Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:05 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm waiting for the OP to point out that anyone making over $32,400 is in the global 1%...

It is funny when people make some kind of moral argument for wealth redistribution, but when you apply it globally and they're suddenly the evil rich, they switch to "well we're just talking about this country".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
When they use it to buy congress...

This country steadfastly refuses to differentiate the rich who create from the rich who destroy. Someone explain to me why a generic hedge fund manager deserves a lower tax rate. Someone explain why a parasite like Eddie Lampert gets to wreck things for his own gain then gets a preferential tax rate.
Yep.
If they get wealth through buying politicians or destructive means like cannibalizing the economy or selling out to another country they do not deserve it.

I dont think anyone should get their money though since they did not earn it either.
Just destroy the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 05:07 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Dead people don’t have rights.
sure they do, it's called a will.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:10 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think this question is far too simplistic and deliberately provocative.
This x 1000. There's a reason you're mostly seeing right-wing curmudgeons posting here. Conservatives are triggered by the thread title so they're posting, while the starting point is a little too ridiculous and lacking in substance for a liberal to have any real comment on. Because while we believe in taxes and wealth redistribution to an extent, no one believes in such a broad, overly inclusive statement.

It's like in settlement negotiations, and one side starts with a demand that's absurdly high. There's no point coming up with a counteroffer, you tell them come back when you want to get serious.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
When they use it to buy congress...

This country steadfastly refuses to differentiate the rich who create from the rich who destroy. Someone explain to me why a generic hedge fund manager deserves a lower tax rate. Someone explain why a parasite like Eddie Lampert gets to wreck things for his own gain then gets a preferential tax rate.
A lower tax rate than who? The middle class pays an average effective federal income tax rate of only 7%. The capital gains tax rate is 20%. 20 is greater than 7. What am I missing?

Additionally, if the hedge fund manager doesn't produce results for his/her clients, which include pension funds both public and private, they lose their jobs and their income. So, contrary to the opinion of those who choose to remain ignorant, there actually is work involved in being a hedge fund manager.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:12 AM

21,928 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most rich people don't earn their wealth honestly. Particularly billionaires. People like the CEO of sears are vultures who make the world worse for everyone but themselves. People who make millions or billions while paying their employees who make their business possible peanuts for wages also don't deserve their wealth. It's not envy for someone to expect to be compensated with enough money to live off of when they work full time yet the wealthy are the worst whiners there are, never happy with having everything they want.
Prove it!

Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 AM

Poor people 'deserve' things. People who have money only buy if they can afford it.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I remember watching the Occupy Wall Street protests and all the college age people with iPhones, pads, dressed nicely ranting and raving at Wall Street and demanding free stuff. Going thru some tough times myself at the time I wondered how they would have felt if i walked up to them and took their expensive electronics from them. Which I myself could not afford. The people i've seen most rant about this type of thinking are usually people who have already been born entitled. This type of crowd thinks "rich others" should give up what they have, and lack the self-awareness that compared to most of humanity they themselves are the privileged and would scream about the unfairness of it all if someone took what they had away to give to someone with less.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm waiting for the OP to point out that anyone making over $32,400 is in the global 1%...

It is funny when people make some kind of moral argument for wealth redistribution, but when you apply it globally and they're suddenly the evil rich, they switch to "well we're just talking about this country".
I was talking to my husband's SJW nephew one time. He thought 1 percenters make over $3m a year.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What makes anyone "deserving" of it. Sick of folks thinking they "deserve" anything just because their parent was successful. Bunch of moochs should have to work for success like everyone else.

Id rather see it help pay for government then for the lazy genetic lottery winners mooch off of it.
It has nothing to do with deserving anything, it is their money. Why the hell do you think that you should have a voice in what they do with it?

Let me ask you this: The US currently holds approximately 25% of the world's wealth. Do you advocate a world body of nations confiscating all that wealth and redistributing it across the planet? Are you ready to live in a thatched hut burning cow dung to keep your family warm at night?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Poor people have too much welfare, give the money spend on them to the rich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies