Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:56 AM

48,415 posts, read 34,593,681 times

Advertisements

It seems to be ending via authorizing various workers to return to their jobs with pay, one department at a time..... IRS, State Dept....... eventually everyone will be back at work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 10:56 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
Don't know, don't care...
You will care when someone tries to rob you for a can of beans or forces you at gunpoint to drive to a ATM and withdraw cash because they haven't received a paycheck in 3 months.

I can't understand the lack of sympathy and empathy. Is it mental illness?

Anyway....the TSA agents all need to stop coming to work. When there's noone left to make sure the airways are secure and terrorists start getting through and all hell starts breaking loose, they will have to come to some sort of resolution. This is ridiculous and I'm starting to get scared of what's going to happen if people don't start getting paid.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:05 AM

419 posts, read 464,626 times
I think Mitch McConnell will have to man up. It's his job to pass bills on to the President. It's not his job to kiss up and refuse to send bills, that's not what he's there for. If the House and Senate pass the bills, forward them on. It's on Trump to sign or decline, that's HIS job.

If Mitch were up to the task, work would actually be getting done. Not saying that progress would be the end result (that would be on Trump, whether he signed off or not), but at least we could feel better about those we send to Congress (hear this Kentucky) doing what we elected them to.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes. McConnell has vowed not to introduce a Bill that President Trump isn't in favor of. GEEZ.
Turtle neck DID find time today to schedule a vote on an anti-abortion bill though.

Screw the people; he does not care.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 AM

51,608 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pelosi and all the other slimey scumbag Democrats, were ready to cut and run to hob nob at Davos, instead of taking care of business.
Are they really that out of touch? The world really does revolve around the dumb ass Democrats.
Got your memes mixed up there, BB.

Mnuchin was going to Davos. His bribe hustling trip was called off.

Pelosi and he bipartisan group were going to Afghanistan. They were taking care of business, which is spending oversight.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:28 AM

51,608 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
When one of 4 things happen:

1. Pelosi blinks and gives Trump what he wants,
2. Trump blinks and accepts the 1.6 billion for the wall,
3. McConnell grows a pair, allows the Senate to vote on the House proposal, Sends it to Trump, Trump vetoes and congress overrides it,
4. The economy starts to tank and threatens Trump's approval ratings with his base.
1) Ain't happening. This isn't her first rodeo.

2) Ain't happening. Trump's base would shriek to high heaven.

3) Ain't happening. McConnell may eventually call for a vote. Hard to say. But if it passes and Trump vetoes, it is unlikely enough House Republicans will vote to override veto. So the shutdown continues.

4) The economy is already slipping along with Trump's approval rating. This will eventually get serious enough that he will have to make a move.

The move will likely be declaring a national emergency and announcing he has the right to appropriate funds to build his wall. It will be tied up in court forever and a day.

Meanwhile, Senate will pass the House bills. Trump signs them announcing that he has won and that he is putting everybody back to work. He will be surrounded by folks wearing their red MAGA caps and grinning.

Life will go back to normal.

Whatever that might be these days.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM

20,784 posts, read 9,417,330 times
When Mueller's report comes out, and it includes many serious allegations against Trump, Trump Jr and Kushner (plus, probably who knows what else), Trump will decide he has little choice but to end the shutdown and give in on the wall because he clearly has more important things to worry about.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:52 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,695,510 times
When there is no beer for Superbowl Sunday!

https://www.craftbeer.com/editors-pi...raft-breweries

Seriously though, I really don't know what will end it, but if it gets to the point where federal workers stop working for free and stop showing up for work (because they quit or are looking for other jobs) then it will end because then it will impact regular Americans who don't even seem to realize they use the services of federal employees daily. Even those who want a border wall will realize they actually do need border control agents (among others).

Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,745,400 times
I am a bit naive and still have a little faith in democracy, so I am going to say that both Trump and Pelosi swallow a bit of pride, act like adults, and come to a compromise. I suggest they settle on $2.7B. This whole thing is making them both look bad, but Trump probably more so.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,695,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am a bit naive and still have a little faith in democracy, so I am going to say that both Trump and Pelosi swallow a bit of pride, act like adults, and come to a compromise. I suggest they settle on $2.7B. This whole thing is making them both look bad, but Trump probably more so.

Stop being so reasonable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies