it's learned to do in the past.

Perhaps a person could re-teach themselves to be a hetero-sexual over time (in fact I know they could) still it's hard to argue that something you've been feeling since childhood is a "choice" ... We gain new skills and traits by doing them and repeating them over and over though so if someone practiced enough, like say learning a new language like German, they could reprogram themselves. With sufficient practice and repetition, any human being can get good at just about any skill or take any position on an issue with enough brainwashing, which is why world leaders are so aware of how important it is to control the information flow their populace sees.

I will say that if you live with a transgender person and that transgender person throws their transgenderness in their children's faces and encourages them to grow up sexually neutral, these children much more likely to turn out transgender than someone who grows up with heterosexual parents, because we are the sum of our life experiences, and people underestimate how much of the traits we carry through life are picked up in childhood... how we are raised is SUPER important to our long term personality.

The research I've done suggests we don't even have free will.. that our responses are the result of environmental stimuli, that we are merely stimulus response machines who still act mostly on instincts, so I'm one to lean with the idea that for most people, homosexuality is not a choice. Most people don't have a choice in life unless they study psychology and make personal growth a passion. Most people float along on autopilot most of the time, which is simply a way to say they do "learned behavior" programmed into their subconscious.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I can not remember choosing to be heterosexual.
Thank you. And a follow up question if you don't mind: Could you suddenly "choose" to be gay for whatever reason? Just start being attracted to/dating/having relations with the same sex?

Old 01-16-2019, 11:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
I think its a learned behavior based on your environment growing up and you do have the choice to act on it or not.
I have yet to see evidence of the "gay gene" that the left insists there is and is holding hope for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
In life, EVERYTHING is a choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
well the two options are:
1. its a choice...

or

2. its a neurological birth defect, causing you to think/feel in an unnatural way
Quote:
and you are??? along with the "its genetic" crowd?

if it was genetic, then all pairs of identical twins would display homosexual behavior in 100% of the time..
These posts show a profound misunderstanding of how genetics works. There is no such thing as “the” gay gene, anymore than there is such a thing as “the” intelligence gene or “the” shyness gene. Human behavior is way more complex than that. I can’t give any of you a remedial course in genetics in a post being typed on a cell phone, but trust me - you need one.

As for natural - please explain this - The Gay Penguins of Australia - MrPolitic.com

Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
Ben Carson ignited a firestorm of controversy in an exclusive 2015 CNN interview when he asserted that homosexuality was a choice.

https://twitter.com/cnnpolitics/stat...86631214882816

Carson later walked back the comment after an onslaught of backlash.

https://twitter.com/msnbc/status/573294474132127745
Ben Carson: 'I deeply regret' saying homosexuality is a choice | MSNBC

Ben’s comment raise an interesting question. Is homosexuality a conscious decision or inherent characteristic?
And this article from 2015 is relevant now why?

Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Perhaps a person could re-teach themselves to be a hetero-sexual over time (in fact I know they could)
This is just false. You could "teach" yourself to have hetero relationships maybe, but that wouldn't change your attraction to the same sex. This is some "pray the gay away" type of BS.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Ben Carson is a very smart intelligent man, who is the victim of the idiocy of Christianity.

You see folks, America is generally a very stupid country when its elected leaders believe this crap and you can thank religion for it.

There is nothing else in Ben Carson’s background that would have him believe this crap outside of religion.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
This is just false. You could "teach" yourself to have hetero relationships maybe, but that wouldn't change your attraction to the same sex. This is some "pray the gay away" type of BS.
how about surgery/medicine.....

I will give an example

Sonny and Cher had a daughter Chasity ....she was/is gay

Chasity "felt" that she was a man (transgender)

now Chasity is Chaz, a male...but still attracted to females...is he no longer gay????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies