Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 11:53 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,064,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You could make the penalty being publicly hang, drawn, and quartered in the Town Square, but it won't stop people because they don't think they'll ever be caught.

And they're mostly right. Without some seriously gestapo programs and policies, there's really no way to catch people doing this.
Well, gee, then we shouldn't have any laws at all, because there will always be some people who will break them. But if there were real penalties, like jail time, and a few examples are made, most smart people will decide the risk isn't worth it. And it will cost virtually nothing to implement.

And then we can take that $5 million and put it where it's really needed, on our crumbling infrastructure. Hopefully before another bridge collapses and kills people.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:20 PM

62,846 posts, read 29,085,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
There is no way to stop people from paying illegals cash under the table to mow their lawns. Enough work will always be available for them

Not only that but unless we stopped giving their kids our birthright citizenship by PC policy only they can live off the benefits they'd get through them. Not all illegals are coming here to work either.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,251,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The American Society of Civil Engineers has given American infrastructure an overall grade of D+. Our roads, bridges, dams, airports, drinking water, energy grid, waterways and levees all are in desperate shape.

https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

This is where we should be concentrating the billions of dollars the president wants to waste on a wall.
So you guys have your own version of whataboutism too.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,064,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So you guys have your own version of whataboutism too.
It's not whataboutism to prefer we spend our money fixing our crumbling infrastructure instead of squandering billions of dollars on a wall. It's common sense. Our infrastructure is so bad it's been given a grade of D+. How is that acceptable?

Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM

4,875 posts, read 4,196,881 times
Meh...the ASCE has given our infrastructure a failing grade for over twenty years (certainly since I've been in the field).

This isn't a new need or even a valid argument anymore, IMO.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,727,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
When you can actually prove that that $100 billion number you keep tossing around is even near accurate maybe you might have an argument. So far that number is based on a bunch of dubious speculation pulled out of the butt of a right wing anti-immigration group.
While sources and #'s vary wildly, (Google is at everyone's fingertips) the numbers I'm finding range from $113-$116 billion annually. $18.5 billion of that is purported to be for illegals receiving Medicaid.
I am not in any way anti-immigration. Most of my family immigrated decades ago, but they did it legally, paid the fees, took the tests, learned good English, and have been contributors to the system. I am anti drug smuggling, anti-illegal, anti-crime, and anti-handout. I'm all for doing a "sorting" of the illegals already here, offering a path to a green card and citizenship for those wanting to work and contribute to our country, and getting those that are criminals and those that sit on handout programs off the taxpayers backs.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM

62,846 posts, read 29,085,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
While sources and #'s vary wildly, (Google is at everyone's fingertips) the numbers I'm finding range from $113-$116 billion annually. $18.5 billion of that is purported to be for illegals receiving Medicaid.
I am not in any way anti-immigration. Most of my family immigrated decades ago, but they did it legally, paid the fees, took the tests, learned good English, and have been contributors to the system. I am anti drug smuggling, anti-illegal, anti-crime, and anti-handout. I'm all for doing a "sorting" of the illegals already here, offering a path to a green card and citizenship for those wanting to work and contribute to our country, and getting those that are criminals and those that sit on handout programs off the taxpayers backs.

Here's where we disagree. Which among them have not commit felony ID theft or tax evasion to work? Yet you want to offer them a path to citizenship? Americans need their jobs back. How are they going to do that if illegals are allowed to remain here and retain those jobs? Since when is rewarding law breaking a good thing? It's also a slap in the fact to immigrants who paid their dues and came here the right way. It would also negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration for years to come. And finally, we were told there would be no more amnesties back in 1986. How many more times will that promise be broken?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:16 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,130,354 times
Quote:
Well, gee, then we shouldn't have any laws at all, because there will always be some people who will break them. But if there were real penalties, like jail time, and a few examples are made, most smart people will decide the risk isn't worth it. And it will cost virtually nothing to implement.

And then we can take that $5 million and put it where it's really needed, on our crumbling infrastructure. Hopefully before another bridge collapses and kills people.
By all means, the laws should be in place. Just don't expect it to be very effective in the case of people hiring illegals under the table.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:15 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,125,378 times
Quote:
The American Society of Civil Engineers has given American infrastructure an overall grade of D+. Our roads, bridges, dams, airports, drinking water, energy grid, waterways and levees all are in desperate shape.

https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

This is where we should be concentrating the billions of dollars the president wants to waste on a wall.
We have state governments you know. It's they who are responsible for taking care of all of that.

The federal government is actually tasked with enforcing our immigration laws, and preventing illegal border crossings.

Over the decades the DEMOCRATS have voted for, and signed into law, legislation to erect border fencing. That fencing has become run down, or some of the designs have proven to be inadequate, and some fencing has been damaged.

So it's not like border fencing was "an immorality" when the DEMOCRATS were building them. Nope, it's only under Trump, where the same dems who voted for previous fencing, now refuse to do so.

This refusal to fund border security is nothing but petty, politics, vengeful, Democratic Party partisanship.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 776,393 times
5 billion dollars won't fix American infrastructure. It's like saying spend this $10 to fix your home's foundation. It's not enough. I should also add, the wall is technically infrastructure, supported by close to 40% of the electorate and doing so would make them happy and reopen the government (the shutdown has so far cost America more).

If Americans hate other Americans so much they won't give the other half (ok 40%) 5 billion dollars when the budget is 4.5 trillion dollars then you guys will eventually have a civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.