Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, are you ok with same-sex marriage?
Yes 66 54.10%
No 29 23.77%
I don’t care 30 24.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times

Advertisements

I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:52 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL

I am Ok with a civil union, I think a formal marriage ceremony is between a man and woman.

But I also don't think that anyone should have less rights because of who they choose to love.

I don't think that marriage is something that should be decided at the Federal level, it should be at the State level.

So having said that I guess I would have to be OK with same-sex marriage.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:57 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I did not vote in the poll. I was an enthusiastic supporter of same-sex marriage and all of my diehard Republican family were as well. My family and I are also very supportive of abortion rights and other causes typically regarded as "progressive" or "liberal." I did not vote for Trump, and that is why I did not vote in the poll. However, I will likely vote for his re-election. Let me know if you think that I should vote in the poll.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Gotta give all the credit here to the liberals that actually fought for gay marriage. Nice to see conservatives jumping on the bandwagon now, but I find it ironic that they were so opposed 10-15 years ago.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:12 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Gotta give all the credit here to the liberals that actually fought for gay marriage. Nice to see conservatives jumping on the bandwagon now, but I find it ironic that they were so opposed 10-15 years ago.
My family has long been supportive of both conservative and Republican-aligned causes while also supporting efforts to give legal recognition to same-sex partnerships. Same-sex marriage was at one time widely opposed by most people on both the left and right. It was a minority position that found support from segments of both sides of the political spectrum.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-19-2019 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post

Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
What you do in your personal life is none of my business, as mine is none of yours.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
You all are so cool! I like when Republicans are accepting to everyone. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
This is the one issue I'm moderate on. In my personal life I'm against gay marriage and would not allow my children to become gay. Homosexuality goes against my religion. Just like how Christianity is the only religion allowed in my home, but I won't discriminate against or mistreat others who are non Christian or gay.

HOWEVER from a governmental standpoint I'm okay with it because a government marriage license is separate from a religiously valid marriage. I only care that the rights of Christians be protected. As long as Christians' religious rights are protected I"m okay with the government recognizing gay marriage I think that's a good compromise.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 AM

528 posts, read 227,245 times
Of course. It's not killing a baby.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:53 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the one issue I'm moderate on. In my personal life I'm against gay marriage and would not allow my children to become gay. Homosexuality goes against my religion. Just like how Christianity is the only religion allowed in my home, but I won't discriminate against or mistreat others who are non Christian or gay.

HOWEVER from a governmental standpoint I'm okay with it because a government marriage license is separate from a religiously valid marriage. I only care that the rights of Christians be protected. As long as Christians' religious rights are protected I"m okay with the government recognizing gay marriage I think that's a good compromise.
Surely, there's the possibility that your children may choose not to be Christian by the time they discover they are gay. Which may be well after they leave your home.

HOWEVER, I am totally in agreement with your views around how the government treats marriages, and that rights of religions are protected as long as they don't override constitutional rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies