Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interestingly, there was a 1965 political thriller, by Fletcher Knebel, The Night of Camp David, which is now being re-issued. The headline on the new ad is:

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. WENT STARK-RAVING MAD?

I guess the publisher must feel it's suddenly relevant again, eh?

I haven't read it, but now I'm curious. Have any of you read it?

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/607841/night-of-camp-david-by-fletcher-knebel/9780525567103/
I read the reader description. President engaging in conspiracy theories, ranting about his enemies, part of a plan to (to use modern term) MAGA.

Talk about life imitating art!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Interestingly, there was a 1965 political thriller, by Fletcher Knebel, The Night of Camp David, which is now being re-issued. The headline on the new ad is:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/607841/night-of-camp-david-by-fletcher-knebel/9780525567103/

Woodrow Wilson was essentially unable to communicate or carry out his duties for the last two years of his presidency following a stroke. His wife basically took over his duties and no one was the wiser.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:28 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:

exactly what is happening now.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And obama never had scandal.....
His predecessor wasn't exactly squeaky clean either. Scooter Libby, Karl Rove, Haliburton, Gitmo, Valerie Plame affair, starting a war under false pretenses despite our closest allies in Europe and Hans Blix's inspections pre-war?

Could we really use a man like George W. Bush again?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:01 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
That was not the question that was presented to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
His predecessor wasn't exactly squeaky clean either. Scooter Libby, Karl Rove, Haliburton, Gitmo, Valerie Plame affair, starting a war under false pretenses despite our closest allies in Europe and Hans Blix's inspections pre-war?

Could we really use a man like George W. Bush again?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:03 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Quote:

This president has been pushed like no other........no president in history have been ABUSED more than he, and I wonder how long will it take for him to be pushed to the brink of no END......and all he is trying to do is make our country stronger, before it collapses on the hands of the other group....!!!!!

Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Being black and not cowtowing to the religious right doesn't count. Try agian.
Being the most prolific war lord with drone strikes makes him a little nuts. Trump on the other hand has ordered almost no military action against anyone. Who is nuts?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I think that we have various constitutional remedies for a number of possible presidential succession problems such as incapacitation or criminal behavior of different kinds. But is there a remedy that would resolve an intentional or deranged absense without notice. If the president went on an unannounced AWOL...just disappeared without a resignation or expression of intent, there would have to be some declaration or common recognition that the presidency was vacated. Who would decide? How would we be sure the president was not kidnapped or held hostage? Would partisan politics delay or influence the replacement or succession process or timing? In state governments, the Lieutenant Governor can sign bills to approve legislation as the acting Governor in the absence of the elected Governor. Vice Presidents preside over the Senate so are effectively in two separate branches of government and can’t sign bills into law, we need a president for that. If Trump, or any president, flees to Bahrain or Russia on the sly, either to escape formal impeachment or due to mental defect and instability, they are still president until somebody decides otherwise. The 25th Amendment assumes rational behavior on everyone’s part but that might not happen.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
OP, doesn’t think that Trump isn’t mad?? How could one think otherwise? Have you not heard the idiot speak??

Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think that we have various constitutional remedies for a number of possible presidential succession problems such as incapacitation or criminal behavior of different kinds. But is there a remedy that would resolve an intentional or deranged absense without notice. If the president went on an unannounced AWOL...just disappeared without a resignation or expression of intent, there would have to be some declaration or common recognition that the presidency was vacated. Who would decide? How would we be sure the president was not kidnapped or held hostage? Would partisan politics delay or influence the replacement or succession process or timing? In state governments, the Lieutenant Governor can sign bills to approve legislation as the acting Governor in the absence of the elected Governor. Vice Presidents preside over the Senate so are effectively in two separate branches of government and can’t sign bills into law, we need a president for that. If Trump, or any president, flees to Bahrain or Russia on the sly, either to escape formal impeachment or due to mental defect and instability, they are still president until somebody decides otherwise. The 25th Amendment assumes rational behavior on everyone’s part but that might not happen.
I don't think there is any remedy. Remember, as you seem to be getting at, the Founders assumed people were rational. They also assumed they were moral and ethical...at least to a degree and when they had common interests.

Jimmy Carter disappeared for a couple days at Camp David, but he was in touch and a doctor was sent to check on him (he was running a number of miles, so deemed OK).....

I don't think there is any way of addressing this except asking the American public not to elect people like Trump. Play with fire and you are going to get burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies