U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 PM

3,358 posts, read 2,296,391 times

Advertisements

I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, especially when it comes to the down-trodden. I am in favor of all confiscated guns being donated to the poor and the disadvantaged so they can protect themselves, which seems consistent with the purpose of the Amendment as is reminded to us over and over here on C-D. In fact, there is no prohibition in the 2nd Amendment for immigrants to own a gun (it says "people" not citizens), so I am in favor of that too.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:47 PM

1,516 posts, read 244,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, especially when it comes to the down-trodden. I am in favor of all confiscated guns being donated to the poor and the disadvantaged so they can protect themselves, which seems consistent with the purpose of the Amendment as is reminded to us over and over here on C-D. In fact, there is no prohibition in the 2nd Amendment for immigrants to own a gun (it says "people" not citizens), so I am in favor of that too.
Immigrants can already buy guns in the USA. I think you mean illegal immigrants. Which if they can get DL, can also probably buy guns legally.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 PM

17,490 posts, read 9,038,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Immigrants can already buy guns in the USA. I think you mean illegal immigrants. Which if they can get DL, can also probably buy guns legally.
GCA of 1968 specifically prohibits any illegal aliens from obtaining firearms.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 01-19-2019 at 10:15 PM..

Old 01-19-2019, 10:13 PM

25,932 posts, read 16,806,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
GCA of 1963 specifically prohibits any illegal aliens from obtaining firearms.
I believe you mean 1968. And yes, you are correct-criminal aliens can not legally purchase firearms.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 PM

17,490 posts, read 9,038,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I believe you mean 1968. And yes, you are correct-criminal aliens can not legally purchase firearms.
Thanks.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 PM

20,281 posts, read 8,364,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Do you believe that still matters? The same people that are attacking the rights protected by the 2nd amendment want the first suppressed as well. Look at history-it's been the first step of any totalitarian society in the last century at least. Suppress free speech. Control the press. Disarm the populace. Attack and demonize those that refuse to submit. Far too many of today's left are no different than Hitler's "brownshirts", or the communist uprisings of Russia or China.
Suppress free speech, control the press, attack and demonize those who refuse to submit....You do realize you are talking about Trump

Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 3,906,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Suppress free speech, control the press, attack and demonize those who refuse to submit....You do realize you are talking about Trump
You're both discussing your opposition. Applies to Repubs/Conservatives and Democrats/Libs.

Both want to control the narrative, demonize their opponents, suppress counter opinions to theirs.

Welcome to 2019 US politics.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:35 AM

16,263 posts, read 13,549,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Make sure that you watch the excellent video

https://selfreliancecentral.com/2018...PMTANDEMKROSS2
What arms does 5he 2nd amendment limit in terms of private ownership?

Old 01-20-2019, 05:42 AM

17,352 posts, read 11,653,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is easy. We wouldn't have the First Amendment without the Second.

Of course the Founding Fathers could have never foreseen guns that can fire a hundred rounds per minute in the hands of the average citizen but then again they could have never foreseen the internet where some bozo can hide behind his keyboard and spread hate around the world in minutes.

It is irrelevant whether the founding fathers could envision machine guns, tanks, grenades, ect...........

The idea was to put the citizens on par with the current military technology, such that in the event the elected government became tyrannical, the citizens of the nation could defeat the government by force of arms.

So when leftists say things like "No one could have envisioned (take your pick of a given weapon), it does not matter at all. The point is to have well armed citizens that can overthrow a government that seeks to repress, rather than represent, the citizens of the nation.

I think the founding fathers would thus find it odd that citizens are restricted from machine guns, tanks, ect, as restrictions on ownership of these weapons put the citizens at a tremendous disadvantage relative to the government. Thus when liberals decry the ownership of semi-auto weapons as "something the founders could not have envisioned", keep in mind that the Constitution was written to be a flexible document that could withstand the test of time and the whole concept of the 2nd Amendment was never meant to be static for the technology of that time.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 AM

8,008 posts, read 5,837,265 times
Anyone who has read my posts knows that the last thing I am is a leftist, liberal, call it what you may.

But I truly am amused to, again and again, watch "conservatives" (and even a few liberals) gather in a thread like this to echo each other in support of a 2nd amendment essential benefit that doesn't exist and never has - in modern times. That of an individual's firearms successfully holding off government encroachment/tyranny.

The 2nd amendment, which turned from a benefit to a liability in our culture at least 100 years ago, is the hard-right's "climate change". It is equally a religion, and equally a farce.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 01-20-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies