Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,344,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post

Being an insider won her the party's support when she ran in the Senate primary against a far-better candidate, Rep. Loretta Sanchez.
Disagree with you on Sanchez, found her to be a bit too erratic so I voted for Harris. She is my Senator, and I'm darned glad she is going after Trump's minions. Whether she is in as the nominee or not, I'm happy to have her as my Senator.

Last edited by silverkris; 01-22-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,460,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
This idea that Obama stirred up racial division in this country is one of the most absurd things that can be uttered.

Absolutely ludicrous. Some whites just feel more comfortable letting their true colors show. Make no mistake about it: all the stuff happening in this country now is the result of their pent-up rage at the US having the audacity to have a black man lead the country for eight years. They are striking back with a vengeance. Crazy, because white people benefited the most from the Obama presidency...but the mental illness that is racism doesn't allow one to acknowledge facts.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,440,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
What are her policies?

I doubt you know of any without looking them up.

What is her record? Same as above.

On the blue - the vast majority of black people in America have no problem with Barack Obama's presidency nor with Kamala Harris. I can admit I didn't like everything about him but knowing what I know after his two terms, if he ran again, I'd vote for him again over any other candidates because I know what I would get with him.

Social media and "discussions" are not anything valid that is taking place in the real world. Most people in your age group talk a good talk but don't walk that walk and mostly encourage people not to vote and to have a defeatest attitude, something that is very much contrary to our formerly enslaved ancestors and their descendants in the 20th century. Honestly I feel very bad for you and feel you need some psychological help, similar to people in my own family who get WAY too into social media, YouTube, instagram, etc., in regards to memes and continously replayed messages - placing themselves in a silo of one sided information. At least you are here, but you don't seem to have any sort of open mind in regards to the....I'll just say fallacy of what you are saying/writing here.

For me if you want to support black people, via policies of a particular candidate, you look at the candidate's policies much moreso than race and gender. I'll admit that black people often will trust a black person off hand much moreso who is in politics than a non-black person, including a half black person, or someone with admitted black ancestry. That is because they usually have some personal experience, meaning in their own life, with being black in America. It is not dependent upon having a slavery ancestry or even living through the Civil Rights movement because you did not so by your own account, you are not "really" black. Neither did I. My grandparents don't fit your stereotypical narrative and many of my great grandparents/2nd great grandparents don't (I have 2nd great grandparents who went to and completed college for instance in the 1800s). You should take a step out of your silo and read some actual books about black culture, history, political science, and activism and stop relying on "discussions" online for your source of information. I always counsel the students that I mentor and teach who are black that no one can "take" anything from you today, that you are black no matter your parents, no matter what you are "into," no matter what songs you like, where your parents came from, or your background. Being black means you are a part of the black experience. We should not encourage division within our demographic. You seems to be following the hotep types in your social media and should be aware that when you stay in that silo, you will only be sent messages that reinforce your mindset.

It will be interesting IMO to review psychological and sociological studies in the future that focus on social media and how it increases anxiety, delusion, paranoia, and other mental health issues by reinforcing a particular view to make people get fixated and obsessed about it. This sort of thing is not healthy. You seem to need a social media break for about 6 months and re-set yourself. Read some books by black authors in your absence to assist you in your recovery.

And please note for other readers that IMO many Trump followers are the same way - invested in a crazy silo of information and refuse to even consider or view something that contradicts that silo. Frantz Fannon described it as "cognitive dissonance." OP you should read his work - especially "Black Skin, White Masks" which is a book that highlights how many black people go through life compelled to compare themselves to whites and achieving success based on "whiteness" and how this fosters insecurity in one's psyche.

You're comparing me to teens (and grown people who shouldn't be) who stay on Lebron James' twitter or watch make up or gaming social media. I'm talking straight politics, stuff that is consequential to our every day lives. The social media I watch are those that involve the CBC. I go on their twitter and call them out on their bull. I go on my local politicians twitter, and see what they are talking about. I talk to my family and friends around me, urging them to get involve in this way and other ways. You are saying that has no effect? We'll see come the primaries.

Now, what are Kamala's policies? I mostly go on what she has done as AG of California. How she had inmates (mostly black) fighting fires for pennies. That is free labor. I read about her truancy laws that put black parents in jail if their kids skipped school. I read about her failing to prosecute Steve Mnuchin and his bank, considering all they have done to black people and others. The same Steve Mnuchin that is currently Trump's Secretary of Treasury. He wouldn't be there if Kamala did her freaking job. Yet on the flip side, she did her job in locking black people up. Of course as senator, she failed to do anything for the fact that black people are being priced out of California, how the homeless population in Skid Row is 50% black. Where is her advocacy? Where is she consistently fighting for black Americans? Come on. Yet I'm the crazy one who don't know nothing? I'm the one who's full of it?

All that said, notice your words when you keep mentioning my stance concerning the black community. You keep saying stuff like "my parents", "my grand parents", "my life". Never once have I ever said every black American DOS is in straight up poverty. What I have said is the majority of us have no wealth. The majority of us are at the bottom of America. That's what the data says. That's what everything says when you measure life in this country. Every economics professor says the same thing. Every historian says the same thing. I'm not speaking from me and mine, and my anecdotal life and from anecdotes of those around me. That's not how you measure anything. I'm a scientist when it comes to black life. Everybody can measure the data and get the same results.

All that said, I don't need therapy over what I do concerning social media, yet concerning all the trauma that has been inflicted on American DOS in this country, I wouldn't be against regular therapy for us at all. That's another discussion within itself, but I'll let that out there. To your second post, my parents had me in their 40s. (My mom actually in her late 30s) My grandparents on both sides were sharecroppers, and my parents helped them until they went to an HBCU and graduated. Then both of them got government jobs, one a teacher and the other a social worker. Both, along with most American DOS, benefited from the Civil Rights Movement and the resulting early Affirmative Action policies. (Affirmative Action today is mostly crap, but not so much back then) So it were those government policies that sort of lifted black Americans, but the work was no where near complete. It was half-a$$ed to say the least. That's my family's upbringing, but I don't highlight that as evidence for black life.

What I highlight is where are black people as a whole in this country? Why are they where they are? What can be done about it? That is where my advocacy comes from. It doesn't come from aspiration, or if black people can do this and that on their own. We've tried that for hundreds of years, every time we were met with road blocks, or just had everything taken away. Now's really not the time for anyone to be thinking about what they can do as a group to improve themselves, much less American DOS and those at the bottom. We are living in a day and age where wealth is calcifying to the top. Even if you have 100k+ of net worth, life is about to get very hard for you. The cost of living is skyrocketing, and folks like Obama sped that up! Time's out for the aspiration talk, when our government is on the side of monopolies and crapping on worker's rights.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Absolutely ludicrous. Some whites just feel more comfortable letting their true colors show. Make no mistake about it: all the stuff happening in this country now is the result of their pent-up rage at the US having the audacity to have a black man lead the country for eight years. They are striking back with a vengeance. Crazy, because white people benefited the most from the Obama presidency...but the mental illness that is racism doesn't allow one to acknowledge facts.

I agree. Also as I mentioned before, even they are confused about who Obama really was and what he represented. It wasn't like Obama did anything for black Americans, yet the racists are the ones who are mad.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
How old are you in regards to the bold?

I am nearly 40 and my grandparents were not sharecroppers or maids lol.

This is similar to what I mentioned in the above post in that you are seeking to place a particular experience on black people in America that is not a valid, reality based position.

Black people in America aged 40 and younger, our grandparents were not primarily field workers and maids anymore. Even those in the south. WW2 opened up lots of manufacturing positions for black people and we have always had an upper class of black people in this nation.

It is very strange to me that you associate black experience with poverty and servitude.
I am in my 60s. My grandparents weren’t sharecroppers or maids either.
My grandparents were part of the great migration from the south to the north.
They, along with other family members found jobs in manufacturing and public service (for example), bought houses and, along with the rest of the family that found homes in Ohio, lived pretty middle-class suburban lives.

Their kids, including my father, attended college, joined the military, attended church...
Same with their kids and their kids’ kids.

Has there been discrimination?
Of course.

But to suggest that these aren’t “genuine” black experiences is just silly.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
Kamalala is so dumb, she said drugs come through the stop points. hahahahaha Guess what kami, they are coming from all over including our coasts! Then she doesn't like the knights of Columbus, a charitable organization that has been around a hundred years but she likes the muslims. (((scary))) woman....
She said drugs come in through legal points of entry.

She is not wrong.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,634,683 times
Quote:
I agree. Also as I mentioned before, even they are confused about who Obama really was and what he represented. It wasn't like Obama did anything for black Americans, yet the racists are the ones who are mad.
Obama did things for Black Americans but whites benefited as well. It’s not like Obama could come in and hand out reperations. He changed laws, reduced prison sentences, helped with home ownership, etc.

Some folk just hated seeing a Black man raise a Black family in the WH.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Obama did things for Black Americans but whites benefited as well. It’s not like Obama could come in and hand out reperations. He changed laws, reduced prison sentences, helped with home ownership, etc.

Some folk just hated seeing a Black man raise a Black family in the WH.
That's truly all black Americans got out of Obama. We got to see a black family in the White House. See black children playing with their dog on the WH lawn. All we got was symbolism.

He caused no major shift in mass incarceration. Black people were and are still being targeted for jail in large numbers compared to their population size. Help with home ownership? Since the recession, every group has recovered and are increasing in that area, everyone except black people of course. The group that was hit hardest by the housing market crash due to predatory lending by banks. Did Obama address that aspect of the market crash? No. He let those banks get off scott free, leaving black Americans to pick up the pieces again. That is what Obama did for black people.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 PM

21,898 posts, read 9,474,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We’ll see if Black America is as gullible as they were in ‘08 & ‘12.

I have low expectations they learned anything.
Jesus, they still think Obama was a great president. Low bar.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,517,980 times
Quote:
That's truly all black Americans got out of Obama. We got to see a black family in the White House. See black children playing with their dog on the WH lawn. All we got was symbolism.

He caused no major shift in mass incarceration. Black people were and are still being targeted for jail in large numbers compared to their population size. Help with home ownership? Since the recession, every group has recovered and are increasing in that area, everyone except black people of course. The group that was hit hardest by the housing market crash due to predatory lending by banks. Did Obama address that aspect of the market crash? No. He let those banks get off scott free, leaving black Americans to pick up the pieces again. That is what Obama did for black people.

Obama's DOJ made major reforms of policing and criminal justice through consent decrees with New Orleans, Baltimore, Chicago, LA, Oakland, Albuquerque, and Ferguson (among others).

The Obama DOJ also targeted many banks for discrimination in lending, levying fines of over $500M for two major banks alone, and getting dozens of smaller banks to reform lending practices following investigations into redlining and other lending abuses.

You are missing facts and replacing them with rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies