Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
They do talk about their backgrounds in certain situations. Since Obama and Kamala have different backgrounds than many Black-Americans they may not focus so much on it when addressing Black-American crowds because most Black-Americans don't share their types of backgrounds.
Most presidents have different backgrounds than most people, regardless of race or ethnicity. Trump is among the most different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 11:15 AM

550 posts, read 368,479 times
Would Harris be in the Senate if she hadn't slept with Willie Brown, former CA Speaker of the House and formidable Democrat insider?

That's not gossip. Brown used to introduce her to people as his girlfriend (even though he was married) and even the NY Times has reported on their relationship.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/m...es-matter.html.

Being an insider won her the party's support when she ran in the Senate primary against a far-better candidate, Rep. Loretta Sanchez.

I have a problem with a woman who sleeps around to get ahead regardless of the milieu.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
So she did it, just like she said. Kamala announced her run for president today, MLK day. Playing on black Americans' heart strings. Not just our heart strings, but white Americans', Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans and other groups as well. Everyone, don't fall for these tactics. If you do vote for her, don't look at her as a black American woman. Look and vote for her based on her policies, just like all the other candidates and their policies. Don't think you are helping to elect the first American DOS woman to be president. See her as the first Indian American woman, or first Jamaican American woman.
She had noted she would announce on MLK day if she was going to run. I listen to black radio shows in the morning and she had been making rounds about her book.

People can view her however they want to view her. Not everyone is invested in this DOS thing that you are invested in.

I'll note from what I've seen from her, she is not all that impressive. I'll also note that I am someone who politically does pay attention to policy that I feel will be beneficial for black Americans as a whole. If she is the person who supports initiatives that I feel will be beneficial, I will vote for her. I think it is kind of co-signing racist people to think that all us black people will just vote for her cause she's a black woman. It is always interesting to me that many self proclaimed black people (who are DOS) often co-sign white superiority ideals about our demographic (that we all think alike, that we all have similar backgrounds/experiences, that we have no diversity inside our demographic - even the DOS demographic depending on region/etc.).

You should worry about your own vote.

I wonder what policies though you believe would be beneficial to black people other than the reparations stuff you've mentioned before.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Descendants of Slaves. Of course I distinguish us here in the US by saying "American DOS".

I mention the upbringing to highlight he doesn't have a grasp on American DOS life. He grew up in Hawaii, lived in Indonesia for a time. His parents were Harvard grads, and yes, his grandmother was a bank executive. How many black Americans can say any of that? Most of us are among the first or second generation in our families to graduate from college. Our grandparents were sharecroppers, maids, and other domestic work. (Particular if our family remained in the South) We've gone through Jim Crow and everything else. What has Obama's parents and grandparents gone through?

Again I say this to show he doesn't relate to us. Forget his skin color. For intents and purposes, he was a white man with a Kenyan daddy. That's it. What is Kamala Harris? For all intents and purposes, she's an Indian and Jamaican woman, raised mostly by her Indian mother. So when I say they "cloak" themselves, they act as though they had the same experiences as the bulk of American DOS. Anytime anyone says when they look at Barack and Kamala, they see a black person, that implies they will be treated like any other black American. NOT!!!!!!!!!!! Yet the main thing is, they use that to get ahead. Wherever it benefits them. There success is not American DOS success.

Bernie didn't offer anything specifically for black Americans, but his policies would have helped us the most. When he talks about job guarantees, raising the minimum wage, going after the wealthy, and wealth distribution, that will help those at the bottom, which is where the majority of us are.
How old are you in regards to the bold?

I am nearly 40 and my grandparents were not sharecroppers or maids lol.

This is similar to what I mentioned in the above post in that you are seeking to place a particular experience on black people in America that is not a valid, reality based position.

Black people in America aged 40 and younger, our grandparents were not primarily field workers and maids anymore. Even those in the south. WW2 opened up lots of manufacturing positions for black people and we have always had an upper class of black people in this nation.

It is very strange to me that you associate black experience with poverty and servitude.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
She had noted she would announce on MLK day if she was going to run. I listen to black radio shows in the morning and she had been making rounds about her book.

People can view her however they want to view her. Not everyone is invested in this DOS thing that you are invested in.

I'll note from what I've seen from her, she is not all that impressive. I'll also note that I am someone who politically does pay attention to policy that I feel will be beneficial for black Americans as a whole. If she is the person who supports initiatives that I feel will be beneficial, I will vote for her. I think it is kind of co-signing racist people to think that all us black people will just vote for her cause she's a black woman. It is always interesting to me that many self proclaimed black people (who are DOS) often co-sign white superiority ideals about our demographic (that we all think alike, that we all have similar backgrounds/experiences, that we have no diversity inside our demographic - even the DOS demographic depending on region/etc.).

You should worry about your own vote.

I wonder what policies though you believe would be beneficial to black people other than the reparations stuff you've mentioned before.

I believe most people vote for candidates based on looks, or are single issue voters. Like I said, I believe most white Americans also voted for Obama because of the perception of him being black American. I want to shift everyone's minds from voting on looks, if someone is likable, or for a single issue. Yet even if it were to come down to voting for Kamala based on her being black, at least let her be American DOS. At least!

All that said, I'm making my rounds on social media, I'm looking at the mainstream. The talk and the feeling around Kamala is based on her race. I'm seeing the same things that went on with Obama. I'm helping to put an end to that talk. Besides reparations, the person who has policies that will fight against monopolies and fight for wealth distribution, is the one I will vote for. They will be a placeholder until I can get things like reparations on the mainstream for discussion. Right now, the person who looks to be best for that position is Bernie Sanders.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
How old are you in regards to the bold?

I am nearly 40 and my grandparents were not sharecroppers or maids lol.

This is similar to what I mentioned in the above post in that you are seeking to place a particular experience on black people in America that is not a valid, reality based position.

Black people in America aged 40 and younger, our grandparents were not primarily field workers and maids anymore. Even those in the south. WW2 opened up lots of manufacturing positions for black people and we have always had an upper class of black people in this nation.

It is very strange to me that you associate black experience with poverty and servitude.

I'm 30.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I believe most people vote for candidates based on looks, or are single issue voters. Like I said, I believe most white Americans also voted for Obama because of the perception of him being black American. I want to shift everyone's minds from voting on looks, if someone is likable, or for a single issue. Yet even if it were to come down to voting for Kamala based on her being black, at least let her be American DOS. At least!

All that said, I'm making my rounds on social media, I'm looking at the mainstream. The talk and the feeling around Kamala is based on her race. I'm seeing the same things that went on with Obama. I'm helping to put an end to that talk. Besides reparations, the person who has policies that will fight against monopolies and fight for wealth distribution, is the one I will vote for. They will be a placeholder until I can get things like reparations on the mainstream for discussion. Right now, the person who looks to be best for that position is Bernie Sanders.
So you are an internet activist lol....

FYI - internet activism really doesn't influence anyone except people who are already on your "team" so to speak.

It is funny to me that so many people today think they are really doing something just because of their opinion they type online. Obama was not popular initially with black Americans BTW. I remember when he was running in 2007 he was behind Hillary Clinton who was popular with black people until Bill Clinton's comments back then. Only after that did black people give him a look.

Other than her background, what don't you like about Kamala Harris and why would you think that any other candidate who is no part black at all or have any sort of "DOS" experience in America or anywhere else would be a better candidate, if you are only basing your view of candidates on them being black and having a DOS experience.

By your views, it seems you don't want black people to vote at all. Maybe just join you in a social group online and b**ch about white people and racism lol.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
I would have to hear her policy positions but Kamala Harris strikes me as a formidable opponent. A former prosecutor, her Senate questioning is very sharp.

She's smart and attractive.

I see her staying in until the end for what it's worth

Old 01-21-2019, 11:45 AM

However, I will admit I will give Kamala a chance mostly because she is an HBCU alum. As an HBCU alum myself, as I noted, I have no qualms about her being aware and knowledgeable about black history/experience because she was a political science major during a time when I know that Howard in particular was still providing an excellent enducation on this subject in connection with the black experience.

She will have my eye in the race.

Interestingly, I think she won't win or be in the top contenders unless something dramatic happens primarily because black men who are invested in online media such as yourself often want to demean black women or people who they think aren't "black enough" or down enough for whatever stuff they are down for (even though they sit behind a keyboard/smartphone and don't do much of anything for the community with their lives).

I do feel if Harris comes out and looks for support amongst black women in particular, she will have a lot of support and bonding opportunities with professional black women (and we have a LARGE network and are a part of the black demographic most involved in actual community service). So I do think she will have a good shot in our demographic but also understand there are a lot of men like you who'd rather we fracture our community based on arbitrary definitions of "blackness" than to unite on issues of importance to us and the future outside of reparations and other not-going-to-happen in our lifetimes sort of subjects.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
So you are an internet activist lol....

FYI - internet activism really doesn't influence anyone except people who are already on your "team" so to speak.

It is funny to me that so many people today think they are really doing something just because of their opinion they type online. Obama was not popular initially with black Americans BTW. I remember when he was running in 2007 he was behind Hillary Clinton who was popular with black people until Bill Clinton's comments back then. Only after that did black people give him a look.

Other than her background, what don't you like about Kamala Harris and why would you think that any other candidate who is no part black at all or have any sort of "DOS" experience in America or anywhere else would be a better candidate, if you are only basing your view of candidates on them being black and having a DOS experience.

By your views, it seems you don't want black people to vote at all. Maybe just join you in a social group online and b**ch about white people and racism lol.

I've said Kamala's policies wouldn't help us no more did Barack's policies. Kamala's record toward us is horrible to say the least. Though now she is trying to conform herself in a way that is appealing. The record is out. As for internet activism, social media is having an impact. If I was by myself, you would have a point. Yet the conversations are taking place. Particularly after the failure of Obama's presidency toward American DOS. (That's one of the reasons why I am now like I am.) Also, I am doing more than internet work, but again social media is where it's at. I would also encourage the American people to get off the mainstream, and research these things for themselves.

If a candidate ran on being a black person, if they are American DOS, it is more likely they will remember us in some of their policies. If you go home and your family is American DOS, and you do nothing for us, they will hear about it from family and friends. Who is Kamala going home to? Her white husband? What does he know? Will she go home to her Jamaican father who grew up in Jamaica? All her family and friends have no connection to us like that. Yet I guess you might say what about Obama? He had Michelle didn't he? That's all he had.

Last edited by Heavenese; 01-21-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies