Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
The driver was the use of the "CDO"....
CDOs were based on what? In too many cases, the mortgages given to people who never should have qualified. The $2.4 trillion worth of such high risk mortgages mandated by HUD at Cuomo's demand. It's all historical fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 06:22 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Wow, you went there fast.
why do you have a problem with 'facts" just because it identified a known fact of "wealthy white people"... Geez... You missed the whole point of the matter, because you became incensed when you see the words "white people".... "The Point was" - Status and Wealth, Family Name and University Title, and the Status of Sport Programming participation "above" Academic excellence. (gee whiz!!!) I provided a link and you ignored it completely... there are many other articles that address those known facts.

It's not Jim Crow anymore, where society was to never make note or reference to anything about 'white people'.

Come on.... !!!

Old 01-18-2019, 06:31 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
CDOs were based on what? In too many cases, the mortgages given to people who never should have qualified. The $2.4 trillion worth of such high risk mortgages mandated by HUD at Cuomo's demand. It's all historical fact.
I did not have a dispute with your stated fact..... I addressed that it was not only people who did not have mortgages previously, I referenced people who had mortgages, but traded up beyond what they could afford if not for the game of variable rates. There were also people who had "multiple properties".. which under previous conditions, they never would have acquired.

We had too the game of " excessive and absurd assessed valuation", which was based on pure fiction of "sales frenzy".... and the systems willingness to do anything, to pack the CDO with Mortgages, for the sake of selling and using those CDO to back even more lending for the sake of "money spinning and money drain off"...

Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
I did not have a dispute with your stated fact..... I addressed that it was not only people who did not have mortgages previously, I referenced people who had mortgages, but traded up beyond what they could afford if not for the game of variable rates.
The bottom line is that Cuomo's (HUD) mandate that Fannie and Freddie buy $2.4 trillion worth of mortgages made to people who would not otherwise qualify set off the entire credit collapse when they began defaulting at a higher than acceptable percentage. The Federal Reserve had to create a non-offsetted (e.g., by US Treasuries) extra $2 trillion worth of USD to buy the high-risk mortgages, thereby diluting the USD, and the Federal Reserve is just letting those MBS roll off the Federal Reserves H.4.1 as they mature, paid off or not.

Meanwhile, as I've already posted, and documented by the NY Times, tens of thousands of people who've defaulted on their mortgages for 5+ years are getting their homes for free.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
OP, everyone knows this. That's why there's the phrase "B students rule the world".

Old 01-18-2019, 06:49 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
There aren't a lot of millionaires, so I don't get the obsession with comparing to them. I would be more concerned with the average GPA of six figure earners. A lot of millionaires are business owners, which means you just need to be knowledgeable and a good entrepreneur.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It’s funny how around here, we get all this talk about IQ and who does or doesn’t deserve admission into this or that elite university. Turns out that the most successful people (if success is largely determined by money) were fairly pedestrian students. Not dumb, but not academic superstars by a long shot on average.

This 2017 article that first appeared on Business Insider, and it’s not long at all. It lists a few of the reasons why average students are more likely to end up at the top as opposed to the high academic achievers.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/amphtml/295095
IMO,
The other side of the coin is A LOT more dangerous.

In contrast to a few hundred millionaires who were “pedestrian students”, there are MILLIONS of unskilled and/or blue collar labor, people who work at minimum wage, or suck on social welfare programs and struggling to make the ends meet BECAUSE their GPA was in that 2.9 range.

The chances of dropping out from school or not focusing on academic excellence, and becoming a millionaire are VERY, VERY, VERY, slim.
And the rate of failure is VERY, VERY, VERY high when one is a “pedestrian student”.

And the chances of having a successful life with a reasonably good income are a lot better, when you take the conventional way, which is, work hard, do good in school and become a well qualified professional in your field of academics interest.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:07 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
Book smarts don't always translate to the real world. How many tech guys dropped out of college to start ventures. Not sure point you are trying to make.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
In earlier times at Universities like Harvard....many "white people" came from wealthy families, they were members of the various "Jock" programs and that inferred status...along with Family Name and Family Money. They did not like the Jewish Students, because the Jewish were more focused on Academia... they were not prominent in the Sporting Programs that many white men, used as a spring board and notoriety...

Even today, it's often referred to as to what Sport graduates participated.... not so much what their GPA was or is. Even in people who went on to use the family name, university titles, sport program they participated and what organization of Fraternity they belonged to.... not so much about whether they were a good academic student.

We saw it even made into Movies, with their "letter'ed sweaters", their "football jackets' and their Polo outfits, or their Tennis attire, and other sport program... attire associated with the status of being involved in Sports programs.
Yea the Ivy league has always been traditional sport powerhouses. Why back in the day they'd have a ton of recruiting scandals centering around the enrollment of badminton players and people who can row a boat.

The size of the Harvards freshman Jewish student body
1900 7%
1909 10%
1915 15%
1922 21.5%
1925 27.6%

Are you able to make a post that doesn't sound like an 8 year old wrote it?

Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It’s funny how around here, we get all this talk about IQ and who does or doesn’t deserve admission into this or that elite university. Turns out that the most successful people (if success is largely determined by money) were fairly pedestrian students. Not dumb, but not academic superstars by a long shot on average.

This 2017 article that first appeared on Business Insider, and it’s not long at all. It lists a few of the reasons why average students are more likely to end up at the top as opposed to the high academic achievers.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/amphtml/295095
lol You're the only one here making it about IQ.

btw You don't get to speak for those of us with high IQs, we speak for ourselves. <<< see what I did there.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 01-18-2019 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies