U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:11 PM

17,381 posts, read 9,005,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
He can continue both, and use the money made from Microsoft to help continue fund the Gates Foundation for infinity, it doesn't have to be an either or thing!
Think this way, without Microsoft, we wouldn’t even have the foundation. You want to thank the foundation, you should thank Microsoft first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:16 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,904,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Think this way, without Microsoft, we wouldn’t even have the foundation. You want to thank the foundation, you should thank Microsoft first.
I already did, read the rest of my post!

I never said Microsoft is bad, far from it, in fact it helped him create and fund his foundation. I'm all for these people to make, amass whatever monetary wealth they have and did, I was just pointing out most have agreed to give a large chunk of their created wealth to fund research and other endeavors to help make the world a better place. I think we are actually on the same page.

Old Today, 02:16 PM

7,892 posts, read 2,119,979 times
Quote:
I fail to see how that is a problem unless you are just vying for their money.

Life isnít all about money.
Youíre right.

Itís about the power over other peopleís lives and the global economic system this money allows them.

Old Today, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Maybe you should also post all the billions Buffet, the Gates, Zukerberg, etc. have already donated/given away and how much they plan on donating in the future. While these people do have tremendous wealth, if you define wealth as a monetary thing, the also have pledged to give away most of their wealth, which is a good thing!
The power should not be in their hands how great wealth is distributed, why are these billions rightfully in their hands.

Itís like a benevolent king using his power for good. Ok, but should one person have that much power?

Old Today, 02:21 PM

Quote:
It still wouldnít.

Microsoft has improved our life so much itís beyond our imagination. Think if we all stop using our Microsoft products, how many people would die?

By the way, I am not a fan of Bill Gates at all.
You believe BG deserves credit for the work of programmers and medical doctors who made these advances happen.

BG wealth allowed them to do it, he did not himself do it. Itís like a king allowing people to do good, do you want to keep giving him more power?

Old Today, 02:22 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,904,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The power should not be in their hands how great wealth is distributed, why are these billions rightfully in their hands.

Itís like a benevolent king using his power for good. Ok, but should one person have that much power?
No one ever said life had to be fair, think about it this way, at least they are willing to give away their billions to help fund research and other endeavors, there is no law that requires them to do so!

So I'm assuming you are proposing some sort of cap on what they can earn, say like $100 million or $10 million?

Old Today, 02:25 PM

11,646 posts, read 7,044,353 times
Quote:
Report: 26 People Own as Much as the Poorest 3.8 Billion | Time

Please, tell me how these rich people worked harder than everyone else to get here. Tell me why having unelected elite ruling the global economy while keeping everyone else in poverty is good.

Please, tell me.
I'll try, but you kiddies there in Left Field have to learn to think a little deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
They did'nt. The biggest scam is that people think 26 rich people work harder then 1.6 billion.
The wealth you envy, and seek to seize and "redistribute" exists mostly o paper; It exists only in the form of ownership of successful enterprises. Some of it is inherited, but a substantial number of these people are entirely, substantially, self-made; think Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos -- neither of whom started out wealthy.

f you think you have a better idea, you're free to try it; (just don't expect to use force to get your way)

And you can't force those individuals to liquidate their life's work; if you did, the wealth represented by the common stockv0f their enterprises would simply evaporate.

What part of this can't you understand?

I don't expect a rational response from a mob of would-be looters.

Quote:
You believe BG deserves credit for the work of programmers and medical doctors who made these advances happen.

BG wealth allowed them to do it, he did not himself do it. It’s like a king allowing people to do good, do you want to keep giving him more power?
Those individuals agreed to workfor a salary; if they think they can do better on their own next time around (and some have).

Old Today, 02:28 PM

6,175 posts, read 1,897,866 times
Quote:
Report: 26 People Own as Much as the Poorest 3.8 Billion | Time

Please, tell me how these rich people worked harder than everyone else to get here. Tell me why having unelected elite ruling the global economy while keeping everyone else in poverty is good.

Please, tell me.
Their wealth is largely due to their fellow citizens who built and maintained the social infrastructure that facilitated their success (which is certainly due in part to their own talents and efforts as well) and protects their assets against criminal aggression. In other words, their wealth is in large part due to capturing and privatizing positive externalities created by their fellow citizens.

I agree with James Bowery's proposal for a property tax on assets beyond what is necessary for subsistence.

Bowery identifies "the subsidy of wealth built into any society that protects property rights by taxing economic activity [income]. The would-be upwardly mobile pay the bills—not the recipients of the primary government service: protection of unnatural concentrations of wealth."

The proceeds of the tax would be used to pay citizen’s dividends (universal income), which would be paid equally to all adult citizens and which would replace all other government transfer programs.

Old Today, 02:31 PM

6,175 posts, read 1,897,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Lol if you think capitalism is what brought us to this.
This is exactly what capitalism is (centralization of wealth by actors released from social responsibility), and it's why the term has had negative connotations for centuries.

Old Today, 02:31 PM

21,514 posts, read 11,014,714 times
I’m still trying to figure out how if I buy a Microsoft or Apple product that makes some one in Africa poorer.

I just sent $200 to an impoverished niece in the Philippines. She can thank capitalism for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or