Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 04:15 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I agree, better to have a homophobic ultraconservative in office than a mentally unstable, corrupt grifter. (Man ain't it a terrible choice though?)
Yes, but don't let Pence off the hook as he is complicate the the corruption.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:17 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yes, but don't let Pence off the hook as he is complicate the the corruption.
^Highly possible. This is why we might end up with President Pelosi.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Once again, the usual suspects here appear to be.....wrong!

What a joke! Trump, after walking out of talks, now wants to "reopen" them, but interjects a couple times that the "radical left" is the problem.

Hint #1 for Donnie - who must be the worst negotiator on the planet. When you want someone to talk to you, tamp down your insults to a low roar. Say things like "I know they want the best for our country it's just that we see different solutions to this. Let's see if we can solve this".

Or something like that. But I am putting words in his mouth that his brain in incapable of producing.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Having lived in Tucson of 7 years and having been down along the border many times doing my part helping smuggle drugs, guns, and people, including terrorists, across that imaginary line , I would guess 80-85% of the California, Arizona and New Mexico's border with Mexico already has some sort of fence or wall or vehicle barrier, I'm assuming this new 230 miles must be in Texas?
And Texas is the state that won't do E-Verify. I guess employers there are smart enough to know they can import by plane, train, car, truck, boat and other means....

Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
In all honesty -- completely forgot about the big old announcement -- off to Google to see what happened.

I hope you were all as lucky as I was and so busy enjoying a beautiful day that you weren't waiting on the edge of your seat for the big ole announcement.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In all honesty -- completely forgot about the big old announcement -- off to Google to see what happened.

I hope you were all as lucky as I was and so busy enjoying a beautiful day that you weren't waiting on the edge of your seat for the big ole announcement.
I slept and took a walk.

A two-fer.

Not at 3 and no martial law. Lose-lose.

Believe me, I wouldn't even watch highlights or reruns of a SOTU. Anyone who ever waited around for Donnie to say something decent or true is still waiting.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
And visa overstay reform.
And penalties to businesses caught hiring illegals.....

Define overstay "reform". I'm always wary when people use the "reform" word because it is usually code for "give me what I want".

My thoughts are to require a significant cash bond for student and worker visas, stricter requirements for visa holders to report in at frequent intervals, requirements to provide proof of exit travel some period of time before expiration, and then promptly go get them if expiration date comes and no record of exit.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:26 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Once again, the usual suspects here appear to be.....wrong!

What a joke! Trump, after walking out of talks, now wants to "reopen" them, but interjects a couple times that the "radical left" is the problem.

Hint #1 for Donnie - who must be the worst negotiator on the planet. When you want someone to talk to you, tamp down your insults to a low roar. Say things like "I know they want the best for our country it's just that we see different solutions to this. Let's see if we can solve this".

Or something like that. But I am putting words in his mouth that his brain in incapable of producing.
I absolutely agree. I mean, a 5-year-old could get this concept, no?

“Mom, you radical dictator, give me a cookie!”

Old 01-19-2019, 04:27 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And Texas is the state that won't do E-Verify. I guess employers there are smart enough to know they can import by plane, train, car, truck, boat and other means....
You *are* aware that neither California nor New York mandate E-Verify as well, yes?

Old 01-19-2019, 04:28 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems backwards to me.

Eliminate incentives for illegal immigration.

Impose harsh consequences on employers/ households who employ undocumented workers.

Create incentive to self deport. Complimentary and safe trip home. $ to start over. Ability to apply your for legal immigration from home country. Would be substantially cheaper and quicker than attempting to round up 11-20 million ( dependent on who is counting) illegal immigrants, Due Process, Jails, and appeals.
No, securing the border does come first.

I recall when Reagan gave an amnesty in 1986. It came with a promise of a secure border. It has yet to be done.

Not to thrilled with the idea if giving illegals money for their illegal behavior. Also need get rid of some of that due process, jails, and appeals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies