Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, are you ok with same-sex marriage?
Yes 66 54.10%
No 29 23.77%
I don’t care 30 24.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:56 AM

4,541 posts, read 2,757,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
My family has long been supportive of both conservative and Republican-aligned causes while also supporting efforts to give legal recognition to same-sex partnerships. Same-sex marriage was at one time widely opposed by most people on both the left and right. It was a minority position that found support from segments of both sides of the political spectrum.

Exactly. I have no idea what that fellow is referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 01:19 AM

30,561 posts, read 21,730,649 times
Im an ex dem, voted for Bill both times and now Im a Trump voter because he's not Obama/Hillary. Marriage, Civil unions, or Church marriage between gay people or adults of any back ground is fine with me. Its not like we live in an Islamic country.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:53 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,539,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the one issue I'm moderate on. In my personal life I'm against gay marriage and would not allow my children to become gay. Homosexuality goes against my religion. Just like how Christianity is the only religion allowed in my home, but I won't discriminate against or mistreat others who are non Christian or gay.

HOWEVER from a governmental standpoint I'm okay with it because a government marriage license is separate from a religiously valid marriage. I only care that the rights of Christians be protected. As long as Christians' religious rights are protected I"m okay with the government recognizing gay marriage I think that's a good compromise.
That's not how it works.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,802,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the one issue I'm moderate on. In my personal life I'm against gay marriage and would not allow my children to become gay. Homosexuality goes against my religion. Just like how Christianity is the only religion allowed in my home, but I won't discriminate against or mistreat others who are non Christian or gay.

HOWEVER from a governmental standpoint I'm okay with it because a government marriage license is separate from a religiously valid marriage. I only care that the rights of Christians be protected. As long as Christians' religious rights are protected I"m okay with the government recognizing gay marriage I think that's a good compromise.
This is pretty much me. Churches and religious institutions should have the right to not recognize a same sex marriage if it goes against their beliefs.

A lot of people also don’t want to admit that they would rather have their kids be straight than gay. I even know some people who identify as socially liberal but struggled when it was their own child who “came out.”

Old 01-18-2019, 03:06 AM

18,396 posts, read 7,009,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL

How I feel about it is irrelevant.

Because there's nothing in the Constitution that gives government the right to regulate marriage at all.

Getting married is a natural right, not subject to the whims and approval of others.

So if we as a country hadn't ceded that power to the government, gays wouldn't have to fight for a "right" to get married.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I am Ok with a civil union, I think a formal marriage ceremony is between a man and woman.

But I also don't think that anyone should have less rights because of who they choose to love.

I don't think that marriage is something that should be decided at the Federal level, it should be at the State level.

So having said that I guess I would have to be OK with same-sex marriage.

Why should any government, federal or state, have any say in who you can or cannot marry?

Old 01-18-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Gotta give all the credit here to the liberals that actually fought for gay marriage. Nice to see conservatives jumping on the bandwagon now, but I find it ironic that they were so opposed 10-15 years ago.

I was less open to the idea of gay marriage when I was younger and more Liberal.

It wasn't until I got older and embraced the concept of individual Liberty that I became more open minded.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:15 AM

16,948 posts, read 12,496,577 times
I was when it was not the cool thing.

On a different basis tho.

It is not the job of the government to decide who you love as long as they are a sane willing adult human.

I am not going to tell you what makes you happy nor will I object unless you violate either sane adult willing or human.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,645,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why should any government, federal or state, have any say in who you can or cannot marry?
Because of the reason government was and is involved in marriage in the first place.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:33 AM

11,567 posts, read 5,622,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL
You listen too much to fake news that makes every Trump supporter either an Evangelical or trailer park trash. Most of us are middle class Americans that have friends of every nationality and every sexual persuasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies