Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times

Advertisements

Do left wing urban areas have a problem? Terrible schools, fatherless homes, crime, blight. Without a doubt the answer is yes.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Whatever problems Covington has pale in comparison to the rampant crime, death and destruction in Democrat-run urban hellholes like Baltimore (where I live).

Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Yes, these suburbs have the problem of well performing schools with high graduation rates and low rates of crime.
Wow, didn't know Kentucky was known for such things.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Do left wing urban areas have a problem? Terrible schools, fatherless homes, crime, blight. Without a doubt the answer is yes.

I'm guessing that if you ask anyone on one of those places, would they prefer to live in Covington, the answer would be 100% yes. It speaks for itself.

USA Today sure likes to yank the chains of the leftists.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
If you watch the short videos that have been posted it would be easy to think that these kids were at fault but the reality is that they were the only well behaved ones there. These black israelites or whatever they call themselves were spewing hate, using the n word, calling a black kid from CovCath “Koonye” referring to the CovCath kids as inbreds and school shooters. At no time did the CovCath kids engage in racist name calling or chant “build the wall” and it was the Indians that went out of their way to get in the kids faces. Towards the end of the video when the cops showed up the black israelites suddenly remembered their manners. This is a long video with a lot of offensive language but it clearly shows that the CovCath kids were not involved in any wrongdoing.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
USA Today is placing some appropriate responsibility on the Black Israelite group for instigating this encounter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ht/2635085002/

Their coverage contends that the leader of the BI group was speaking without a microphone, and began berating the Covington kids by calling them "crackers" first. Then Trump insults followed.

Once those two groups began arguing, Phillips (the Native American) walked over and inserted himself into the middle of the group of Covington kids and began beating his drum in the face of one of them.

Phillip's comments in the article are certainly not very flattering to him, as he is quoted as calling the two groups "Beast" and "Prey", and called the Covington boys the "beasts" and claimed the elderly blacks were the "prey". He certainly felt that the boys were the instigators, yet the actual footage is not really reflective of that, and he is not commenting on the comments that the BI group made to the boys.

This is why it's a moot point for the rest of America to get involved in situations like this. We weren't there, we really don't know what happened, and it's all so entirely insignificant anyway that honestly, we ought to feel a bit of shame for getting so emotionally involved in such a petty dispute. I know I am. I've used all my words up on the topic.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I feel it's a little dishonest to see the new expanded footage and not pause just a bit at the updated reality of the situation.

Regardless of how one may feel about a bunch of white boys in MAGA hats, this appears to be a situation IMO of emotionally charged people of all walks of life coverging in one bad moment. You have black youths shouting racial insults, white boys offering annoying smug faces, and an old Indian man trying to kumbaya the tension away by playing the drums. None of us were there. We do not know any more than what we collectively see.

This is what happens when multiple people attend multiple public events all piled on top of one another. Especially demostrations. People are fired up, they're full of energy, and they fight. I've never attended a demonstration that was much different.

The reason question is why do we care so much about isolated incidents as this? They don't provide a clear picture of the human race. They're nothing but snippets of time in which small groups of people had confrontations over differences. They are not indicative of society as a whole. Camera phones have turned us all into rabid dogs over these soundbytes and momentary snatches of time. We all need to collectively stop this groupthink pile-on crap. The bad behavior of a few is nothing more than the bad behavior of the few.
excellent points

Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The kid’s mother laid the blame on “black Muslims.” Where do you suppose she got the information to make that determination?

She wasn’t there, remember.

Was she projecting her own personal boogeyman or was her son reflecting it back to her?
No, she watched the full video.

I suggest you do the same before commenting further.

It's referenced multiple times in this thread.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:30 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
USA Today is placing some appropriate responsibility on the Black Israelite group for instigating this encounter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ht/2635085002/

Their coverage contends that the leader of the BI group was speaking without a microphone, and began berating the Covington kids by calling them "crackers" first. Then Trump insults followed.

Once those two groups began arguing, Phillips (the Native American) walked over and inserted himself into the middle of the group of Covington kids and began beating his drum in the face of one of them.

Phillip's comments in the article are certainly not very flattering to him, as he is quoted as calling the two groups "Beast" and "Prey", and called the Covington boys the "beasts" and claimed the elderly blacks were the "prey". He certainly felt that the boys were the instigators, yet the actual footage is not really reflective of that, and he is not commenting on the comments that the BI group made to the boys.

This is why it's a moot point for the rest of America to get involved in situations like this. We weren't there, we really don't know what happened, and it's all so entirely insignificant anyway that honestly, we ought to feel a bit of shame for getting so emotionally involved in such a petty dispute. I know I am. I've used all my words up on the topic.

New "Pro Tip" for Gandhi wannabes: If you want to defuse a tense situation, grab a drum and beat it within inches of your antagonist's face!

(Video evidence shows that Phillips has lied about this incident... repeatedly)

Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
National Review has deleted their original article on the event. NY Times has also backed off of their original story as well.

What a difference a day makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies