Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In all fairness, what used to be called "ebonics" does have grammar rules.

All language evolves constantly. We've decided, as a society, that the rules the White people speak are correct, and the rules traditionally Black people use are incorrect.

Because we can.

And also, language used by Cajuns is incorrect.

But when educated white people change words (for example, an alternate definition of literally is now figuratively, as in "My eyes literally popped out of my head") they become a part of the accepted correct language. A coffee. Do lunch.
Tasked with. A big ask.

These are accepted as correct, but they aren't traditionally correct.
Ebonics is the English language mangled by uneducated idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 08:04 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm involved with a fairly large open source project that includes people across the entire globe. Everyone involved with this project at the very least can type and read standard English fluently, for many of them it's not their first language. If you cannot do that you will not be considered for this software project because everyone needs to be able to communicate on the same level. Someone from the US with poor grammar skills would not be considered either.

You can make arguments about who is making the rules of English but if you cannot communicate with the rules agreed upon by the majority you are going to be left behind.
...left behind shrieking ‘racism!!’ would be more accurate apparently.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
It's not hard to learn English grammar.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:19 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11768

Teachers and professors shouldn't grade based on grammar, to do so would be oppressive.

Will it be harder to get professional jobs if you can't have reasonable grammar standards? Won't this hurt those it intends to help?

I remembered this topic about 20 years ago coming up in college. This isn't much different than the professor who wanted to grade math based on the race of the student for social justice.
When I used to watch professional sports talk shows I'd observe hall of famer announcers/sportscasters say things like this...

M.I.: ... so leme aks you a queshun...

Makes me realize stupidity is both attitudinal and willful.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
when i went to high school it was one semester grammar and 3 1/2 year literature. i guess they wanted you to be educated. and it had hurt me in my job since

Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
when i went to high school it was one semester grammar and 3 1/2 year literature. i guess they wanted you to be educated. and it had hurt me in my job since
You should have been taught grammar throughout school, from the primary grades through middle school and into high school.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Speaking of proper grammar, look at your post here.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:16 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't disagree with you there; but we do need to realize that we're preferring our dialect/community English over theirs, and calling theirs incorrect but calling our morphing language/grammar/vocabulary rules the correct ones.

I agree that those who don't use the language of the majority will be left behind - but I think it's important to understand that ours isn't necessarily BETTER - it's just OURS.

Their language has specific rules and vocabulary, also. It's just important, that although no one will change it, it needs to be stated.

Ours is better than yours because we say so.
No we can say "ours" is just flat out better. "Thiers" sounds way too uneducated and dumb. It's not simply a replacement of words, it's mispronunciations and misspellings and flat out made up words that don't even make sense nor exist in the dictionary. What you are condoning is complete idiocy where people aren't ashamed to show how much of an idiot they really are.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:17 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Ebonics is the English language mangled by uneducated idiots.
exactly

Old 01-22-2019, 06:31 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
This is all so incredibly cringey. I should stay away, but...

Ebonics is stupid and offensive. Please stop perpetuating the stereotype that [all/most] black people speak ebonics. IMO (for what it’s worth, which is probably zero), it is not correct, and it shouldn’t be defended as some ridiculous standard for black people.

It’s slang at best; ignorance at worst. All races use slang, and all races have ignorant people.

I’ll probably regret injecting myself here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies