Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think we are losing 'rule of law?'
yes, and that's a real problem. 20 95.24%
yes, but the loss is little or no cause for concern. 1 4.76%
no. 0 0%
other (please explain below. 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times

Advertisements

Rule of law is arguably as important to 20th century Western Civilization as democracy itself. Without rule of law, we have rule of men. It seems to me that 'rule of law' is undergoing significant erosion. Here are 5 examples:

1)Sanctuary cities. Obviously an effort to circumvent federal immigration law. We now have 2 counties in Washington state where sheriffs have stated that they will not enforce a recently passed state gun law. In other words 'gun sanctuary counties.'

2)The bogus 'lying to investigators' rap that got both Michael Flynn and Lewis 'Scooter' Libby. Prosecutors in both cases could not show any underlying crime, so they resorted to charging them with 'lying to investigators.' The case of Libby was especially egregious since it was about the outing of CIA employee Valerie Plame. Libby never outed her. That was done by Richard Armitage of the State Dept. Armitage was never charged in the case.

By contrast DNI James Clapper was shown to have blatantly lied under oath to Congress. He was never charged.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1045991001/

3)De facto drug legalization. Here in WA we have legalized marijuana via ballot measure, but it remains legal under federal law. The WA gov. and US atty general made a deal to ignore federal law. In fact some counties here have gone even further, and announced that they will no longer arrest anyone for possession of any drug for personal use. There is a big push for 'safe injection sites' for heroin users, which essentially legalizes heroin. There is a legitimate argument for not arresting users, but as long as laws are on the books, if we don't enforce them, we don't have rule of law.

4)Teacher strikes. Our previous state attorney general Rob McKenna (who is widely acknowledged as a brilliant lawyer) once said that he researched the issue of teacher strikes, and concluded that they are illegal under state law. Yet we have them all the time, and nothing is done.
https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...es-are-illegal

5)Legislation from the executive branch. ObamaCare is a good example of this. In effect, much of the 'legislating' was left to the HHS Secretary. Much of what is really legislating is now done through the executive branch, whether by regulation or by executive order. This is not rule of law; it is rule of President, i.e. rule of man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
In regards to the drug issue, why would people keep supporting the laws, if they are ineffective, or causing more harm in the process? Consider how long the war on drugs has been raging...what strides have they made in all this time, drugs continue to flow across the border and reach their destination with amazing consistency!

Besides being ridiculously ineffective, the drug laws are not constitutional, so is it appropriate for the public to obey and comply with unconstitutional laws? Of course not!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Yes. Not always but over time.

1) Cops get to play I want your stuff game. Who is going to spend 10K to get back the 3K they took?
2) Eric Clanton Antifa member assaults 6 people with a large metal bike lock gets probation and a misdemeanor. Do you really think a proud boy member would get less than a felony and several years in prison?

Just two off the top of my head.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
We are slowly, inperceptibly losing the "rule of law."

LIBERTY... Remember that word? What does it mean to you?
You yourself have the liberty to try, or do what ever the hell you want. Everything and anything. It is your LIBERTY. You only have a MASTER, when you get caught.
Nothing is illegal, unless you get caught.
Some people have never consented to be governed by another human. They are free. They have Freedom from a Master, controlling what they do, or say. They have liberty, even when caught.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 AM

There are only a few laws I live buy. Don't threaten me, my family or my property. You will be punished, so it never ever happens again.
Don't harm me, my family or my property. You will be punished, so it never ever happens again.
Don't Steal from me. You will be punished, so it never ever happens again.
Do not slander or libel me, to defame my character. You will be punished, so it never ever happens again.

All other laws are to be disregarded and an encroachment on my personal liberties. Bullying, intimidating, and harassment.
Most are a threat to my life, liberty, and happiness.
Today, governments threaten to take your life, if they cannot take your liberty and no one seems happy.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:49 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Rule of law is arguably as important to 20th century Western Civilization as democracy itself. Without rule of law, we have rule of men. It seems to me that 'rule of law' is undergoing significant erosion. Here are 5 examples:

1)Sanctuary cities. Obviously an effort to circumvent federal immigration law. We now have 2 counties in Washington state where sheriffs have stated that they will not enforce a recently passed state gun law. In other words 'gun sanctuary counties.'

2)The bogus 'lying to investigators' rap that got both Michael Flynn and Lewis 'Scooter' Libby. Prosecutors in both cases could not show any underlying crime, so they resorted to charging them with 'lying to investigators.' The case of Libby was especially egregious since it was about the outing of CIA employee Valerie Plame. Libby never outed her. That was done by Richard Armitage of the State Dept. Armitage was never charged in the case.

By contrast DNI James Clapper was shown to have blatantly lied under oath to Congress. He was never charged.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1045991001/

3)De facto drug legalization. Here in WA we have legalized marijuana via ballot measure, but it remains legal under federal law. The WA gov. and US atty general made a deal to ignore federal law. In fact some counties here have gone even further, and announced that they will no longer arrest anyone for possession of any drug for personal use. There is a big push for 'safe injection sites' for heroin users, which essentially legalizes heroin. There is a legitimate argument for not arresting users, but as long as laws are on the books, if we don't enforce them, we don't have rule of law.

4)Teacher strikes. Our previous state attorney general Rob McKenna (who is widely acknowledged as a brilliant lawyer) once said that he researched the issue of teacher strikes, and concluded that they are illegal under state law. Yet we have them all the time, and nothing is done.
https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...es-are-illegal

5)Legislation from the executive branch. ObamaCare is a good example of this. In effect, much of the 'legislating' was left to the HHS Secretary. Much of what is really legislating is now done through the executive branch, whether by regulation or by executive order. This is not rule of law; it is rule of President, i.e. rule of man.
Times change. The law must adapt to reflect the change. Get used to it. As the younger voters come of age increase in numbers, you will see a lot more changes in gun laws, healthcare laws, wage laws, protected classes, et cetera. They are not their parents or grandparents.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Times change. The law must adapt to reflect the change. Get used to it. As the younger voters come of age increase in numbers, you will see a lot more changes in gun laws, healthcare laws, wage laws, protected classes, et cetera. They are not their parents or grandparents.
Good thing the Supreme Court is becoming more Textualist and not so much Precedence.
You, your kids and your grandkids are going to need it.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:11 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
I'm starting to see an alarming pattern with your posts, travis.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
It must not be imperceptible or this thread would not be here.

Quote:
We are slowly, inperceptibly losing the "rule of law." Here are 5 examples.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 AM

162 posts, read 62,273 times
Lots of people look at the problems we have today with no historical context whatsoever. Do you think the rule of law was better in the past? When? Certainly not the 1800's, where we had Cowboy outlaw justice in the west and civil war in the east. Probably not the early 1900's, where we had prohibition subterfuge, and the rise of organized crime and political corruption (why the FBI was created in the first place).

So what are we comparing today's problems to specifically? A single cherry picked decade in the second half of the 20th century? Even then, I bet you can find way more problems in that romanticized decade than what we are facing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies