Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:28 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I agree w/ this. The wall is just a political stunt basically. Other ways to ensure that illegals don't get in--more border patrols, high tech surveillance. other things. I don't mind some barriers here and there if they're hot zones of illegal border crossing. And, what about overstayed VISA's?
But, our infrastructure will not stand up to too much more.

Was it a political stunt back in 2006 when the actual wall bill was passed with both Schumer and Obama's signature on it? No, more border patrol costs more money than the wall and they need the protection of a wall and to be able to do their jobs more effectively. We tried high tech stuff years ago and it failed so it was scrapped. The proposed wall/barrier IS for only those areas where they are hot zones for illegal entry, duh. It's for the same 700 miles that congress approved of above but wasn't completed.

What about visa over stayers? It has nothing to do with a wall to deter ILLEGAL entry. That problem will just have to be dealt with in a different way. Why do you and yours keep deflecting with the visa over stayers? We need to deal with all of the problems in this country including illegal immigration and our infrastructures falling apart not just ignore one problem for the other.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Old 01-24-2019, 07:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Was it a political stunt back in 2006 when the actual wall bill was passed with both Schumer and Obama's signature on it? No, more border patrol costs more money than the wall and they need the protection of a wall and to be able to do their jobs more effectively. We tried high tech stuff years ago and it failed so it was scrapped. The proposed wall/barrier IS for only those areas where they are hot zones for illegal entry, duh. It's for the same 700 miles that congress approved of above but wasn't completed.

What about visa over stayers? It has nothing to do with a wall to deter ILLEGAL entry. That problem will just have to be dealt with in a different way. Why do you and yours keep deflecting with the visa over stayers? We need to deal with all of the problems in this country including illegal immigration and our infrastructures falling apart not just ignore one problem for the other.

In case you haven't noticed, we don't have the money to throw carelessly away on every false promise and thereafter temper tantrum Trump has. We are already in severe debt, severe, and all your party can do is give tax breaks to the rich and promise a big great wall that Mexico will pay for. News flash, Mexico won't ever pay for it and the US taxpayers don't want to come to the rescue of Trump's empty promises.
I'm a moderate Democrat, not a Pelosi puppet either. I don't follow a leader like the Trumper's do.The wall is just plain nonsense. Now, Trump is essentially having to eat his own wall every day.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
500+ bridges closed in Mississippi. They don't have the money to fix them all. It forces people to take long detours to work, see doctors, shop, etc.

It's too bad Trump can't put as much energy into helping getting these bridges fixed or replaced as he does for his Wall. Those Mississippi bridges have no political value and it doesn't boost his ego. That's why he doesn't care, and his base doesn't care either.

And the Democrats and their base don't care about our national security either. See how that works? Without national security our infrastructures won't matter anyway.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 AM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, we don't have the money to throw carelessly away on every false promise and thereafter temper tantrum Trump has. We are already in severe debt, severe, and all your party can do is give tax breaks to the rich and promise a big great wall that Mexico will pay for. News flash, Mexico won't ever pay for it and the US taxpayers don't want to come to the rescue of Trump's empty promises.
I'm a moderate Democrat, not a Pelosi puppet either. I don't follow a leader like the Trumper's do.The wall is just plain nonsense. Now, Trump is essentially having to eat his own wall every day.
$5 billion is an accounting error for the US budget. The interest alone is 100s of billions of dollars. And the shutdown has (or will) cost US taxpayer more than $5 billion. If money was your only consideration, you would just give him $5 billion. Hell, it would have saved you money looking at this.

But this is not about money, this about you not wanting Trump or his 40% electorate to get their way. So another 40% of the country refuse to cooperate and America slumps in the progress. The remaining 10-20% don't care strongly either way.

Even if you win, and you may not win - you will only have that 40% be obstinate down the road and cause another shut down just to spite you. Your path eventually leads to civil war.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And the Democrats and their base don't care about our national security either. See how that works? Without national security our infrastructures won't matter anyway.
The Democrats have apparently proposed roughly $5 billion in funding for border security that not only will work better than a wall, but can be implemented now (as opposed to a wall that will be built some time in the 2030s) without forcibly taking private property from US citizens. Don't try to sell sentient people on your hyperbolic nonsense and lies because we're not buying.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
The Democrats have apparently proposed roughly $5 billion in funding for border security that not only will work better than a wall, but can be implemented now (as opposed to a wall that will be built some time in the 2030s) without forcibly taking private property from US citizens. Don't try to sell sentient people on your hyperbolic nonsense and lies because we're not buying.
trump has repeatedly said it doesn't have to be a hard wall, like the Great Wall of China, he has said to continue the enhanced fence that already covers over 500 miles of border.

and while many democrats like Clyburn are for border security, others like AOC are for open borders and eliminating ICE

Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
trump has repeatedly said it doesn't have to be a hard wall, like the Great Wall of China, he has said to continue the enhanced fence that already covers over 500 miles of border.
Completely untrue. Trump has said it is definitely not a fence and has to be a hard wall. The choices he expressly given are between a wall made out of "steel" and "concrete". Those are not enhanced fences they are "hard walls. Lindsey Graham gave him an out 3 weeks ago by arguing that Trump really meant an enhanced fence and virtual wall and Trump rebuked him, disavowing that is what he meant.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The American Society of Civil Engineers has given American infrastructure an overall grade of D+. Our roads, bridges, dams, airports, drinking water, energy grid, waterways and levees all are in desperate shape.

https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

This is where we should be concentrating the billions of dollars the president wants to waste on a wall.
I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a plea to give more Federal billions to the California Highspeed rail project that costs 10....no wait 20....ooops 40.....um now 50....my bad it's up to 70 but probably won't go over 100billion to complete.

I don't say that because I feel the wall will be effective but rather to point out the hilarity of 5 billion in our big pork fueled land of government spending and how people don't really get upset about 5 billion unless told to. (That comment applies to both parties)

Old 01-24-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Border security isn't throwing money away and is necessary. Illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year but that's not throwing money away? Where's your concern about that?

I posted Trump's plan to make Mexico pay for the wall but that isn't going to happen over night and it won't be willingly. As I asked, were you as concerned about the taxpayer having to fully fund the wall back in 2006 when the actual wall bill was passed? It had both Schumer and Obama's signature on it. Hypocricy rules with you people.

How is the wall just plain nonsense when where the good walls/barriers are in place they have been very effective in deterring illegal entry? It's only to be for the most porous areas of the border not the entire border. Even the Border Patrol has said the good walls work but you know better than them?

Old 01-24-2019, 11:52 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be a plea to give more Federal billions to the California Highspeed rail project that costs 10....no wait 20....ooops 40.....um now 50....my bad it's up to 70 but probably won't go over 100billion to complete.

I don't say that because I feel the wall will be effective but rather to point out the hilarity of 5 billion in our big pork fueled land of government spending and how people don't really get upset about 5 billion unless told to. (That comment applies to both parties)
The point is we're expending all this energy focusing on a manufactured crisis of building a wall that the majority of people don't want--and it will end up costing a hell of a lot more than $5 billion, to say nothing of the exorbitant cost of maintaining in the future--while totally ignoring the very real crisis of our crumbling infrastructure. Our resources would be much better put towards that than appeasing the toddler in the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies