Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:40 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh my. The "Opioid epidemic" is getting to be like the gun control debate. So much misinformation. Oxycontin and oxycodone have been really demonized. I'm a pain patient with a seriously painful bone disease and I tell my doctor not to write for either of them because they are so hard to get. Oxycontin my insurance won't cover but they do cover oxycodone. There's no difference other than oxycontin is an extended release. Used to be that people abusing the drug would crush them up and snort what is supposed to be a 12 hour dose. They can't do this anymore a oxycontin tablets are no longer crushable short of running them through a ball mill.

But oxycodone tablets are still quite crushable. As are morphine extended release (MS contin). There will always be abusers out there but they don't get their fixes from doctors. It's legitimate pain sufferers that are paying the price for the abusers. This I know well firsthand. The DEA crawls up my hind end with a microscope and my doctors as well.

The abusers don't sweat this. Unless their illegal dealer gets popped. There's GOT to be a better way.
Does it matter as much if the kind that releases instantly are crushed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
This is exactly the kind of think that happens over and over with Big Pharma.

So the real question is: When is someone going to be held accountable? When will people go to jail? When will companies be dismantled?
The Real Truth is that the USA is currently a Corporate State. They win, you lose.

I dislike this as much as anyone else, but it has been going on for a LONG time. With a total of over 4 Trillion dollars (25% of GDP) on the Medical and Security (war) complex, don't imagine that the powers-that-be are able to do the "right thing" using typical moral and ethical guidelines. Follow the money.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Now there are abuse deterrents in most extended release formulations. There's more drug in an extended release tablet than an immediate release. The principal is still the same in that snorting it gives you a better high.

Snorting tablets can really cause problems with your nose. When you crush a tablet, it still can have sharp edges and that can lead to permanent damage. Pretty much everything intended to go into the nose is a liquid.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:05 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That they take gifts from pharmaceutical marketing reps.
What is Open Payments?

About Open Payments Data. ... One of the ways that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) provides data to the public is through this search tool, which allows the public to search for physicians and teaching hospitals receiving payments, as well as companies that have made payments.

That site doesn't necessarily indicate your doctor is on the take with the pharma companies.

https://www.cms.gov/openpayments/abo...n-context.html

Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I'm curious why they would prescribe oxycontin for some pains that didn't need it - and if it was for kickbacks, then yes, people need to be held responsible.

In case you missed it when I told this before, here it is again: In 2004, I snapped my ankle and had to get a metal plate and pins put in. Despite it being an out patient surgery, I don't do those so well and had to stay in the hospital over night. I was pretty drugged up on who knows what while there - but when I left, I was given a prescription for oxycontin. Had no clue what that was, was just told to take it x times a day for the pain. Ok. Home I went.

At first, I just slept. The next day, I felt a bit of pain when I had to stand up (with crutches of course). I was supposed to be on bed rest for 6 weeks, but you do have to stand up sometimes, and that was when all the blood crashed right in to the side where my ankle is, and it was horrible pain. So I took one of those oxycontins.

The results were:

a) the pain didn't actually go away
b) I did hallucinate a dog in the driveway. I had gotten up for a reason, and then decided to sit outside on the bench overlooking the front yard and garden at my brother's house to just get out of bed and to enjoy some fresh air and...God, even one day sitting around doing nothing was too much. I was daydreaming when I focused back into reality and there was a dog, a big golden colored dog, standing at the end of the driveway looking up at me. I had a second to wonder if I could make it to the door before he got up the driveway, reached for my crutches, looked back over to him...and he wasn't actually there. That was a mind ...uh..duck..mind duck that I never want to experience again.
c) Because of that, I never took another oxycontin pill.

I found out that Ibuprofen worked a whole lot better on the pain, made it bearable, and I didn't hallucinate random dogs threatening me at the end of the driveway. I even questioned back then why I would be prescribed something that would make me hallucinate but not do a thing for the pain when a regular pain pill worked far better.

I feel like sometimes doctors get on these popular waves in diagnosing and prescribing things - kind of how I feel about how so many were being diagnosed with ADHD left and right. Sure, some were legit, but I don't think most of them were.

While it may have been known since the first medicine man, the fact is, doctors seem to push certain things on people depending on what seems popular to do at the time. That goes for veterinarians, as well. They push things on people - most of them never take more than a single nutrition class in school, the one they do take is sponsored by Hills, so of course they push that garbage onto people in their offices, when in reality, it's crap food for the pets no matter how much they tout it's for "diabetic cats" or "weight loss" or whatever.

People do blindly believe everything their doctor tells them. They blindly believe what their vet tells them. But they question and second guess everything else in the world. Do patients have any responsibility in any of this?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have any of you been prescribed such legal pharma products? I have, having to have had 2 c-sections to deliver 9 pound frank breech babies who sure as hell were not going to be born the usual way (vaginal delivery). The barbiturates made me nauseous. I wouldn't take them any more than what was absolutely necessary. How the hell does anyone get addicted to that chit?
I have to agree with you. It was prescribed when I had a c section. I took one pill and couldn’t even function. But many people love the feeling they get from it.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:21 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Depending on her monetary situation.....many pain sufferers have reported good results with Poppy Seed Tea.

As with a lot of things it's fully legal - until you drink it (probably still legal then, but not in an actual pharma sense)....

Poppy Seed Tea: Discover the Secrets of this Homemade High

Communities on reddit and elsewhere.

It is a pain lately.....now they want you back once a week or once a month or whatever. Apparently adults aren't consider adults any longer. Heck, I was treated like an addict when I bought a small pack of Sudafed yesterday for my cold.

BTW, the instructions docs give on not mixing opiates with booze or tranqs, etc. is GOOD ADVICE. When you research most opiate deaths you find such mixtures present.
That's true. I wish more people would take that warning seriously.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
With the exception of prescriptions from approved providers, a prescription for the purpose of maintaining an addict is illegal. That provision has been law for a century. That is why they had to pass another law for Suboxone and methadone treatment. DEA is trying to get more Suboxone prescribers. It isn't that hard to get approved. They have to take an 8 hour course and for the first year, they are limited to 30 patients and afterwards, it is increased to 100..

Anyway, it is Purdue pharma not Perdue. It's named after the university.

The Controlled Substance Act is notoriously vague. It says per professional judgement alot.
No, it is not.
Quote:

Dr. John Purdue Gray and George Frederick Bingham start The Purdue Frederick Company on Manhattan’s Lower East Side.
https://www.purduepharma.com/about/#&panel1-1

Dr. John Ourdue Gray was born in Half Moon, Pennsylvania, the son of Peter D. Gray, a Methodist minister and farmer, and Elizabeth Purdue. He received his early education at Bellefonte Academy and Dickinson College, and he studied medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1849.

Purdue Pharma has nothing to do with Purdue University, and Dr. John Purdue Gray never lived in Indiana. Purdue University is named for the Lafayette, Indiana business man who was the University's primary benefactor when its land grant was first established.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That they take gifts from pharmaceutical marketing reps.
Here we go again. Doctors are not allowed to take gifts from reps, especially not cash payments. I have worked for doctors since 1998 and they used to be allowed to take gifts. This has since been made illegal. Oh wait, they are. If a drug rep wants to explain a medicine, product, or process to us, they are allowed to pay for our Chick-Fil-A lunch while they discuss whatever product with us. That's it. So if you consider a $5 chicken sandwich a gift, then we are allowed lavish gifts.

They and we are never allowed to sell samples to anyone. And the doc may or may not choose to use their product. They don't receive kickbacks for writing scripts (except in the case of scandals such as these, that is). As for the chorus of the evils of "Big Pharma, Big Pharma, Big Pharma," I don't hear people complaining when they need aspirin for a headache. Or antibiotics for a terrible infection. Or insulin for diabetes. Or chemotherapy for cancer. All these come courtesy of the same evil "Big Pharma."

How is Big Pharma supposed to pay for its research and development? Do you think the drugs that are used to treat every medical condition we have just magically fall from the sky? No. In order for a drug to be approved by the FDA and marketed for the public (i.e. you and me,) it undergoes YEARS of testing on animals and humans. And that's only after scientists work for years trying to figure out a chemical formula that relieves whatever medical condition they want to treat. This costs millions or billions of dollars. And many times their attempts fail anyway. So for those drugs whose discovery and implementation are successful, the costs of the failures of other drugs can be passed onto them as well. Drugs are terribly expensive. But the government does not subsidize any of the cost of the R&D. And we still need them. Our bodies are fallible, they fail, and they break.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Abusers crush and snort them. So it acts faster. And they can still crush up what would be an extended release dosage. Which they do. Oxycontin is just a whipping boy. It has been singled out and targeted as the bogeyman. In NV there are not and have really never been "pill mills" of the type FL is infamous for but abusers still can get whatever they want. But NOT from doctors.

I compared this opioid epedemic to the gun control issue in how legal and above board sources that law abiding citizens utilize are being lumped into the criminal class. It's not right and is only serving to come between doctors and the patients they are trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies